Hopeless Novels.

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Biscuits_Brown, Nov 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No, not crap, but novels which present a scenario entirely without hope of redemption.

On The Beach is probably classic, or the British edition of Down To A Sunless Sea.

Any others?
  2. Does that include novels set in a dystopia?

If so '1984' would be the obvious pick.

Perhaps tenious, but in 'Diceman' you always knew it would end badly.
  3. A Farewell to Arms depressed me no end.

4. Brilliant book. As is 1984 of course.

Need something devilishly depressing to feel good about not being a part of.
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

One of the best WW1 books I have read was Covenant With Death which was about a Pals Bin leading up to the Somme on 1 July 1916 and would fit the 'hopeless scenario'.
  6. Got it now.

The end of Delderfield's 'Seven men of Gascony'. You grow to like them over the chapters, then napoleon decides to march on Moscow....................
  7. Oh... Napoleon.

8. "For Whom The Bell Tolls", by Ernest Hemingway. Another that I found depressing by the end.
  9. Tried to read that several times but can get past the first few chapters.

Now 'eight bells toll' - good book and even better film
  10. The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

One of the most depressing yet intriguing books I've ever read
  11. The Bible.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. A lot of JP Donleavy's novels, but I always find myself strangely drawn back to 'The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B"
  13. Thomas 'I'm a miserable bastard' Hardy. Several of his books have points at which they could be pleasingly concluded... except Hardy never misses an opportunity to eke an ounce more misery out of a plot.
  14. Legion of the Damned by Sven H.

No stories of a penal regiment on the Ostfront are ever going to be cheerful but at least in the others there's usually something you can hope for - that they get home from Stalingrad or find the Commissar's gold or whatever. Legion's just a list of which of his mates died mixed in with how shit life was.

It's a while since I read it but doesn't one chapter simply read 'we buried Pluto one day. We couldn't find his head'?

Great book but not the most uplifting of reads...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Germinal - Emile Zola

Roads to Freedom Trilogy - Sartre