Hong Kong - Its past, the current and future - where is it heading?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Chinese people under a Chinese government? How is that alien?
You’re confusing ethnicity, culture and government. Hing Kong has a different culture to the mainland. The people of Hong Kong are predominantly Cantonese. Their new colonial overlords are predominantly northern.

They are all Chinese in the sense that ‘we’ are all European.

You’re confusing ethnicity, culture and government. Hing Kong has a different culture to the mainland. The people of Hong Kong are predominantly Cantonese. Their new colonial overlords are predominantly northern.

So are you suggesting that it's ok to have, for example, Germans or French governing Croats, Romanians and Italians, but not ok for Mandarins to govern Cantonese?

Hing Kong has a different culture to the mainland.
The massive majority of the world's Cantonese speakers are right across the border in Guangdong. The religious traditions, folk-practices, etc. all come from there.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that culture and nationality have any inherent relationship but I'm struggling to see how political disputes translate into alien status.

It is. This 'one country, two systems' never had legs. It was only ever there for the short term.

Even Taiwan has lost most of its former friends and supporters.

No. It was Deng Xioping's way to induce Taiwan to join peacefully. The mainland destroyed that by forcing HK to assimilate.

You clearly have never visited Shenzhen or Guangzhou. They are more 'Chinese' than Hong Kongers but there are many similarities including language and culture. You can, literally, walk over the border from HK to Shenzhen and, pre-covid, many people commuted to work over the border, in both directions, on a daily basis.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You clearly have never visited Shenzhen or Guangzhou. They are more 'Chinese' than Hong Kongers but there are many similarities including language and culture. You can, literally, walk over the border from HK to Shenzhen and, pre-covid, many people commuted to work over the border, in both directions, on a daily basis.
I have. Many of them dislike rule from Beijing and consider northerners to be outsiders.

Uniformed organisations that do drill have been under pressure for some time to use Chinese drill.

The various cadet forces have resisted that pressure so far but who knows. As recently as 2018 the police had a small team from the Guards giving them drill instruction.

Is this parade a one off or is Chinese drill the future?
I think that they had a former Guards RSM at the Police Training Centre for a long time after the handover, looking at some of the passing out parades of police recruits on YouTube. I don't know if that is still the case.

Most young recruits will have been born after the handover and most members of the force won't remember the old RHKP.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Many Brits dislike rule from Westminster and consider northerners to be outsiders. What's your point?
My point is that HK is subject to colonial rule from Beijing. Claiming that it can’t be colonial because they’re all Chinese is irrelevant. Of course it’s the argument that the CCP uses.

My point is that HK is subject to colonial rule from Beijing.
What's your basis for the claim, though? It's not culture, it's not the existence of separate set of rules (autonomous regions abound without being colonial), it's not preferring something else, so what is it?

An interesting debate, if only for the scarcity of polite disagreement these days.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Youth saying that they aint doing no goosestep and are sticking to British drill

I had an interesting discussion with a young instructor from the HKAC in 2018 while they were over here on an exchange with the ACF. The PLA had invited them to do a drill course which she did.

She was dead against. As far as she is concerned it was an attempt to introduce an alien culture and destroy their traditions.

Not sure how representative that is of the feelings of the general population. Clearly someone who had chosen to join the HKAC with its links to the Royal Hong Kong Regiment (The Volunteers) has self selected themselves to be in the HK traditions over Beijing traditions camp.

I wonder if the police goose stepping thing marks their intention to switch drill styles or if it was a one off sop to China and they will revert to proper drill for normal daily jogging.

241085506_10159682270116214_7055332417405935089_n.jpg

How many times do I need to tell you? When it comes to China, The Truth Of The Heart is more important than any mere facts can ever be.

Wong identifies as a murder victim and that ought to be good enough for anyone.

Latest Threads