horror stories from basic training?

Ref last from joobs, yeah actually I did love it in a strange kind of way!! Was a bit of a sickener getting an extra 6 months after already done a year though. However, I didn't really give a f***, as I had already passed P Coy. Was just a bit crap watching all my muckers going off to Bn as I sat there with a pot on my leg. There were two other blokes who were in Retreads at the same time, that were in the same boat as me (ie waiting to rejoin a Para course after being injured jumping). All three of us went to Brize together and passed out with 551 Plt. Both of them were later killed in fights at home in two seperate incidents. F***** sad.

bitty said:
well, that turned into quite a barney didn't it chaps? i think it might have slighted drifted away from my original post but its all been entertaining!

So, did you join up or not?

Mr_Deputy said:
Be prepared for loads of ironing. Get your locker in as good state as possible - ready to grab what you needfor the day so work out in the evening what you'll need for the next day - bergen/rocket packs/PT kit/ and so on. Get it dry/clean and have it ready because you might only get a couple of minutes to jump from one task to another (as in real life) and there is no hanging about when told to 'get outside' Dont be the guy who has shorts, one trainer, one combat boot, a comat jacket and respirator on when everyone else is in PT kit. Dont do it to yourself because it was so funny for the rest of us. It was nearly me once because I did not actually have a locker - I had to use an alcove in a store room as I was the last to get allocated a locker. Not best pleased.

We also got taught the wrong drills in Skill At Arms - different to what would be in the final test. So most of my squad initially failed. I think it was down to having one regiment teaching and another more demanding one (Paras) doing the test. It was frigging annoying. So one saturday night picture all Troops trooping off into town for a few beers and one small squad split up into pairs drinking bloody hot chocolate and trying to stay calm and un-learn the drills we'd been taught and get the drills ....the ever-so-slightly different drills learnt automatically. We did it. Was well pleased to get on the range - was very pleased indeed walking thru the camp on my own with the weapon to the range with it now a 'real one' about to fire it and it not just a 9lb (or whatever) lump of metal and 'plastic.'

Shooting is quite tiring or shold be if you are doing it properly. Concentrate on all the info on wind etc. Getting good scores is another buzz and gives you confidence for the rest. Be prepared to get messed about a bit on the range etc. A foot on top of your head is not uncommon. Get your legs in right position etc or prepared to get a nasty kick. I just got a foot on the head for some reason.

(Also remember not to get issued a left-handed repirator at any point or you cant fire the weapon with it on. I did and no-one realised - me not being an expert on gas masks - until it came to NBC/Weapons drills. ) Which was good as I got to shoot without it - quite happy on a hot sunny day!

Out on exercise, keep a tight reign on orders etc. Find out what the plans are - are you attacking or defending?
Again - I had a member of staff who had no idea what was going on. Same bloke as above actually - had family problems off base so wasn't around all the time and missed a briefing or too. A couple of us (knowing he was off form) would ask him as a calmly as poss wht we should expect to be ready for and he would just walk off muttering or come out with two conflicting bits of advice. Wanting to do well and enjoy it it was hard not to want to chuck our dummies in. We did think about asking for a new one! But thought better of it. Make do with what you've got and make sure you show that in all you do. Its a key part of the course.

I found stuffing my side pocket on my combat jacket with sweets etc a good idea. Keep you alert when sleep deprivation kicks in a bit. At night remove all wrappers and put the sweets in a polly bag from rations - sweet wrappers make lots of noise at night.

Be prepared that someone MIGHT spread around some kind of disease - we had a nasty summer flu - it was unavoidable and I was one of the last to get it but it was a b*strd. Like swallowing broken glass. If so just get thru it. There will normally be someone to give you a hand or motivate. I had someone help me on a run - just to keep time with me and keep me sprinting instead of having breaks. I did a great time and was proud and it probably sweated out the last of the flu as well.

Have a laugh. Embrace the knowledge that you're getting (map reading, PT, etc etc are all things which have stuck with me and I've got more out of life as a result. Also the huge amount of confidence - not necessarily arrogance - that comes with doing something very tough and from doing it well.) If you are a good type and DO get beasted then dont let it get to you. Probably just means it's your turn.
What Cap Badge are you?

