Honorary Promotion In Retirement

Afternoon All,

I am currently making enquiries on behalf of a colleague of mine who has asked me the question; "Is there such a thing as 'Honorary Promotion' In Retirement".

Persec prevents me from providing details beyond the basics.

Female, WO2, served 22 years. Selected for WO1 in final year of service. Left the service prior to promotion due to accident / injury not service related.

But in principal, can anyone answer any of the questions below?

1. Does such a thing as 'Honorary Promotion (in Retirement or otherwise) exist?
(if yes)
2. Who has the authority to sanction it?
3. What is the process for requesting/ applying for it?
4. Has anyone got examples / precedents where this has occurred previously?

Ref point 4 above, I know Captain Tom Moore was given the honorary rank of Colonel, but other than that I have no other point of reference.

TIA

Clubs.

Last edited:
Seems weird being selected for WO1 in last year of service. Pretty sure you need two years’ of service to get pension of the higher rank, so even if she had been promoted, she’d be doing a job with WO1 responsibility for a few months, and then looking forward to WO2 pension.

Afternoon All,

I am currently making enquiries on behalf of a colleague of mine who has asked me the question; "Is there such a thing as 'Honorary Promotion' In Retirement".

Female, WO2, served 22 years. Selected for WO1 in final year of service. Left the service prior to promotion due to accident / injury not sevice related.

(if yes)

Ref point 4 above, I know Captain Tom Moore was given the honorary rank of Colonel, but other than that I have no other point of reference.

TIA

Clubs.
There isn't.

Someone may be appointed to a honorary position, which comes with an honorary rank, but there's nothing like that which your friend is looking for - AFAIK.

I suppose Queenie could do something - after all, it's her train set - but that would be her choice. If your friend is thinking of writing to the Queen, however, I'd use a first-class stamp for the letter; just in case.

rgjbloke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Someone I know has just brought himself a title that you can apparently use officially.

He can now call himself Lord so and so! It is mentioned on his Facebook page beside a photoshopped picture of himself in a senior general officers kit.

He was actually a quite junior NCO in one of the heavy mob battalions. He claims his wife brought it as a bit of a joke but for the money it cost, it seems to me the joke is on them.

I’d much sooner have stuck the money in my pocket and buggered off up the pub for a few days. There were several comments last time I looked asking “why!“ on his Facebook page.

Seems weird being selected for WO1 in last year of service. Pretty sure you need two years’ of service to get pension of the higher rank, so even if she had been promoted, she’d be doing a job with WO1 responsibility for a few months, and then looking forward to WO2 pension.
I should clarify there is no intention or inference to claim any recompense in form of pension, lump sum or otherwise.

Afternoon All,

Female, WO2, served 22 years. Selected for WO1 in final year of service. Left the service prior to promotion due to accident / injury not sevice related.

(if yes)

TIA

Clubs.
It certainly happened after WW2 but not in the circumstances you describe. Some recipients were "granted" on retirement the higher rank which they had held "temporary", "acting" or "war substantive" for significant periods of their active war service.

Someone I know has just brought himself a title that you can apparently use officially.

He can now call himself Lord so and so! It is mentioned on his Facebook page beside a photoshopped picture of himself in a senior general officers kit.

He was actually a quite junior NCO in one of the heavy mob battalions. He claims his wife brought it as a bit of a joke but for the money it cost, it seems to me the joke is on them.

I’d much sooner have stuck the money in my pocket and buggered off up the pub for a few days. There were several comments last time I looked asking “why!“ on his Facebook page.
I bought Mrs Shiny_arrse a Ladyship of the Principality of Sealand for £30.
Totally official and legitimate but means feck all.

I am reliably informed that but for the accident, she would have been eligible to apply for an extension in service in order to qualify for the pension relative to said promotion to WO1.

I know of at least one person who was the beneficiary of this.

I am reliably informed that but for the accident, she would have been eligible to apply for an extension in service in order to qualify for the pension relative to said promotion to WO1.

I know of at least one person who was the beneficiary of this.

That makes sense. In the absence of such extension, it’s a bit of a “F U” from Glasgow - “fill this slot as RSM for us, but we’re only going to pension you as an SSM” (other “trades” available).

DITA

MIA

I was thinking that. The only way I can justify it in my head is:

22 Years served, but either 2/6 left with VEng (Full or Long). Selected with time to serve in rank.

Injured so MD'd despite being selected and having time to wear, substantiate and gain pension eligibility, but not actually getting to do any of them.

Makes sense in my head, anyway.

Then he and his wife are knobthroats.

I would wager a crispy 5 Quatloos that he/she purchased
I was thinking that. The only way I can justify it in my head is:

22 Years served, but either 2/6 left with VEng (Full or Long). Selected with time to serve in rank.

Injured so MD'd despite being selected and having time to wear, substantiate and gain pension eligibility, but not actually getting to do any of them.

Makes sense in my head, anyway.

a 'Lord of the Manor' title. Such a thing is not a noble title and the owner of such should be referred to as 'Charles/Mary S, Lord/Lady of the Manor of [Placename]'.

. . . still, if it gives them comfort . . .

a 'Lord of the Manor' title. Such a thing is not a noble title and the owner of such should be referred to as 'Charles/Mary S, Lord/Lady of the Manor of [Placename]'.

Well as a friend of Laphroaig I own a part of Isla.
Apparently.

OP - Let us know how she gets on if an enquiry is made through official channels rather than social media.
I fancy an Honorary Promotion as well now!

rgjbloke

On ROPS
On ROPs

I just had a quick look at his page.

I haven’t looked in any detail because I think it’s all rather silly but these are the people who sell this stuff to you.

I just had a quick look at his page.

I haven’t looked in any detail because I think it’s all rather silly but these are the people who sell this stuff to you.

From their site:

'These effective Titles are not to be mistaken for Peerages, Titles bestowed by the State or used for any fraudulent means.'

As I said, they are knobthroats.

OP - Let us know how she gets on if an enquiry is made through official channels rather than social media.
I fancy an Honorary Promotion as well now!
Yeah, I'll happily have my A/Maj back, if the pension rise included.

Otherwise, they can poke it.

Latest Threads