Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honours?

Lewis along with others in the article are an example(to me)that the criteria for receiving an "award" seems to have lost it's way. Here's a bloke born with a talent that has over the years, at the cost of millions, been nurtured and brought to the fore with the help of numerous other people. Doesn't seem right that he should now be a Sir when so many others performing selfless tasks are overlooked. Forgot to add at the same time he(Lewis)is earning mega £'s.

Lewis along with others in the article are an example(to me)that the criteria for receiving an "award" seems to have lost it's way. Here's a bloke born with a talent that has over the years, at the cost of millions, been nurtured and brought to the fore with the help of numerous other people. Doesn't seem right that he should now be a Sir when so many others performing selfless tasks are overlooked. Forgot to add at the same time he(Lewis)is earning mega £'s.

My BiL, before retirement, was a senior partner with a top 4 city firm. As they had large offices in the city they had certain rights and privileges with regard to appointment of the Lord Mayor and various other city appointments. He used to get invited along to all the boys club dinners and events where white tie and black tie were required and still knows all the right people, even in retirement. I once asked him if he would get a knighthood for being in the top job and for working with/knowing the right people (the previous Duke of Westminster was a mate/client of his). He told me he was not interested in an honour he could effectively buy with money (charitable donations), or by buying drinks for, or schmoozing the right people.

Not everyone approached with the invitation asks for them to proceed with it, for some it draws too much attention to them, others are just not interested. Though with some official appointments it comes with the job.

Tongnye

Clanker
Attention Lcpl Lew Rex RE was awarded OBE or MBE,newyears eve 1965 at the Cpls mess gillman bcks Singapore,awarded for his efforts keeping the Howard Train and Barbour Green running on OP Crown, there were only 3 of us celebrating, Big Taff ,Lew and myself, lest we forget

People have been ticking about the Honours system from the Year Dot. In days of yore it usually resulted in the loss of a functioning head at some point thereafter, nowadays most people just go Meh.

There was huge outcry when the Beatles were honoured, all sorts threatening to send their honours back. Same thing with the belmer here a while back threatening to send his GSM (NI) back or some such.

This year there will be dozens of people honoured who many would view as cocks. Getting exercised about it won’t change that and in many cases I reckon the recipients would get off on the outrage; you can see Hamilton saying “the outrage is proof of racism, people think black men shouldn’t get awards”. Why feed the troll?

The sadness is that such bitching is devaluing the honours system for the hundreds of dinner ladies etc. that have quietly got on with doing good things for decades. IMHO it’s not the honours system that’s devaluing itself with some of these absurd awards, it’s the people on both sides of the argument who fan the flames of that argument.

Lewis Hamilton. Talented driver.. Yes. Sanctimonious prick. Yes. Deserving of a knighthood. IMHO No.

Captain Sir Tom Moore.
A Gentleman. Yes.
Humble. Yes.
Deserving of a Knighthood. Most definitely Yes.

The hundreds of others who do their jobs or charity efforts with no complaints. Helping other people who need help with no thought for themselves.
These are the people that need to be on the honours list, not people like Lewis Hamilton.

(unless of course Betty has shares in Mercedes and LH is earning her loadsamoney)

Not a British award, but Obama being given a Nobel Peace prize is along the same lines.
It's a political award, and something for the media and historians to dance all over.
Totally meaningless.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Not a British award, but Obama being given a Nobel Peace prize is along the same lines.
It's a political award, and something for the media and historians to dance all over.
Totally meaningless.
Before he became president wasn't it ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
He was elected in 2008 and was awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace prize.
Biden was elected in 2020 but first becomes president in 2021.

Did Obama really do much in 2009 for the award ?
I thought Tsvangirai had endured and accomplished far more.

Last edited:

FEASG

LE

Does not change the fact that he had done anything meaningful to warrant the award. Of all the Nobel awards, it is the one to Peace that makes a mockery of the whole institution, just look at some of the self-serving war mongers they have given it to.

In the case of the British system, I think it is the desire of the PM to seem down with public opinion and try to buy problems off.

October, 2009, so he had been in office for nine months.
He ran for office saying he would reduce Americas military adventures, but by the time he left US troops were active in more countries than when he became president, and he also authorised the bombing of a friendly nation, Pakistan, resulting in many civiilan casualties.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
October, 2009, so he had been in office for eight months.
He ran for office saying he would reduce Americas military adventures, but by the time he left US troops were active in more countries than when he became president, and he also authorised the bombing of a friendly nation, Pakistan, resulting in many civiilan casualties.
That chimes with FEASG's #012, although I'm unconvinced that Obama is/was an evil warmonger in himself, more that he's just a simple puppet of the hawks.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Everyone kicking off about the honours system and saying it needs a shakeup is blatantly ignoring the fact that it’s better now that it’s even been.

Up until the 60s honours were just something the Royal Family dished out to their mates.

Until fairly recently they were a way for political parties to reward their donors.

There are more opportunities now for normal people to get honours than ever before.

And regardless of whether people think Lewis Hamilton is a bell end or not, you can’t deny the simple fact that on paper he’s the best racing driver this country has ever produced and has inspired millions of British kids from working class backgrounds.

He’s much more deserving of one than Phillip Green and half the political donors who get them just for chucking money around.

And that’s before we even start on the people who get a title just because they were born into the right family.

Stirling Moss never even won a championship and he was knighted. Lewis has won 7.

Who_Dat

Clanker
Time magazine anointed Joe Biden and Kamala Harris joint person of the year 2020.

They must be delighted to be up there with the other great Time recipients...
Adolf Hitler 1938
Josef Stalin 1939 and 1942
Ayatollah Khomeini 1979

Chimp

ADC
OK so what are YOU going to do about. Whinge on line to people you think will support your views. How about a bit of research first, write to your MP, set up a political party for change, protest etc. But no you will whinge because you don’t like the fact is better than Sir Jackie Stewart and has the same award (oh and is also a tax exile like him).

Time magazine anointed Joe Biden and Kamala Harris joint person of the year 2020.

They must be delighted to be up there with the other great Time recipients...
Adolf Hitler 1938
Josef Stalin 1939 and 1942
Ayatollah Khomeini 1979
I think Adolph, Stalin and Khomeini would probably be more annoyed at being lumped in with that pair.

That chimes with FEASG's #012, although I'm unconvinced that Obama is/was an evil warmonger in himself, more that he's just a simple puppet of the hawks.
It makes a mockery of the Nobel Peace prize, and if Obama had any integrity, he would have refused it.

OK so what are YOU going to do about. Whinge on line to people you think will support your views. How about a bit of research first, write to your MP, set up a political party for change, protest etc. But no you will whinge because you don’t like the fact is better than Sir Jackie Stewart and has the same award (oh and is also a tax exile like him).
I enjoy a good whinge and by the way while we are at it, who rattled your fukken cage?

Latest Threads