Honours System Debased!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by lsquared, Dec 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Honours System, issued in the name of our Sovereign, but compiled by politicians and civil servants, is debased and made to be risible.

Why?

The grasping, ugly, sneering, champagne-swilling, multi-millionaire and hugely disliked Cherie Blair is made a CBE! Does Cameron think this travesty will earn him a few votes?

• Like Like x 1
  2. She's almost as dull and objectionable as you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I see some irony in the letters C B E.

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Call out the duty driver, Isquared needs the Outrage Bus. Duty Mechanic to have it first paraded by 0905. Duty Officer to be avail to sign the Work Ticket.

Remainder, stand down.

• Like Like x 3
  5. 0905! I know we're on Chrimble standdown, but why should the Duty Clutch get a lie in?

6. I reckon the bus is only for serious outrages, he should tab it with the outrage flag, he probably needs the exercise.

• Like Like x 3
  7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have some sympathy with the OP's point. Giving a gong to la Blair does stick in the craw but I don't think it taints the vast majority of richly deserved awards. I also think that the rabid attack on the PM is wide of the mark.

My understanding of the system is that it's all vetted by committees and that the PM does not have a hands on say.the Blair creature will have been nominated by the usual ragbag of champagne swilling guardianistas. For the PM to have blocked it would be seen as unacceptable political meddling.

The idea that this could be seen as a vote winner for the Tory Party is frankly risible. Nobody who will be pleased about this will ever vote Tory.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 5
  8. I don't really see why the sportsmen and women receive awards, nothing personal but I'm sure people would be up in arms If the starting 11 for Chelsea had all got a nod the year before yet I see little difference between them and our medalists.

• Like Like x 5
  9. I also don't see why 99% of honours for the military should go to officers and warrant officers.

• Like Like x 5
  10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Who writes up the recommendations? Who knows that, without a CBE/OBE, that Roger/Rupert/Felicity's career spiral will be limited? Backscratching abounds - I've seen the 'system' at work on many occassions, and it's not a pretty sight!

• Like Like x 4
  11. Because its not a Lcpl that has the authority to turn the heating off in winter to save the MOD a few pounds and "earn" himself that MBE , OBE or whatever.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Because Chelski are paid professionals and have lucrative sponsorship deals, unlike say... tennis pro Andy Murray (OBE) with his £100m's worth of lucrative sponsorship deals - and who has yet to actually win Wimbledon.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Jealousy is such an ugly trait ^~