Hopping on crab air flights

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by LondonTankie, Feb 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was told by one of the faceless heirachy, that as a serving soldier it's possible to try and hop on a free seat from brize going to Canada or batus, is this true and how can I do it?

Cheers chaps
  2. Try searching for 'Indulgence flights' here - there's been a few threads on it. Or when you're at work ask your clerks for a copy of the JSP/DIN/whatever.

You may find indulging is cheaper, but you'll also find proper airlines are a hell of a lot more reliable. Good luck!

3. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

I tried to get an Indulgence flight jacked up for Belize. I was given a very honest answer by the blutac hat I spoke to.

"You can certainly book it. Whether or not the flight actually takes off is another matter."
  4. And whether it comes back when you need it to is yet another, which is why you have to demonstrate that you have the means to pay for a full-fare ticket home.
  5. A Capt I know did it to Cyprus last year. He got himself and his young family out there OK but spent more money trying to get them all back after it went tits up than he would have done if he had got standard returns with the civvie airline!
  6. MrBane

The only way I'd use Indulgence is if it was one way or if I was on my own and knew for a fact if it went tits up that I'd have a bunk in a block somewhere to doss in whilst I waited for it to get sorted.

Would never risk it with anything that involved deadlines or tying in to other flights.
  7. I always use the benchmark of: If the RAF can delay flights to operational theatres by more than 48 hrs, what do you think their reliability to non-op areas is like?

Top tip.

You'd be better off grabbing a chicken in a cage, settling down in a DC-10 and paying $250 to a chain-smoking, alcoholic, ex-'Nam pilot to fly you to your destination - chances are you'll get there in better nick than with Crab Air.
  8. MrBane

Also have free in-flight entertainment too! :)
  9. Which will also double up as a decent meal when you become bored with it.
  10. used to use indulgence flights all the time when we were posted to Berlin, cheap as chips.