Hornby buy Airfix

#1
Just heard t'report on t'wireless.

Hornby to the rescue!

Can just see the InterCity125 pulling into the green canopied station with all the little plastic people rushing out to get on a Lancaster bomber, brush the dust off first of course... *gibberhibberlibber*
 
#3
mukhabarat2003 said:
Here's the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6134988.stm

I used to have Meccano too!
Model train maker Hornby is to buy fellow UK collectibles business Airfix for £2.6m ($5m).
Hornby will take control of the Airfix model kit company from administrators at Airfix's parent firm Humbrol.
£2.6m ain't bad deal guv considering their heritage, but few kids in the playground swap stories of how 'wicked' it was gluing to the two halves of HMS Hermes' hull together when they never quite fitted properly.

My old Meccano is hidden in the loft mwhwhahahaa
 
#4
BoomShackerLacker said:
mukhabarat2003 said:
Here's the link:

I used to have Meccano too!
Model train maker Hornby is to buy fellow UK collectibles business Airfix for £2.6m ($5m).
Hornby will take control of the Airfix model kit company from administrators at Airfix's parent firm Humbrol.
It's OK them taking the business from Airfix, the big problem is will the French release the remaining moulds that they have, as previously they didn't release half of the selection to the previous owners and limited the range of kits. :wink:
 
#5
Excellent news - another generation of people glueing bits of Spitfire to themselves, arrsing up the decals or the paint job and then torching the thing in the back garden.*

Paint parts and allow to dry before assembly? Bollox!



*This can be made more impressive if you improvise internal fuel tanks, bomb loads etc by filling the fuselage with gunpowder, lighter flui, magnesium powder etc. Oh what fun.*


** Edited to point out that (a) I know, I needed to get out more and (b) may be why I occasionally was missing eyebrows
 
#6
Civvy_Shot said:
*This can be made more impressive if you improvise internal fuel tanks, bomb loads etc by filling the fuselage with gunpowder, lighter flui, magnesium powder etc. Oh what fun.*
Oh yes, I used to do that. My preferred variation was to build a banger into the fuselage (easier with jets as the fuse could stick out of the tail pipe), fit a couple of curtain rings to the top, and run some string from my bedroom window to the end of the garden.

Put the model on the string, light the fuse and let it go. Spectacular mid-air explosions – great fun! My mother wasn’t too impressed, though. :twisted:
 
#10
:twisted:
Chinggis said:
Civvy_Shot said:
*This can be made more impressive if you improvise internal fuel tanks, bomb loads etc by filling the fuselage with gunpowder, lighter flui, magnesium powder etc. Oh what fun.*
Oh yes, I used to do that. My preferred variation was to build a banger into the fuselage (easier with jets as the fuse could stick out of the tail pipe), fit a couple of curtain rings to the top, and run some string from my bedroom window to the end of the garden.

Put the model on the string, light the fuse and let it go. Spectacular mid-air explosions – great fun! My mother wasn’t too impressed, though. :twisted:
Or tape them to a big rocket..did this with a Me110 once, up it went into a tree caught fire and dripped molten Polystyrene(sp) onto my mums washing :oops: Now children don't do this at home :twisted:
 
#15
blue_sophist said:
mukhabarat2003 said:
As an aside - anyone remember the 'Jetex' motor?
God, I am old!

Mind you, I remember my clockwork "O" gauge Hornby as well - bet that would be worth a few dollars.

Was that the clockwork one with a tender, one carriage, guards van points and rails?

I had one of those and sold it to get some money in when my OM pissed off and left my mother and I in the brown and bubbly in 1963.
They're worth a mint nowadays in reasonable order.
 
#16
mukhabarat2003 said:
blue_sophist said:
mukhabarat2003 said:
As an aside - anyone remember the 'Jetex' motor?
God, I am old!

Mind you, I remember my clockwork "O" gauge Hornby as well - bet that would be worth a few dollars.

Was that the clockwork one with a tender, one carriage, guards van points and rails?

I had one of those and sold it to get some money in when my OM pissed off and left my mother and I in the brown and bubbly in 1963.
They're worth a mint nowadays in reasonable order.
Had, if I remember, 2 locos 0-2-0, 2 carriages, a van with a sliding door, guards van - God, I was a spoilt brat! :lol:
 
#18
blue_sophist said:
Borrocks - just as the RAF had nearly sorted out its next aircraft contract. Will they still come with that little pilot?
Is the Airfix Eurofighter in service yet?
 
#19
8O

Great stuff lads... not to be outdone

Anyone else have the metholated spirits track cleaning wagon? Marvellous I tell you.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top