Hoping to become a TA officer at uni

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by charlie1989, May 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone, just signed up to arsse.

I'm doing my a-levels now and hope to join the TA soo afterwards and continue it at university.

I've got an appointment with my local recruiter to sort out the paperwork and get the ball rolling.

They said on the phone that should be possible to do the module 1 course in September before uni (this should also balance out freshers week unhealthy behaviour!)

Do many students make it as officers? and what sort of timescale are you looking at? I know a lot of students join via the OTC but there isnt one where i'm hoping to go (Durham).

I'm really commited to becoming an officer in the TA and hope to qualify as soon as possible. (apparently 2/3 years from joining. is it possible to do it much quicker?)

I was also hoping to concentrate my training into the uni holidays (i.e. 2 weeks in December and at easter and a month over the summer) as opposed to regular evenings which would make student life pretty difficult.

Sorry for the rambling of this message. It's been an idea of mine for years and it's only now that several mates are leaving school to join the army that i've really decided the TA is for me. I'm not sure if i can say so on here, but i'd really want to do a tour in the Gulf.

One final question: is the TA quite strict on peoples hair? Just that i've always had a slight afro, doesnt cover my eyes when swimming or wearing hats but it's obviously a long way from being a jarhead. Are they understanding that a lot of the guys want to have slightly longer hair?

Thanks in advance,
    Charlie

2. msr

msr LE

3. Cheers for that link, when i saw there wasn't a Durham one i assumed it wasn't available there.

I'm still a lot more interested in joining the TA. I'm not looking at joining the armed forces full time after uni and would much prefer the genuine army aspect of the TA (ie. chance of deployment) than the army cadet style of the OTC, which from what i've heard puts only a few candidates into direct TA officer selection and mainly tries to attract students towards the full time Sandhurst course after graduation.

80% of cadets at Sandhurst were members and all of its courses are planned by the MoD.

I'd rather have a great time training to become a TA officer at uni and have a real chance of a deployment afterwards than get into the OTC.

4. charlie ... check your PMs.

As msr quickly pointed out, there is an OTC in Durham (and from what I've seen, a good one at that, judging at least by it's performance in the Cambrian Patrol last year).

The TA commissioning process can be quicker, depending on your motivation and availability, and of course, your successful progression.

You will find that one weekday evening a week (2 hours + bar time) takes out a small portion of your masses of free time (as a student), and it is, in fact, not difficult at all .. and anyway, they're usually desirable, not compulsory.

Again ... you'll find that one, somtimes two, weekends in a month is actually fairly light going as a student, unless you have heavy commitments e.g. to university level sport.

You will be expected to lose the large, crazy hair.

5. msr

msr LE

If they have any sense, then bods from Durham TA units will probably line up to rip your arm off ;)

msr

6. For whats its worth here is my 2 pence, if you are at Uni go for OTC, it will be far more sympathetic than TA will to the fact your student. And further more the lash is much better and generally less utter tools around and many more tottie. The small sacrifice is that you never really become a soldier and its hard to be taken seriously by Regs/TA. After a couple of years of OTC you can if you wish and are seen fit to go on to do become a 2lt with your local TA unit.
    Any questions PM me,
    The Hussar

7. Read the comments on the 'UOTC' thread. Northumbria UOTC is (well always has been) very good, but you will never have as much spare time as you have at Uni, and it is a really good time to sort out your commissioning if you want to do it. Given the new thorough yet time-consuming system, you will never get a better opportunity.

8. barbarasson, are you talking about the DETAPO scheme? from what i have heard (possibly utter rollocks) nobody appears to have seen anybody has come out of the otherside of it. Have things been changed or does it work?
    The Hussar

9. This utter pile of tripe brought to you by the same chap who doesn't know the difference between OPSEC and PERSEC and is currently endearing himself witht the HAC where he appears to be a recruit having completed his look at life weekend...

For some more sensible advice -

Look at the four options available to you more closely

OTC: Designed to fit around Uni life and very sympathetic to the fact that you are there to do a degree first, enjoy yourself second and thirdly may be interested in the Army later on. One caveat to this is that OTC mssion was changed slightly over the past year and is now more focussed on producing TA Group A officers. (Group A is TA proper as opposed to Group B which is the same commisioning process but you remain with the OTC)

TA (TASO): TA Sponsored Officer scheme, you are a member of a TA unit and are on Group A terms and conditions. You carry out your officer trg with the OTC so has the benefits of OTC with the higher bounty of TA whilst also being able to attend TA Unit trg aswell as OTC trg when it suits. The drawback is that it can take about 2 years at least to get commissioned.

