Hooped bivy (one man tent)

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by thecoops, Jan 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I used mine through Nov/early Dec in Afghan.While not at it's coldest I found it did a great job.Kept you warm and packed up reasonably small. Great if your out in the hills in the UK aswell.Thoroughly reccomend.

2. My Bold

I have used a one for a number of years hillwalking mainly in The Cheviots ... certainly lighter than a traditional one man tent and better than a simple basha ... mine seems quite waterproof ... but I suppose as with all things you get what you pay for .

3. I seem to think I paid about £200 for my goretex one in 1990

4. And yes very good I've been out in some god awful weather in mine. Still in good order after all these years.

5. £200 I haven't got that much to burn other wise I would get one of theses Untitled Document on the subject of water proofing I will probably use a bivi bag as well

6. What I'm saying is it seems a good price. Maybe a second hand one could be found?

7. 7-9 kg thats a but heavy for me. nice thought

8. would i be correct in syaing you would still be in a doss bag aswell as one of these?... maybe a stupid question

9. Yes you would need a doss bag.

10. A swag is great of you have a car or a horse. On foot a bivvi or tarp is the way ahead. I doubt my whole daysack weighs much more than 8kg when packed for an overnight in the hills.
    A hooped bivvi is a good investment for lightweight camping. Just remember to pitch it with your feet into wind to give you some shelter at the business end.

11. Give Endicotts a bell, they generally have something useful knocking around and don't rip off squaddies.

Endicotts Army Surplus

12. Issue bivi bag works for me :)

13. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

Look in the Kit reviews section for the one I did on Terra Novas hooped bivvy. You never really need to bother with the poles unless you want to chill out and read a book or do some minor admin. Worth every penny, Afghan proven.