"Honour the brave" - most popular early day motion

Check here whether your local MP has signed this early day motion.
It was started by Kevan Jones, Labour and has been signed by 330 MPs to date, which makes it by far the most popular. The text reads:

That this House recognises the bravery, dedication and sacrifice of members of the armed forces serving in Afghanistan and Iraq; applauds the Daily Mirror's Honour the Brave campaign; and calls on the Government to ensure that all personnel in the Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force killed or wounded in enemy action are awarded a medal.

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=34185&SESSION=891

(Just hit CTRL and F and type in their surname to find them...)

For the record, Angela Eagle, my local MP is too busy to sign it as yet, in fact she's been too busy to sign ANY of the 1,450 issued.

I see that SoS Def (V) has not signed, nor the Leader of HM's Opposition.

Shame is the word, I think.

A lot cheaper than doing anything tangible for the troops i guess.I wonder if the motion had been for life long top quality healthcare/compensation for those wounded how many of those would of signed up?

elovabloke

ADC
Purple_Flash said:

I believe it is not the done thing for the leaders or SOS's and their shadows to sign.

insert-coin-here said:
A lot cheaper than doing anything tangible for the troops i guess.I wonder if the motion had been for life long top quality healthcare/compensation for those wounded how many of those would of signed up?
Agreed. I've now become so cynical that where previously I would have applauded such a motion, I now see it as a weak attempt to buy us off.

I felt the same way about Tony's Bonus. Still pocketed it though... :wink:

elovabloke said:
Purple_Flash said:

I believe it is not the done thing for the leaders or SOS's and their shadows to sign.
I stand corrected; thank you for the steer, you are more politically savvy than I!

Would this be the same daily mirror that honoured our boys by printing fake torture pictures which may have led to dead soldiers?

Also, haven't we already established that the purple heart uk stylee medal is a pants idea?

mark1234 said:
Would this be the same daily mirror that honoured our boys by printing fake torture pictures which may have led to dead soldiers?

Also, haven't we already established that the purple heart uk stylee medal is a pants idea?
More shameless spin on liarbore's part,basically a headline grabbing way of saying "look how much we value the troops",without having to tackle the real underlying issues at hand.Then again what else can one expect from this shower of utter,utter scum.

BPS666 said:
Sorry, MP's shouldn't be signing the motion. The powers that be can do far far more for those killed and wounded in the service of their nation than issuing a piece of tin and some lovely ribbon. Cuddling up to a gong will not put food on the table or put children through school or put a roof over a head and that is exactly what they should be doing. As much as a medal would be a nice addition, it should not be handed to the powers that be as a plausible option to generate spin and shirk their responsibilities. Sorry
edited cos I am a 'tard'

mark1234 said:

Correct - but these are politicians, who won't take into consideration our thoughts about the matter before they bring in this rather poorly defined idea.

Face it - this "medal" is a cheaper option than proper compensation for the wounded.

This is but a "nice" gesture with little action required and a "nice" line to be able to role out when next taken to task by a journo...."Of course I care for our soldiers, look, I think they deserve a medal and I have my signature on the motion to prove it......."

As to the numbers signing. No clue, no research, toe the party line -Baaaaaaaa!

A deeply cynicial motion that trivialises the issue. A lazy way for slack MPs to show they are doing something.

Instead of hounding MPs who have not signed this motion, why not ask the MPs who have signed it what, of stubstance, they are doing to improve the conditions of injured soldiers.

whyohwhy said:
A deeply cynicial motion that trivialises the issue. A lazy way for slack MPs to show they are doing something.

Instead of hounding MPs who have not signed this motion, why not ask the MPs who have signed it what, of stubstance, they are doing to improve the conditions of injured soldiers.
Agreed. Seems nothing more than sound bites........... Lets see,...... something happening on May 1st? :roll:

More hot air as reported by The Daily Mail. :roll: Click on the below:

“Aides travelling with Mr. Brown on his official visit to the U.S. said he believed the UK (sic) could learn a lot from the way his hosts treated their military, including medals for casualties.”

Sod the medals! How about proper medical and auxiliary care, the best prosthetics, timely physio, decent compensation and psychological / emotional support for the injured and decent housing for all? "The UK" doesn't need to learn anything about how to treat the military - the Government of the U.K. on the other hand should not only hang their heads but hang themselves in shame. :x

Given the political spin behind this medal, and the fact that is was campaigned for by a newspaper to sell more copies, would anyone actually wear it?

Or would they get "lost" on Ebay?

Instead of spending £100 million on mosquito nets for Africa ( noble cause maybe) how long would said funds keep Haslar open with it's clean wards and lack of MRSA, C dif and such, what better way of proving you give a sh** than proper after care for the troops

Purple_Flash said:

I don't believe they are allowed to. I wrote to my MP about another EDM that's what he said.

msr