Horizon: What is Reality?

B

Boozy

Just a quick heads up on Horizon on BBC2 right now, looks interesting I only discovered it just now by chance channel flicking...here is the programme description.

There is a strange and mysterious world that surrounds us, a world largely hidden from our senses. The quest to explain the true nature of reality is one of the great scientific detective stories.
Clues have been pieced together from deep within the atom, from the event horizon of black holes, and from the far reaches of the cosmos. It may be that that we are part of a cosmic hologram, projected from the edge of the universe. Or that we exist in an infinity of parallel worlds. Your reality may never look quite the same again.
Should be on iplayer later as well

Mostly because it's nonsense.
It was a bit fanciful. "We do not know how to explain phenomena we haven't actually identified so here is one possibility............."

As for the 2 slit experiment; it seems a bit obvious to me. The centre zone is an area of raised concentration, where the weaker outer zones of the other 2 concentrations overlap, bringing it above the demonstrable threshold of detection. Maybe, it could be, you never know.

Don't worry about it... nothing really matters. What you can see, feel, touch, smell, eat, shag and laugh at are things that count...Just accept that you are trapped in a system with a body that will desolve into nothing very quickly so use your senses to their best advantage. Reality is what you make it.... :)

B

Boozy

If we can be in two places at once, and there is the possibility of infinite realities in which we're all doin different things/making different choices, that means somewhere out there is a 'me' who's won the lottery, married Sam Worthington, got a great job and has 4 well behaved lovely children....

Short of kidnappin Sam Worthington and hoping he gets Stockholm Syndrome I'm not too sure how I would make this reality happen! haha :)

42 is the answer .
The mice said so...
Only because Deep Thought told the Magratheans.

I was interested in the end note that everything we experience might be a mathematical construct. An idea that fits the theories of fans of both Douglas Adams and The Matrix. Not that I'm suggesting that all of these scientists could be geeks of course.

If we can be in two places at once, and there is the possibility of infinite realities in which we're all doin different things/making different choices, that means somewhere out there is a 'me' who's won the lottery, married Sam Worthington, got a great job and has 4 well behaved lovely children....

Short of kidnappin Sam Worthington and hoping he gets Stockholm Syndrome I'm not too sure how I would make this reality happen! haha :)
Don't forget the one in which you are incarcerated in an all-female prison with a bunch of largish, short-haired ladies, any one of whom could hand launch a Hercules and use an Apache for playing darts.

Don't forget the one in which you are incarcerated in an all-female prison with a bunch of largish, short-haired ladies, any one of whom could hand launch a Hercules and use an Apache for playing darts.
Sounds like certain nightclubs in Dursley.... or 'Vanilla' in Manchester... real class....don't ask me how I know! :)

I don't give a stuff about what I am doing in the other dimensions...this is the only one that counts...party hard!

Just a quick heads up on Horizon on BBC2 right now, looks interesting I only discovered it just now by chance channel flicking..
A good example of the media managing to compress 5 minutes into an hour - way too waffly with an excess of 'meaningful' shots. Compare and contrast with Iain Stewart's 'Men of Rock' or the re-run of the The Planets; both of the latter made, IMO, better use of time and conveyed far more information.

Sounds very like Plato's 'Allegory of the Cave', a quick extract from Wikipedia below...

Socrates describes a group of people who have lived chained to the wall of a cave all of their lives, facing a blank wall. The people watch shadows projected on the wall by things passing in front of a fire behind them, and begin to ascribe forms to these shadows. According to Socrates, the shadows are as close as the prisoners get to viewing reality. He then explains how the philosopher is like a prisoner who is freed from the cave and comes to understand that the shadows on the wall are not constitutive of reality at all, as he can perceive the true form of reality rather than the mere shadows seen by the prisoners.
Very interesting but sore on the brain!

Marx said philosophers have explained life and reality.
The point however is to change it.

totally agree-its what you make it.
you get dealt a hand of life chances, and have to make choices to enhance or destroy these

Marx also said I wouldnt want to be a member of a club that would have me.
different Marx though!

Sounds very like Plato's 'Allegory of the Cave', a quick extract from Wikipedia below...

That's the problem with philosophy....conjuring tricks, not necessarily truthful. Science based knowledge is also a bit woolly but it's more reliable than untested ideas.

Marx said philosophers have explained life and reality.
The point however is to change it.

totally agree-its what you make it.
you get dealt a hand of life chances, and have to make choices to enhance or destroy these

Marx also said I wouldnt want to be a member of a club that would have me.
different Marx though!
I'm with Groucho.. :)

... But still not necessarily truthful.

... whatever 'truth' is. :)
Absolutely...We can't even agree what an 'idea' is or where it comes from let alone testing the 'theory'. But ideas/theories whatever they are should be scrutinised using the best tools available. The scientific method.

Theories that do not have a tangible basis are likely to be flawed or implausible....Theories with substantial research and objective testing usually produce good quality results pointing towards truth or not.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Absolutely...We can't even agree what an 'idea' is or where it comes from let alone testing the 'theory'. But ideas/theories whatever they are should be scrutinised using the best tools available. The scientific method.

Theories that do not have a tangible basis are likely to be flawed or implausible....Theories with substantial research and objective testing usually produce good quality results pointing towards truth or not.
As I said on a different thread, that last statement is very debatable. It's unclear that anything really points towards truth and, if it does, we have no way of knowing what that truth is.

As I said on a different thread, that last statement is very debatable. It's unclear that anything really points towards truth and, if it does, we have no way of knowing what that truth is.
Of course you may be right...but it's not such a strong statement if we accept that the Earth is a spherical shape...then add on thousands of other discoveries through science that indicate what is generally called truth...perhaps not the whole truth but close enough to make it very likely.

Predictably, this thread has devolved into the same struggle as the last one.
Paddy, I hope that you will agree that these threads are about the most important subjects of all. They are predictable because you can't do or say anything without taking such matters into account. Not unless one is a moron or brain dead.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Resurgam Gunners 5
T Aviation 12
G Current Affairs, News and Analysis 30