Horizon: What is Reality?

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Boozy, Jan 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick heads up on Horizon on BBC2 right now, looks interesting I only discovered it just now by chance channel flicking...here is the programme description.

Should be on iplayer later as well
  2. Just reading that synopsis makes my brain hurt.
  3. 42 is the answer .
    The mice said so...
  4. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Mostly because it's nonsense.
  5. It was a bit fanciful. "We do not know how to explain phenomena we haven't actually identified so here is one possibility............."

As for the 2 slit experiment; it seems a bit obvious to me. The centre zone is an area of raised concentration, where the weaker outer zones of the other 2 concentrations overlap, bringing it above the demonstrable threshold of detection. Maybe, it could be, you never know.
  6. Don't worry about it... nothing really matters. What you can see, feel, touch, smell, eat, shag and laugh at are things that count...Just accept that you are trapped in a system with a body that will desolve into nothing very quickly so use your senses to their best advantage. Reality is what you make it.... :)
  7. If we can be in two places at once, and there is the possibility of infinite realities in which we're all doin different things/making different choices, that means somewhere out there is a 'me' who's won the lottery, married Sam Worthington, got a great job and has 4 well behaved lovely children....

Short of kidnappin Sam Worthington and hoping he gets Stockholm Syndrome I'm not too sure how I would make this reality happen! haha :)
  8. Only because Deep Thought told the Magratheans.

I was interested in the end note that everything we experience might be a mathematical construct. An idea that fits the theories of fans of both Douglas Adams and The Matrix. Not that I'm suggesting that all of these scientists could be geeks of course.
  9. reality is the perception of the majority.
    Outside of the Geniverse that is.
  10. Don't forget the one in which you are incarcerated in an all-female prison with a bunch of largish, short-haired ladies, any one of whom could hand launch a Hercules and use an Apache for playing darts.
  11. Sounds like certain nightclubs in Dursley.... or 'Vanilla' in Manchester... real class....don't ask me how I know! :)

I don't give a stuff about what I am doing in the other dimensions...this is the only one that counts...party hard!
  12. A good example of the media managing to compress 5 minutes into an hour - way too waffly with an excess of 'meaningful' shots. Compare and contrast with Iain Stewart's 'Men of Rock' or the re-run of the The Planets; both of the latter made, IMO, better use of time and conveyed far more information.
  13. Sounds very like Plato's 'Allegory of the Cave', a quick extract from Wikipedia below...

Very interesting but sore on the brain!
  14. Marx said philosophers have explained life and reality.
    The point however is to change it.

totally agree-its what you make it.
    you get dealt a hand of life chances, and have to make choices to enhance or destroy these

Marx also said I wouldnt want to be a member of a club that would have me.
    different Marx though!
  15. That's the problem with philosophy....conjuring tricks, not necessarily truthful. Science based knowledge is also a bit woolly but it's more reliable than untested ideas.

I'm with Groucho.. :)