Hong Kong - Its past, the current and future - where is it heading?

HKP are extremely well resourced and equipped, they’ve got lots of toys to play with when it comes to ‘appropriate force’.

The group occupying Parliament is pretty small, when action comes it will be pretty swift. The HKP will probably hang-back until the early hours hoping fatigue has an impact on the occupiers resolve.
Riot police arrived en masse. Some protesters left as they were arriving. Tear gas dispensed to deal with protesters who had not left. Police showing signs to protesters which warn them that they are acting against the law and that force will be used if necessary. Live coverage on Sky News.

Organisers say 550,000 attend annual July 1 democracy march as protesters occupy legislature | Hong Kong Free Press HKFP

Hong Kong protesters occupy legislative chamber after smashing windows, vandalising corridors | Hong Kong Free Press HKFP

The Chinese have toned down a bit after Tiananmen square..
The PLA refused point blank to have anything more to do with internal security, with the result it got handed over to the People's Armed Police who were upskilled and upscaled. They're pretty professional and extremely experienced by now.

Live HK video feed

As a former resident of Loyalist West Belfast, I have to say that that is a very half-hearted attempt at rioting.

Has the BBC blamed President Trump yet?
Surely the BBC would argue that Hong Kong can't have freedom and democracy without being in the EU

Basically HK and Taiwan are powders kegs just waiting to be set off...HK already is smouldering but Christ help us if Tawaub goes off too...

Basically HK and Taiwan are powders kegs just waiting to be set off...HK already is smouldering but Christ help us if Tawaub goes off too...
The amount of chip fabrication plants and electronics that comes out of Tawain, it would be a bit of shock to the worlds economy if it does go off on one

The amount of chip fabrication plants and electronics that comes out of Tawain, it would be a bit of shock to the worlds economy if it does go off on one
Yep. I remember after the 1999 Jiji earthquake, the price of RAM went skywards. 20 years on, it'll be much worse, considering how much more tech is around now.

I think it's entirely possible that Beijing has sent in a few agents provocateur to do a bit of wrecking and make the peaceful protesters look bad.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
From Indonesia to Nigeria such discontent is growing, Emperor Xi is about to find out the same lessons his imperialist predecessors in London, Paris, [Tokyo] and Washington DC learned to their chagrin in the past about extending the benefits of enlightened technology for the benefit of the barbarian races, for some odd reason the barbarians never thank you for it.
Slightly amended ,just for the Reader.

( Anyone who thinks the unwilling members of the former Greater Asian Co-prosperity Sphere hold the Japanese in a warm nostalgic regard is deluded)

Japanese occupation of Malaya - Wikipedia

Sook Ching - Wikipedia

@SauceDoctor , @Edwardian Fred

My thoughts too. The spraying of anti Government graffiti on Chinese symbols inside the assembly building. Odd that the Polce let them take the building, then cleared the building and invited in the media and news crews to record this ‘vandalism’. It’s not as if the HK police don’t have the numbers to stop that.

I think Carrie Lam's found herself in the role of Hong Kong's Wojciech Jaruzelski. She has to tread the line between ensuring the protesters are contained well-enough for Beijing's liking while not sparking off an even bigger protest or fanning it into outright opposition.

HK is gone - everyone knows that, it's just a case of managing the reality - Taiwan is the next piece of puzzle with China ....

I think it's entirely possible that Beijing has sent in a few agents provocateur to do a bit of wrecking and make the peaceful protesters look bad.
My thinking completely. At the very least there would be penetration of the demonstrators for info on who is driving what and when.

Latest Threads