Horse Retirement Suggestions

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Chef, May 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mrs Chef has a horse that is a bit broken and needs to be retired, possibly, in the next 4-6weeks. The dobbin is a mild mannered, 18 year gelding. She's got a place in Essex to look at this weekend.

Are there any good places, or ones to avoid, within a 50 mile radius of South Mimms services. She has a box for transport and would take him further, but would like to be able to visit every now and then.

Thanks for any pointers.

PS. This has nothing to do with my last thread on this forum, honest.

2. 220px-Corned-beef-1.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  3. Maggot farm or glue factory?

4. Ta for that fairy nuff, the rest of you are being childish!!! Mind you my offers to name the dobbins have always been refused;

Spatchcock
    Pritstik
    not forgetting
    Harold Tite.

5. Glue factory ?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9380 using Tapatalk

6. Pferdemostbroekli

[​IMG]

Yum!

7. Ask Dobbin is clearly a much-loved member of the family, I hesitate to suggest Battersea Dogs Home.

8. Some brutally honest posts here. The animal is your responsibility, if you have no further use for it, do the courageous thing and have it put down, don't just move it on to make space in the loose box. You wouldn't kick out an old dog, would you?

B

• Like Like x 2
  9. Well the Horse Trust take in ex military and police horses plus horses in this situation as they have vets on hand. Don't know if they charge a fee for upkeep.

10. My boss's view on horses:

"Liebä zum ässä als daruf z'reitä"
    "Better to eat than to ride on"

Personally, I'm bi-horseual: I like 'em both ways ;)

11. Chef dobbin isn't being kicked out onto the streets though, or passed on to another owner. He will still be part of the Chef family and Mrs Chef will be paying for him to be live a natural horse life with no riding and just hanging out with his fieldmates, eating grass, rolling in mud and sleeping in the sunshine (when we get any). Like a bunch of old blokes at their club.

That's a kind and responsible thing to do for a horse who has worked hard for you, when he can no longer be ridden but is sound enough to enjoy an undemanding life in a field with other horses. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. I know a couple who now have five horses as a direct result of that approach, only two of which can be ridden. Costs them a small fortune.

Do they regret it? Of course not.

13. Whose Hunt Country are you in? The Kennelman will probably take it off your hands for free. Hounds love a bit of nag for Sunday lunch.