Hoon to be quizzed over Sgt Roberts

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Proximo, Dec 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hunting for a link.

This news got a resounding cheer at this location.

I look forward to watching the oily git squirm.

2. Was Sgt Roberts the guy killed in the no body armour row?

3. Yep - here it is from Sky News.

Meiktila - for my money, having been very close to this incident on the day (no further comment), is that I really want Mrs Roberts to be able to go home after this and actually draw a line beneath it - some day.

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Does the summons mean that TCH refused to attend voluntarily, or is it just the usual procedure?

5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

It was in yesterday's Daily Express.Sgt Roberts was killed in a blue on blue when when his convoy was attacked.His pistol had jammed & so another Trooper engaged the attacker with his tanks GPMG.The sights on the gimpy had been set to pin point & fired ater being ordered to by his Lcpl.He fired 2 bursts at the Iraqi who dropped.He then heard over the RT that Sgt Roberts was down.
    Because of the shortage of Body Armour,Sgt Roberts was using a training jacket with the plates held on with black nasty.
    That't a shortened version of the express article as the arent any links.
    Spike

6. I look forward to watching the oily git squirm.

And I'll bet he walks away unscathed too [The useless shíte]

7. I believe it's procedural, where the person has not been named to give evidence prior to the inquest opening. Although, given the period of time, and the exposure of Steve's inquest, it is a little surprising.

And before Hoon lies his little arrse off at this soldier's inquest, he might like to consider that there are hundreds of people, who not only know the truth of his "minor shortages", but will be only too happy to correct any misrepresentations that he should make to the inquest.

8. I do hope he gets grilled but I fear that it will come to nothing.... which is a shame because he and others at the MOD deserve to be truely exposed as incompetent cnuts.

9. Spike, 'scuse my ignorance, but this is a new one on me. Sgt Roberts' situation is often described as having to give up his Enhanced CBA, the implication being that this left him with so to speak "Normal CBA".

Any idea from what vintage was this "training jacket"? Presumably a type which had been in operational use pre-mid 90s at the latest, but did not have pockets for the ceramic plates?

10. Absolutey Promimo I couldnt agree more I just wasnt sure thats all!

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Rather demonstrates the complete lack of faith in there being any accountability by ministers for their decisions...

12. Steady on there- surely not incompetant. Self serving and corrupt, but not incompetant.

13. Fair point, and as much as I would like to see him held to account for a number of his decisions and statements, I sincerely hope that Steve's inquest is not going to be used for political points scoring. My prediction would be along the lines of, following the inquest, there will be even more calls made for a full public enquiry into the planning for the op. We shall see.

14. Have ministers ever been accountable to the public? No not really yes Tony may have sacked a few or demoted them but when was the last time a minister did the honerable thing and resigned after a blunder was it the Falklands? (May be a more recent example but can't think of any)