Hoon to outline deployment

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Sep 8, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3088880.stm

Hoon to outline Iraq deployment

Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon is expected to announce on Monday that up to 3,000 extra British troops will be sent to Iraq in the coming weeks.
    The reinforcements are likely to come from at least two units based in Cyprus and Germany.

There are already more than 10,000 British soldiers in Iraq but the extra numbers are needed because the security situation in the south of the country has worsened.

Over the weekend, 120 troops from the second battalion light infantry flew to Basra out of RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus.

It is likely more troops from the same unit will be dispatched soon.

Mr Hoon may also list other units likely to contribute troops on Monday.

Stand by, stand by
  2. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Rest of 2LI and 1RGJ immediately, plus "military support to critical infrastucture projects" in the near future - further down it says Units and HQ will be put on reduced notice "immediately". Any thoughts on who this might be??
  3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Some of the Cadet Trg Teams must be quaking in their daps!
  4. Can't get access to the MOD website at the moment

Has anyone else got the same problem?
  5. msr

msr LE

6. I was afraid you'd say that

7. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

OK here PTP (civvy location) - you trying from an MOD location?? Don't want to start the old conspiracy theory thingy going.......

Nothing extra on the site except the stament from Hoon the loon - full text posted in another thread below at the same time I posted my link. Clearly more announcements about "support elements" to follow.

Not to go on about it but why are the "support elements" always an afterthought and never mentioned by capbadge!
  8. No, Civvy location, and not able to access either Army or MOD.UK

Mind you, no problem getting on the Crab or Navy MOD sites

Spooky no?

Mind you, it won't be so damn spooky if I find my access has been barred to the aforementioned sites by tomorrow as well :evil: