Honours for Black Watch soldiers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4582981.stm

Honours for Black Watch soldiers
Private Jonetani Matia Lawaci, Pte Damien Currie, Corporal Peter "Pedro" Laing,
Private Lawaci, Pte Currie, Corporal Laing received awards
Black Watch soldiers have been to Buckingham Palace to receive awards for bravery while serving in Iraq.

Corporal Peter Laing and Private Damian Currie, from Fife, and Private Jonetani Matia Lawaci, from Fiji, received the Queen's Gallantry Medal.

The award, which recognises exemplary acts of bravery, was given to the men by Prince Charles.

The regiment's commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel James Cowan, collected his OBE for services in Iraq.

The Wiltshire-based regiment served in Basra from June to November before a mission to Camp Dogwood, near Baghdad.

'Quick thinking'

This was a month-long attachment under the command of the US Marines.

Pte Lawaci, 29, dived into a river and rescued three soldiers who almost drowned when their Warrior transporter plunged into a muddy canal on 29 October, on the way up from Basra to Dogwood.

He hauled three colleagues to safety. Pte Kevin McHale, the driver, died in the incident.

Pte Lawaci was praised for demonstrating "the highest form of courage and quick thinking".

Speaking about the rescue, he said: "What went through my head was, 'That's my mate in there'."

Suicide bomb

Cpl "Pedro" Laing, 31, tended to wounded fellow soldiers on 4 November following a suicide bomb attack.

His section was targeted by a suicide bomber who drove into a roadside vehicle checkpoint.

He dragged each of his wounded colleagues to safety and gave them first aid despite having serious injuries to his own head and eye.

Pte Damian Currie being decorated by Prince Charles
I'm a trained medic so I knew I had to go out and help
Pte Damian Currie

With seven years in the Black Watch, he already has a Military Cross, received for his actions following another suicide bomb attack.

Pte Currie, 20, was the first on the scene to help injured colleagues following a suicide bomb attack in North Babil.

Despite being under mortar fire, the young soldier calmly stuck to his task without thought for his own safety.

He said: "I've looked back on it many times and wondered what might have happened.

"I didn't really think about it then. I was thinking more about the people who were injured.

"I'm a trained medic so I knew I had to go out and help."

Lt Col Cowan, 41, from Edinburgh, said he was "very proud" of his soldiers.

"I would also like to remember all those who were killed," he said.

Quoted from another recent forum topic.

Rooper said:
If the BW are that good how come they have got one of the lowest pass rates on career courses such as Snr & Jnr Brecon? And before you give the excuse of Telic, I'm talking about prior to the deployment on this.

They are about on a par with the RS although the Fijians are bringing up their results!
I hope you are reading this rooper.

Well done the BW. RIP Kevin McHale.

I was at Camp Dogwood with the Blackwatch . My unit punched well above its weight for 120 blokes . I am not taking anything away from the Black watch , but they got all the press , we all feel a lot of this was due to the change in the structure of the army etc . Nothing pisses a soldier off more than another unit getting all the '' glory'' .The guys who got the awards rightly deserved them but in that battle group there were a lot of guys who were not Black Watch . We all ran the gauntlet crossing that berm out of Dogwood yet it seems that it was only the Black Watch who deserve any credit . No it is not sour grapes , credit where credit is due . I am sure the boys in the Black Watch know what i am on about . Rest in peace those boys who did not come back .

Pte Currie already has an MC....

Outstanding, young man.

recce-cpl said:
I was at Camp Dogwood with the Blackwatch . My unit punched well above its weight for 120 blokes . I am not taking anything away from the Black watch , but they got all the press , we all feel a lot of this was due to the change in the structure of the army etc . Nothing pisses a soldier off more than another unit getting all the '' glory'' .The guys who got the awards rightly deserved them but in that battle group there were a lot of guys who were not Black Watch . We all ran the gauntlet crossing that berm out of Dogwood yet it seems that it was only the Black Watch who deserve any credit . No it is not sour grapes , credit where credit is due . I am sure the boys in the Black Watch know what i am on about . Rest in peace those boys who did not come back .

Just recieved the latest issue of BW regimental mag,this covers the deployment to Dogwood,and all the incidents and Ops during the deployment.Unbelievable and inspiring stuff. You attached lads get a lot of the credit in various articles in the mag for the success of Op Bracken from BW personnel. It is acknowledged that 1BW needed the support form all attached units,and were grateful of this support.

Its a real pity that more people cannot see this magazine,especially TCH,INGRAM, BLIAR, PoD etc .

Cheers!

Fair dos to the BLACK WATCH . They did look after us other units , i have just re-read my first post and i do sound a bit of a knob. Great that we got credit in there regimental journal . Cheers for your comment Jonesy !

Big congrats to the BlackWatch , and a extra big congrats to the guys who got gallentry awards