TA (DETAPO): The Direct Entry TA Potential Officer route. You join a local TA unit and attend your regional training centre to receive officer trg. Similar to OTC this is split into 5 modules (1-3 at regional trg centre, 4 at Sandhurst, 5 post commisioning) This can be quick but is intensive and requires deffinite commitment to just about every other weekend during the process to get the most out of it. If you can get it sorted quick enough you could do it via the summer challenge which is run by 51 bde (and I believe other brigades now) a 7 week course over the summer to take you from civvy to module 3 qualified. obviously good if you can get on it otherwise it will take about 12 months if you get through everything first time via the long DETAPO route.

TA (Soldier): Forget the commitment and time required to become an officer, spend a couple of years as a Tom, see if you enjoy it or not, get your degree sorted then go for a commission via the summer challenge type route over your holiday after finals.

Hope that helps

Humph

10. msr

msr LE

There are people coming out of it - although not nearly enough to stem the outflow.

msr

11. msr

msr LE

Added to the FAQ! http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/TA_Student

msr

12. Cheers.

It may sound silly but the amount of hot girls wasn't a consideration when thinking i wanted to be an officer in the TA.

What i really did think about was your next point about being taken seriously. I was put of by the idea that you will not be deployed (which for me is one of the most exciting things i think you could do). I'm not looking to join the army full time after uni and think i would have a much better army experience having been through the TA system and perhaps done a tour abroad, than having been through what seems to be a progression of the army cadets.

The prospect of becoming an officer in the British army aged 21 and whilst still enjoying student life seems immense.

13. [quote="Humphrey_De_Tiluel]
    TA (DETAPO): The Direct Entry TA Potential Officer route. You join a local TA unit and attend your regional training centre to receive officer trg. Similar to OTC this is split into 5 modules (1-3 at regional trg centre, 4 at Sandhurst, 5 post commisioning) This can be quick but is intensive and requires deffinite commitment to just about every other weekend during the process to get the most out of it. If you can get it sorted quick enough you could do it via the summer challenge which is run by 51 bde (and I believe other brigades now) a 7 week course over the summer to take you from civvy to module 3 qualified. obviously good if you can get on it otherwise it will take about 12 months if you get through everything first time via the long DETAPO route.

Humph[/quote]

Wow, thankyou for telling me about that. I'm definately going to be asking about that when i see the recruitment guy.

Bearing in mind my last exam and school prom are all over by the 1sy week in July and i have until the 4th October as a holiday, i'm well up for spenig half training. That way i could start officer selection this autumn and perhaps even do the Sandhurst course next Easter. Shit i could be a 2LT within a year :D :D .

I assume the recruitment guys will know about this summer challenge.

I assume you also get paid for it? I dont want to sound greedy but how much would i earn for the 7 week course you describe.

That would be a lot more exciting than working a tesco's for a month.

Thankyou again.

14. charlie1989,
    Without meaning to rain on your parade - you sound like a good bloke with your head screwed on the right way - but have you considered the implications of being deployed during your degree?

15. I'm OTC and a few of the subbies are ex GYC and others are TA/OTC commissions. Look at becoming a TASO as it gives better pay and gets you into OTC stuff as well, and you can spend time at your own unit as well as working towards your commission. Fast Track is offered, so just ask. Nothing to be lost.
    OTC puts you with your peers so it isn't a stupid idea to consider it. You could always transfer at some point if you want to do ops, but wouldn't it be a better idea to get a degree sorted and then do some real soldiering? Some people are up for different things so just trying to give an idea of my point of view.
    If anyone thinks that the OTCs are a complete joke then they are wrong. It is work hard, play hard. I recently saw a TA artillery unit that couldn't compare to our lot if they were up against each other in a competition, and even our staff have to admit that they came with the impression that OTCs/students were a waste of space, but now see us differently. The OTC has tightened its budget so those that are there to make dicks of themselves are finding themselves invited to leave pretty promptly.