Honoured at last: The Many of the Battle of Britain

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Sep 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/09

Fantastic.

In my life, I am honoured to have been piloted by one of them as a young space cadet. We owe them a debt of gratitude , this monument goes some way to addressing that. I am only sorry that some personalities weren't there to see their efforts recognised.

2. Quote"paid for by public subscription" says it all. Had England been defended by disabled lesbian single mothers the govt would have chipped in. Full marks to the ordinary Brits who have not forgotten.

3. Fantastic, I agree - these brave people need to be saluted and remembered. But just can't fathom out why a monument actually cost £1.65 million??? Or am I having a blonde moment and mis-reading??!!

4. That'll be a 'bottle blonde' moment then?

5. Many thanks to all the 'Foreign' Govt's who added to the fund also.
    At least they don't want to forget the debt , unlike BLIAR and his cronies

6. that thing who's got her statue on the plinth a trafalgar square had the bare faced cheek to say "at least i haven't got my statue put up for slaying people" :evil:

well love , if these men hadn't been in the air "slaying" and being slayed in their hundreds then you wouldn't have got your statue up at all... as Adolf had a nasty habit of topping all his spackers.

7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

We were of course defended by disabled men - Nelson, Bader, Capt Sam Browne, etc. They seemed to do OK :)

8. Thought there was a monument to the Battle of Britain veterans opened by the Queen Mother in 1993 largely funded through their own efforts I believe...see pic
    [​IMG]

9. Sad that Aircrew got the glory, there were some very brave crabs on the ground.

My uncle Charlie, long deceased, was a RAF Firefighter at the time. He went into burning aircraft to get trapped crews out, managed to get himself toasted a couple of times in the process. All long before anyone gave much thought to PTSD, when he came out he had awful nightmares/flashbacks about people screaming as they were burnt to death. He saw this pretty well daily. Took to the drink eventually and drank himself into an early grave. Sad.

10. GwaiLo, half the point of this new statue was to honour the wingless Crabs. Go read up on the unveiling ceremony. Lots of praise to the folk who got no glory.

Quote BBC:

URL: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4258130.stm

11. I walked past it today and it really is a superb memorial, and about time!!

In regards to it coming in at a nice £1.65 million, well the contractors seemed to be fcuking about for what seemed like almost a year completing it, so maybe it wasn't price work so to speak!