Honorary Promotion In Retirement

RAF Sealand was a bit of a shithole anyway. Who wants to be a Ladyship of a long-closed minor RAF station? :D

(yes, I know it’s not the same place as the WW2 fort)

OP - Let us know how she gets on if an enquiry is made through official channels rather than social media.
I fancy an Honorary Promotion as well now!
Will do.

Although I fear the jump from Lance Jack to full Colonel might be a bit of an ask.

From their site:

'These effective Titles are not to be mistaken for Peerages, Titles bestowed by the State or used for any fraudulent means.'

As I said, they are knobthroats.
Is 'knobthroat' an honorary title...

Asking for someone on here...

The whole buying a title thing is pretty pathetic. It is akin to buying a plot of land on the moon, it just indicates that you are a bit of a lunatic.........

Afternoon All,

I am currently making enquiries on behalf of a colleague of mine who has asked me the question; "Is there such a thing as 'Honorary Promotion' In Retirement".

Persec prevents me from providing details beyond the basics.

Female, WO2, served 22 years. Selected for WO1 in final year of service. Left the service prior to promotion due to accident / injury not service related.

But in principal, can anyone answer any of the questions below?

1. Does such a thing as 'Honorary Promotion (in Retirement or otherwise) exist?
(if yes)
2. Who has the authority to sanction it?
3. What is the process for requesting/ applying for it?
4. Has anyone got examples / precedents where this has occurred previously?

Ref point 4 above, I know Captain Tom Moore was given the honorary rank of Colonel, but other than that I have no other point of reference.

TIA

Clubs.
No

When you leave you leave and become a civvy - you are just a person who happened to have been paid by the Army for some years

I did 22 years engagement and I do not identify as a veteran - I think all this veteran stuff is a load of bollocks

Archie

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well as a friend of Laphroaig I own a part of Isla.
Apparently.
This one?

1652792905181.png

ugly

LE
Oddly enough I left the regs as a buckshee but did three year’s TA service leaving as a full screw with the correct career qualifications for the rank!
When eventually my final insert arrived for my red book on being medically exempted from ref reserve liability it only recorded my former rank as a reg!
Not that it affects anything I just thought maybe Glasgow didn’t have he TA time shown?

Female, WO2, served 22 years. Selected for WO1 in final year of service. Left the service prior to promotion due to accident / injury not service related.

She has left the service and is now a civvie

Why are they even thinking about '' honourary promotion'' ?

She has left the service and is now a civvie

Why are they even thinking about '' honourary promotion'' ?
It's complicated. The injury prevented what was duly earned after 22 years service. To reach the pinnacle of the Non Commissioned ranks. There but for the grace of God go I, as some would say.

Union Jack

War Hero
Yeah, I'll happily have my A/Maj back, if the pension rise included.

Otherwise, they can poke it.
Assuming that we are not talking about the award of honorary rank to civilians such as Daniel Craig - and Boris's new friend, Lorraine Kelly! - the award of honorary rank on, not in, retirement from the Royal Navy was normally granted to officers who had spent two years in the acting higher rank, immediately prior to retirement, whilst pension/retired pay applicable to acting higher rank was calculated pro rata, up to the full on promotion rate applicable to the higher rank for completion of three years in the acting higher rank.

Jack

Someone I know has just brought himself a title that you can apparently use officially.

He can now call himself Lord so and so! It is mentioned on his Facebook page beside a photoshopped picture of himself in a senior general officers kit.

He was actually a quite junior NCO in one of the heavy mob battalions. He claims his wife brought it as a bit of a joke but for the money it cost, it seems to me the joke is on them.

I’d much sooner have stuck the money in my pocket and buggered off up the pub for a few days. There were several comments last time I looked asking “why!“ on his Facebook page.

Most likely not a lordship in the house of lords sense. There are other lordships called lord of the manor these titles are sold by some dodgy companies. There is a whole lot of history behind lord of the manor titles as, for example, the duke/lord of crumpetshire would also have probably a half a dozen lordship of the manor titles too. The dukes started to sell off these titles to make money as the holder was answerable to the local duke/lord anyway.

You may put lord of the manor along with your name in your passport to impress americans. And, that is about the only use it has Compared to back in the day. In times gone by the local lord of the manor used to have rights such as grazing, access to local places, and in some cases ownership of everything between the road and the hedgerow……….not so much anymore.

An american colleague of the wife when she was in Canary wharf bought himself a Lairdship. It cost him around 50 quid for which he received a pretty sustiffykut and some scroll things. He framed and displayed the certificate in his office, had the bank change his business cards to show his new title, and used to insist people referred to him as lord. Those who knew him knew it was a piss take of the anally retentive way we Brits doff our caps to titles.

QRK2

LE
There isn't.

Someone may be appointed to a honorary position, which comes with an honorary rank, but there's nothing like that which your friend is looking for - AFAIK.

I suppose Queenie could do something - after all, it's her train set - but that would be her choice. If your friend is thinking of writing to the Queen, however, I'd use a first-class stamp for the letter; just in case.

Yes there is.

As you say it's the boss's train set but I don't think she'd do it for a Warrant Officer.

It's not uncommon in the US armed forces.
It seems fairly common practice that the police ensure that their Sgts coming towards the last year of service get a quick promotion to Inspector before leaping out into civvy street, so that their pensions are sorted.

Quite why this WO2 is asking for Honorary WO1 rank is a mystery if she knows there will be no financial difference. Is this a "Keeping Up With The Jones' at the dinner party" and suburbia snobbery thing? Is she wanting to take her leaving plaque down to Timpsons and get the engraving changed to "Presented to WO1 XXX" for extra points on her Love Me board?

Last edited:
I hope it doesn’t sound harsh (it’s not intended to be), but she needs to let it go, take the money and enjoy retirement.
Sound advice. The only outcome will be decades of schimfing about it not being 'real' rank from the usual suspects..

That makes sense. In the absence of such extension, it’s a bit of a “F U” from Glasgow - “fill this slot as RSM for us, but we’re only going to pension you as an SSM” (other “trades” available).

I have know a few selected in their last year. In each case it was a sign on to complete 2 years in rank if you want it.

I had 18 months as WO1 and was granted 6 months extension in post to complete the full two years. Got sent a form letter from Glasgow which needed my CO agreement but, being a form letter, must be a regular thing.

Anyway, that's a bit off topic.

It's complicated. The injury prevented what was duly earned after 22 years service. To reach the pinnacle of the Non Commissioned ranks. There but for the grace of God go I, as some would say.
Very unfortunate to pick up a career ending injury towards the end of her Service. Can I ask if she was selected for Promotion to WO1 on a Board at APC Glasgow prior to the injury?

I was destined for greater things at higher command level, medically discharged with ingrowing toenail just before I picked up substantive L/Cpl. I would have given that Carter fellow a run for his money

Archie

Latest Threads