Hopeless Novels.

No, not crap, but novels which present a scenario entirely without hope of redemption.

On The Beach is probably classic, or the British edition of Down To A Sunless Sea.

Any others?

Does that include novels set in a dystopia?

If so '1984' would be the obvious pick.

Perhaps tenious, but in 'Diceman' you always knew it would end badly.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
One of the best WW1 books I have read was Covenant With Death which was about a Pals Bin leading up to the Somme on 1 July 1916 and would fit the 'hopeless scenario'.

Got it now.

The end of Delderfield's 'Seven men of Gascony'. You grow to like them over the chapters, then napoleon decides to march on Moscow....................

Oh... Napoleon.

Nice.

BaronBoy:4742284 said:
"For Whom The Bell Tolls", by Ernest Hemingway. Another that I found depressing by the end.
Tried to read that several times but can get past the first few chapters.

Now 'eight bells toll' - good book and even better film

A lot of JP Donleavy's novels, but I always find myself strangely drawn back to 'The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B"

Thomas 'I'm a miserable bastard' Hardy. Several of his books have points at which they could be pleasingly concluded... except Hardy never misses an opportunity to eke an ounce more misery out of a plot.

Legion of the Damned by Sven H.

No stories of a penal regiment on the Ostfront are ever going to be cheerful but at least in the others there's usually something you can hope for - that they get home from Stalingrad or find the Commissar's gold or whatever. Legion's just a list of which of his mates died mixed in with how shit life was.

It's a while since I read it but doesn't one chapter simply read 'we buried Pluto one day. We couldn't find his head'?

Great book but not the most uplifting of reads...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Germinal - Emile Zola

Roads to Freedom Trilogy - Sartre

Rodney2q

Having forced myself to read it twice I found Walter Michael Miller, Jr's 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' deeply depressing,just imagine Roman Catholics as the main survivors of a Nuclear War.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Any of the Fielding novels. No, not Henry Fielding but the other one that writes the Bridget Jones stuff. Such despair, angst and agony. Not in the books but in my breast, my heart and soul at the mindless rubbish.

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. Not something I would have bought but it was pressed into my hand on World Book Night a couple of years ago by a rather attractive young lady. It turned out to be both a well written and mind-bendingly depressing story that ends badly for all of the main characters (and many of the minor ones).

Her Privates We by Private 19022 (Frederick Manning 1882-1935). A slightly depressing and introspective account of life in and out of the trenches in WWI that ends with the narrator being killed and his body being carried back by one of his comrades.

Thomas 'I'm a miserable bastard' Hardy. Several of his books have points at which they could be pleasingly concluded... except Hardy never misses an opportunity to eke an ounce more misery out of a plot.
Aye, its hard to beat Jude the Obscure for a howling plunge into the inky black pit of anguish where even Beelzebub doesn't like to linger. Hide the razor blades and keep the 'uppers' handy.