Honours and Awards

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Jerry_Morsetapper, Jan 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I appreciate that the sort of quantity of hot air already expended on this subject could seriously endanger the continued existence of the polar ice cap, HOWEVER I came across the following stats whilst cruising the www and thought they may be of interest :

"the breakdown of distribution of honours by sector in the period
    1998-2000, was one honour per 3,125 of home civil servants, one honour per 123 for diplomats and one per 1,090 for armed forces.

In contrast, teachers received 1 per 15,500 and nurses 1 per 20,000 in the six lists from the New Year in 1998 to the Birthday Honours in 2000".

Fairly self explanatory and although a little bit dated I have seen some corroboratory stuff on ARRSE, regarding Iraq and the frequency of diplomats getting honours, compared with the military.

2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Not surprising. As anyone who has had to deal with the Foreign Office knows, they are all very, very, very important people. :D

3. The F&CO's Gong, in ascending rank

Call Me God
    Kindly Call Me God
    God Calls Me God

4. FCO... load of cretains who can not do their job

5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Nice to the Director of the CPS has got his knighthood, well deserved!

WAH!

6. Since Prince Naseem lost his MBE, Should the English Cricket Team also lose their awards?

7. Why not? They lost everything else.

8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Wheres that email addres for my MP?

9. One can say many bad things about the Foreign Office, but one can never accuse them of Patriotism.

10. I had a chat with the Brit ambassadors to Vienna and Budapest a few years ago and raised the subject about how they are all Knights of various orders.

Their response was fairly droll, in that they stated that they don't really care much for their titles, but the countries to where they are posted care a great deal as they perceive that their prestige with the UK is directly reflected in the seniority of the ambassador sent to their country.

Thus if an ambassador is a 'Sir' and is replaced by a 'Mr', it doesn't matter that the 'Mr' may well be better than the 'Sir', the host nation will still see it as a slight upon their nation.

11. What was said about them on 'Yes Minister'? Something about the FCO loves foreigners while the public hate them. Years ago they used to be a bunch of posh lefties with the odd traitor thrown in, now they are a bunch of shell-suit wearing wide boys, ruled by PC dictat and a level of corruption that is breathtaking.

Progress eh?

12. Yeah, I'll bet they didn't care for their titles!

Shouldn't it be called the Common and Foreignwealth Office?

13. It also might have something to do with the fact that these awards 'come with the rations', as long as they don't fcuk up or upset anybody....its their version of the LSGC