Honour the living as well as the dead

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Trackpen, Nov 12, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A very good leader by Simon Heffer in this morning's on-line Telegraph. Apologies for posting the whole piece, but I still haven't got the hang of posting links properly.

Daily Telegraph
    12 November 2005
    Simon Heffer on Saturday
    By Simon Heffer

Honour the living as well as the dead
    Tomorrow could be a Remembrance Day of special significance. The number of Tommies left from the War to end all Wars is now in single figures. By next year they may all be gone. So something we have taken for granted all our lives - being able to ask the men of Kitchener's Army for their memories of that hideous slaughter and epic sacrifice - may be impossible. Once the First World War is consigned to second-hand memory, recorded pictures and the history books, we shall enter a whole new phase of our history.
    We shall, also, of course, run an ever greater danger of forgetting what our servicemen and women have done for us in circumstances beyond our imagination. Ever since reading in my own father's war diaries how, as a boy of 18 on the second day of the Somme, he marched with his comrades past "rows and rows of unburied dead, with teams of padres reading the burial service over them", I have fought a losing battle with comprehension. So, too, have millions of us.
    Yet for all our shows of remembrance - and they have become more pronounced as the last old soldiers fade away, with more observance of the two minutes' silence on Armistice Day itself - we are clearly treating our fighting men and their families with greater complacency. It is not just, as I mentioned here last Saturday, the way we have sent a new generation of soldiers into Iraq with inadequate kit, inadequate back-up and inadequate political support in the thankless job they are doing. It is also that, once they have served their country, we have a disregard for their welfare breathtaking in its callousness, and which even the heroic efforts of the Royal British Legion cannot possibly rectify.
    Yesterday, we reported that more than four million ex-servicemen and women and their dependants were living on less than £200 a week. Nearly four and a half million suffered long-term illness, disability or infirmity. About half a million who are in dire straits received no help from anyone. So at this time when we recall the Glorious Dead, we had (if we are a truly compassionate society) better spare a thought for the glorious living, too.
    What is so offensive about this statistic is that billions of pounds are spent in our welfare budget on infinitely less deserving cases: those who resolutely choose not to work, those who desert their families, those who make a claim on this country without any intention of contributing to it, those who regard having a family at the state's expense as a career option. And politicians, in their gruesome attempts to curry favour with fashionable client groups, expend their compassion on all sorts of causes, except on those who deserve it most.
    We cannot afford to keep our heroes on more than £200 a week, but we can offer salaries in the public sector of three or four times that, quite routinely, to people unemployable in any other walk of life, and who are engaging in activities that are entirely economically and socially unproductive. It is presumably only because we are so used to this act of contempt that we do not become more exercised about it. Frankly, it is time to get bloody angry.
    Like many other civilised countries, we should have a Minister for Veterans, whose job it is to ensure that these people and their families are properly cared for. Until someone in government has the job of fighting for funding for this excellent cause, there won't be any, and instead ministers will exploit the good work of the RBL.
    And we should scrap Remembrance Day and move the ceremony to November 11 itself, as always used to be the case. Perhaps by making us down tools, and stopping all the traffic, the full magnitude of what we owe to an almost vanished generation might begin to be brought home to us.
  2. You beat me to it!!!
  3. We do have a Minister for Veterans, Dan Touhig MP. Dan Touhig MP

4. He took over from my local MP, Ivor Caplin (only marginally better than the Blair Babe that got the seat after him), who seemed to spend most of his time jetting off visiting war cemeteries in such terrible places as Singapore or Dublin. Although what he actually did for veterans no one can actually work out.

I don't know about anyone else, but it turns my stomach to hear politicians who have done their best to do the forces down talk about 'Our wonderful and professional armed forces'. For that matter, why does Gordon Brown wear a poppy? - he is known to loathe the forces and has done more damage to them than anyone.
  5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Touhig took over from Caplin and is just as useful i.e. not at all. And he's welsh.

We can see from the organisations he is involved with that he has a real interest in defence and veteran's affairs:

· President of the National Old Age Pensioners Association of Wales

· President of the Caerphilly County Borough Access Group

· President of the Islwyn Drug and Alcohol Project

· President of the Bedwellty Area Old Age Pensioners

· President of Home-Start (Caerphilly Borough East)

· President of Trinant Sports Association

· President of Blackwood Amateur Operatic Society

· President of Caerphilly CAB

· Patron of Risca Male Voice Choir

· Patron of Everyones Child Romania

· President of Newbridge and District Ladies Choir

· President of Cancercareline

· President of Newbridge (Celynen) Brass Band

· Vice President of Mynyddislwyn Male Choir

· Vice President of Crumlin Cricket Club

· Vice President of Abercarn Cricket Club

· Vice President of Islwyn-Pisek Twinning Association

· Honorary Member of the Blackwood Rotary Club

· Honorary Member of Newbridge and Abercarn Rotary Club

Touhig is a member of Amnesty International, and is also a Papal Knight of the Order of St. Sylvester.

The Order of St Sylvester is interesting:
    So, just a meaningless badge for Catholic walts. Still, I bet Touhig got his walt decoration quicker than many servicemen get their Iraq medal.
  6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

A. Because he's a typical New Labour hypocrite

B. Because the spin-doctors think it looks good in the media

C. All of the above
  7. Are we up for a stint of flooding his 'in box'?
  8. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I have corresponded with Touhig before. His reply to my letter completely failed to address the questions I asked; my subsequent requests for an answer have been ignored. However, I am happy to contribute to any scheme to make the useless fecker do some proper work.

9. FMOB!
    Small wonder he hasn't got time to look after the interests of veterans when he has to look after all that lot as well! Come to that, how does he find time to look after his constituency?

St Sylvester? Hmmm, wonder what Tweetie-Pie had to say about that? :lol:

All that aside, a damn good piece from Simon Heffer, especially scathing about the support given to the chav-scum infesting this 'land fit for heroes'.
    Also worthy of note in the same issue is a letter from the Rev Canon Nigel Nicholson, Cranleigh, Surrey, picking up on the suggestion that the Last WWI veteran should be accorded a burial in Westminster.
  10. Ah, Simon Heffer. The fearless opinion maker who slagged off Liverpool and Scousers as welfare scrounging crims in Boris Johnson's mag. Pity he didn't have the courage of his convictions and admit it was him. T****r.