Hornby buy Airfix

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BoomShackerLacker, Nov 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just heard t'report on t'wireless.

Hornby to the rescue!

Can just see the InterCity125 pulling into the green canopied station with all the little plastic people rushing out to get on a Lancaster bomber, brush the dust off first of course... *gibberhibberlibber*

2. £2.6m ain't bad deal guv considering their heritage, but few kids in the playground swap stories of how 'wicked' it was gluing to the two halves of HMS Hermes' hull together when they never quite fitted properly.

My old Meccano is hidden in the loft mwhwhahahaa

3. It's OK them taking the business from Airfix, the big problem is will the French release the remaining moulds that they have, as previously they didn't release half of the selection to the previous owners and limited the range of kits. :wink:

4. Excellent news - another generation of people glueing bits of Spitfire to themselves, arrsing up the decals or the paint job and then torching the thing in the back garden.*

Paint parts and allow to dry before assembly? Bollox!

*This can be made more impressive if you improvise internal fuel tanks, bomb loads etc by filling the fuselage with gunpowder, lighter flui, magnesium powder etc. Oh what fun.*

** Edited to point out that (a) I know, I needed to get out more and (b) may be why I occasionally was missing eyebrows

5. Oh yes, I used to do that. My preferred variation was to build a banger into the fuselage (easier with jets as the fuse could stick out of the tail pipe), fit a couple of curtain rings to the top, and run some string from my bedroom window to the end of the garden.

Put the model on the string, light the fuse and let it go. Spectacular mid-air explosions – great fun! My mother wasn’t too impressed, though. :twisted:

6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Borrocks - just as the RAF had nearly sorted out its next aircraft contract. Will they still come with that little pilot?

7. Maybe we will now get the Navy up to strength?

8. blue-sophist

Do you mean reinforcing the Fleet Train? :oops:

9. :twisted:
    Or tape them to a big rocket..did this with a Me110 once, up it went into a tree caught fire and dripped molten Polystyrene(sp) onto my mums washing :oops: Now children don't do this at home :twisted:

10. As an aside - anyone remember the 'Jetex' motor?

11. blue-sophist

God, I am old!

Mind you, I remember my clockwork "O" gauge Hornby as well - bet that would be worth a few dollars.

12. I thought they were banned?

13. So did I - saw one in use in NZ last year!

14. Was that the clockwork one with a tender, one carriage, guards van points and rails?

I had one of those and sold it to get some money in when my OM pissed off and left my mother and I in the brown and bubbly in 1963.
    They're worth a mint nowadays in reasonable order.