Hope for the next generation

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, May 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For our non-US cousins, this is from a US Marine base and the music is the traditional music played at Evening Colors when the national flag is retired for the evening. It is the regulation that all serving Marines and Sailors (not civilians) will stand at attention and face the music and render a salute as the flag is raised or lowered.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Now that's what I call discipline. Good stuff :)

Sent from my brick using poo stained fingers

3. The same tune rings out here on our base in the UK each and every day at 4pm, followed by UK and US national anthems.

Our PA system plays it at a much faster tempo though!

And we have the US "Reveille" for raising the flags each morning.

The same courtesy is shown by all nations working here, icluding our NATO allies.

4. Unfortunately and regrettably in the UK this would be against human rights and would be seen as racist, jingoist, outdated and the anachronistically comic panoply of a bygone age.

I am reminded of why I no longer live there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Err... We still do it where I work, on the edge of the Fens... :)

6. Good! Let me know when I am allowed to fly the Union Flag from my house without being branded a racist.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Very nice. The kid in the white trainers gets under starters orders before the music is finished and nicks the swing off the girl in the orange t-shirt

8. I did post a reply, but not sure what happened to it, may have still be waiting in moderator purgatory due to it being my first ever post or something. The gyst of it was that seeing this reminded me of something I read in my local newspaper recently, and I thought I'd share the link to show that Britishness and patriotism is still popular over here these days...

Stanhope Royal themed tea shop throws out anti-anthem customers - Chronicle News - News - ChronicleLive

Mods, please feel free to wrap my knuckles if I have in fact posted this twice.

9. An aspiring legionnaire for the ARRSE Foreign Legion.