Golf_one_one said:
What Cap Badge are you?
He must be Royal Corps of Walts, known as RW (Right W*nkers) for short...

no Golf, i didn't join up. failed the hearing test on the medical. bit of a bummer but maybe it wasn't for me after all. i'm now joining kent police instead! and i'm not impressed with the fat fcukers i'm joining up with...

Similar question but with a difference, I start basic on Monday at ATR Lichfield.

Will I have any time to read a book if I bring one or listen to a CD player if I bring one?

And is there anything I should bring that won't be on the list?

Also any last minute advice? (Ie level of arse kissing required when a RSM/BSM/SM is about)

Ps - Royal Mail finally delivered my papers this morning complete with;

*torn envelope

*missing travel warrant

*label that read "With our sincere apologies"

Take a walkman, mine saved my sanity. Chances are you wont have time to read a book, if your not doing your kit or lessons, you will be sleeping. Dont arse kiss, simply dig in, focus, work hard, respect the instructors, dont take the b#llockings to heart because you WILL get lots of them, and well done on taking the kings shilling.
As for kit not on the list, theres only one thing you MUST have with you- take a sense of humour (the gas chamber, mwahahahaha).

Enjoy and good luck

MP3 players are for winners - rechargeable batteries (with charger, obviously) might be useful.

Books are good - and occasionally good to escape from the lunacy - but please not crap like Andy McNab or military survival as the instructors will immediately clock you as a) an arrselicker and b) a sadcase walt. I suppose if you want to be interesting you could take Das Kapital, Mein Kampf and The Koran. They'll think you're a nutter and leave you alone.

Remember the bit in Saving Private Ryan? "What's your purpose in life, soldier? To do whatever you tell me to, Drill Sgt". That's exactly what you need to do. There's an Army saying "cassette out, cassette in" and it basically means forget all your programming (e.g. common sense), focus on the short-term, get through whatever lessons you're on and just shut up and do exactly what they want you to do. And please please please resist the temptation to say stuff like "what's the point of that" and "this is stupid" because it might seem bullsh** at the time but basic training does actually work and you'll be a stronger person at the end of it. Then once you pass out, you can gradually return to being a normal person and devote the next few years to drinking and shagging. Mint!

Mr_Deputy said:
I found stuffing my side pocket on my combat jacket with sweets etc a good idea. Keep you alert when sleep deprivation kicks in a bit. At night remove all wrappers and put the sweets in a polly bag from rations - sweet wrappers make lots of noise at night.
Good piece of advice that. Sweets = morale on exercise. Seriously. Rather than take out big mars bars etc, get those little 'celebrations' type ones. Jelly babies, opal fruits, liquorice allsorts and others that won't break your teeth in winter are good.

I also believe that many squaddies take a spare sock on exercise. I'll let you work it out.

slab

Old-Salt
Did my Phase 1 at Deepcut in 84, so things may have changed but I am sure some basic rules still apply:

1. Remember that Phase 1 is designed to transform you from a civvie to soldier.

2. Don't expect it to be easy.

3. Give 100% mentally and physically.

4. Get as fit as you can prior to joining with the emphasis on aeroboc fitness - running, circuits etc.

5. Look after your feet - toenails heels etc.

6. Don't be a grot: keep yourself and your kit clean & pressed, even when the easiest thing is to collapse on your pit 'cos your too knackered. A helpful hint with your locker: wipe the shelves down with a weak solution of dettol.

7. Don't think about or analyse too much what you are doing - just get on with it. Everything is for a reason.

8. Expect to be shouted at properly.

9. Get up 15 mins before everyone else.

10. Enjoy the experience.

I transferred to INT CORPS some years later. Phase 2 training obviously gives you the special to arm skills and tradecraft you will need. See the Int Corps forum for more information.

Good luck

slab said:
Did my Phase 1 at Deepcut in 84...
And you survived? That must have been before that serial killer moved in and started slotting recruits.

PoisonDwarf said:
Remember the bit in Saving Private Ryan? "What's your purpose in life, soldier? To do whatever you tell me to, Drill Sgt".
Hate to be picky PD but I would hate these youngsters to go through life quoting this out of context, wasn't that quote from 'Forrest Gump'?

Admittedly, it was Tom Hanks in either case.

Join Army, attend basic training, shut mouth, work hard, do as you are told. Fcuking simple