hoping to be swinging from the trees....

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by Omi1, Nov 23, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all,
    I am thinking of applying to join the RMP and i'm looking for some info. I have some basic questions i was hoping someone could help with; 1. how long is phase 2 training?
    2. how much do you get paid once you complete phase 2? (i know you get promoted to Lance Corporal, does this include pay rise?)
    3. what is the average time between promotions? (should you aim for any specific standards and/or complete any courses?)
    4. if you ever decide to leave would the civilian police forces look on you favourably if you applied to join?
    I know these are pretty mundane sort of questions but i would greatly appreciate some help. I'll try to think of some more interesting ones for next time. :wink:

thanks in advance.

3. Sort of right, except that you do your phase 1 at one of the Army Training Regiments (ATRs) usually Winchester. Pay wise, to put it into layman's figures, a lance corporal gets between £1000 and £1200 after tax etc per month depending on location. (far too much if you ask me).

Promotion to Cpl is 2 years with recommendation and successful attendance on the promotion courses. Its then another 2 years and another course to make Class 1 Cpl, and then you can think about promotion to Sergeant. Promotion to Sgt can take another couple of years or for some many many years, its all down to the individual. Courses wise there are too many to mention, but any instructional qualifications are always good, plus of course Close Protection.

4. For Sgt try an average of 10 yrs service. As for civvy bill-the experience will help, but service in RMP won't automatically get you in. What you learn and the development of some personal qualities might. My personal opinion is before joining Plod, go out and get some life experience-RMP for a few years is a fair way of doing it.

5. Thanks guys you've all been real helpful.
    It would, of course, be far too easy for this sort of info to be on the careers section of the army website. :roll:

6. Omi1, such info is not on the web-site because the RMP want people who are keen to police the British Military; not just those who are interested in Stripes and pay alone. Best readjust your thoughts if you want to 'swing from the trees', as you have so eloquently put it!!