Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by error_unknown, Sep 9, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking at the list of 'Operational Awards' today (and well done to those that got them!) made me wonder whether we should still be giving out all kinds of 'non-operational' awards. Bravery is one thing - and obviously Forces personnel will continue to do brave things in a non-operational context - but should people still get gongs for doing a spiffing job? After all, career advancement should cover that. Thoughts?
  2. I think they should get honours where they have done something notable for the society around them. For instance a high degree of fund-raising, or helping others, etc. This matches the awards that might be given to civilians for similar work. But honours for Sir Fred Bloggs having worked for 20 years - no way.
  3. I agree with the above post. In my opinion, worthless as it probably is, people should not get honours for 'services to the music/transport/etc industry' when all they have been doing is their job. They get well paid for doing these jobs and why should the MD of a company get an honour when the joe-bloggs of the same company have been doing their jobs just as well and probably for longer?

The people who should get awarded anything are the ones who do something out of the ordinary, e.g. scoutmaster for 25 years, fundraising for 15 years, etc.

It seems nowadays all you need to be is well known or famous to qualify for an award (or a rugby/football player). Devalues it I think!! :roll:
  4. what about the likes op Fresco ?
  5. this matter fires me up no end.... my father worked his spuds off,did a damn good job in a risky role and got a well deserved MBE (military division) but you get half of these "famous" cnuts getting them for doing next to bugger all.

The civvie standards for gongs should be raised to counteract this ongoing trend in slippy standards. Where the hell is the Great in Great Britain these days.
  6. That would Operation Fresco...
  7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I see that Household Cav Lt Col who was convicted of death by dangerous driving has got the OBE for service in Bosnia. He got out of his four years conviction saying he was being posted to Afghanistan on an important tour. He didnt go in the end. So he didn't go to prison for killing three people.