Hoop Problems

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by k13eod, Feb 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Couldn't find this anywhere with a search so apologies if it's been 'done'. Certainly light relief from earthquakes and overthrowing regimes in North Africa:

Teenage girl gets stuck in basketball hoop trying to slam dunk herself - Scotsman.com News

A TEENAGE girl had to be freed by firefighters after becoming stuck in a basketball hoop when she attempted to "slam dunk herself through it".

The 14-year-old tried to pass herself through the hoop thinking "it would be a challenge", but was trapped when her clothes became stuck on the ring.

Firefighters attended the bizarre incident at Wallyford Community Centre in East Lothian last night at around 7.45pm and found the girl dangling several metres off the ground. The alarm was raised by a friend who phoned 999.

She was stuck for around 15 minutes and a small crowd had gathered at the scene.

One appliance with five firefighters used a ladder to reach the girl, who was suspended in the air and trapped at the waist.

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue said: "The 14-year-old girl decided it would be a challenge to slam dunk herself into the basketball net. She got half way through but got stuck when her clothes bunched up, preventing her from passing through.

"The girl was stuck in the net for around 15 or 16 minutes.

"The fire crew arrived at Wallyford Community Centre on Albert Place and used a short ladder to reach her, adjusting the bunch in her clothing, allowing her to go through the hoop. Several of her friends were at the scene and I would imagine a small crowd had gathered by this point. There were no injuries apart from some slightly damaged pride."

Now, given that a standard basketball hoop is 18" in diameter and 10' of the ground this leads me to ask if anyone has a picture of said girl? Is she a giant chubster who simply stepped into the hoop or does she so resemble a ball that her fellow students bounced her in?

Additionally it would be interesting to find out if any ARRSERS have had similar problems.

Have you ever discovered/found/left a child embarrassingly stuck in somewhere inconvenient?

Have you ever found yourself stuck in a hoop? Or other tight orifice?

As an aside I also understand that she wasn't alone in being “hooped” in Scotland this week! :)

2. About six months ago I was suffering from threadworms

3. To be fair, there aren't many porridge wogs who could get UP to the hoop let alone squeeze their deep fried haggis filled bodies through the thing...even half way!!

4. I was hoping for advice on my polyps.

5. Allow them to develop into a coral reef and ensure that you protect it. All reefs are currently under threat from global warming (or some such nonsense) and yours could be worth a lot of money in the future with visiting divers paying large sums of cash just to see your hoop.

6. Would a Great Brown Starfish be an added attraction?

7. So long as it was wearing a sheriffs badge!

8. I remember a guy at my college trying this on the court. He'd climbed the pole and passed his lower half through the hoop. He was holding onto the hoop to support his weight, which promptly snapped off and he fell to the ground, landing on his feet and breaking both ankles. =-D