Hong Kong - Its past, the current and future - where is it heading?

I love Hong Kong and would be delighted to see it stay as it is, but really, where do they think this is going? Sure they might delay the extradition bill this time with their Les Mis songs and umbrellas, but come on, the future is writ large, a snail may as well protest against the wheels of an oncoming juggernaut as Hong Kongers protest against their inevitable fate.

They simply must grin and bear it, the Royal Yacht Britannia isn't going to sail back over the horizon (not that any protestor thinks it will, I am being metaphorical) there is only one direction in which Hong Kong is travelling and the sooner they adjust their mindsets to that reality the better it will be for them.

Sad but true.
A lot of people, those with the means at any rate will want to leave. Some probably already have.

Mike Barton

War Hero
The last time I was in Pakistan I visited a Chinese run construction project. The Paki Army battalion assigned to protect the site had a cadre of officers that all spoke Mandarin. English was no longer seen as the desired first choice as a second language.
And that will be the Army's downfall, as it will be in in a dozen or more countries in Africa and Asia. All that spanking new infrastructure is lovely if you feel like travelling on a high-speed train between the capital and the business centre, or need to ship out raw materials from your mine or plantation to increase your profits.

But when it is built by specially imported workers from China and you are evicted from your little farm to make way for it all and find that your children will be paying for all this in decades to come in the slum to which you have been relocated you might not think so kindly of your Chinese benefactors, or the politicians and generals who got remarkably rich facilitating their deals.

From Indonesia to Nigeria such discontent is growing, Emperor Xi is about to find out the same lessons his imperialist predecessors in London, Paris and Washington DC learned to their chagrin in the past about extending the benefits of enlightened technology for the benefit of the barbarian races, for some odd reason the barbarians never thank you for it.

Kicking off again now that the G20 PhotOp is over..

'Hong Kong riot police have used batons and pepper spray on protesters occupying a road near the city’s government complex. Demonstrators stayed overnight near the complex to protest an 8am flag raising ceremony marking Hong Kong’s 22nd anniversary of reunification with China. By 7.30am thousands were already in the streets wearing hard hats and face masks.'

Fresh chaos on Hong Kong streets as protesters return

endure

GCM
Taiwan is well worth a visit, more like Japan than China (clean, polite and less shouty). The younger generation don’t see themselves as being mainland Chinese, they’re too wrapped up in K-Pop and Hello Kitty to bother about the motherland and patriotic one-China narrative.

Their attitude is like that of the South Koreans. They know a war with their unpredictable neighbours will be very bloody, but they don’t appear to let it get to them. They just crack on and live their daily lives. The standard of living in both countries is pretty high, the beers cold, the girls are up for it and the foods great.

Taiwan was part of the Japanese empire for a while wasn't it?

In 1997, China needed Hong Kong.
Now it has Shanghai.
The PRC began opening Special Economic Zones in the early 1980s.

Hong Kong only existed as more than a fishing village because access to China was a) heavily restricted by the PRC government and b) hugely desired by the outside world. As soon as more access points opened up, Hong Kong was living on borrowed time.

Taiwan was part of the Japanese empire for a while wasn't it?
For 50 years, from 1895 to 1945. They had 20 years of military government followed by 30 years of civilian administration aimed at presenting Japan as a colonial power in the European mould.

It left a number of legacies: the beginnings of an industrialised society (complete with educated workforce); some Japanese-style habits and preferences in food, architecture, etc.; and an ambivalence to the motherland which had abandoned them when they became a convenient bargaining chip in the game of Empires.

The PRC began opening Special Economic Zones in the early 1980s.

Hong Kong only existed as more than a fishing village because access to China was a) heavily restricted by the PRC government and b) hugely desired by the outside world. As soon as more access points opened up, Hong Kong was living on borrowed time.
Hong Kong as gone from being the big dog, to the flea Guangzhou’s back.

riksavage

Old-Salt
Correct, like Korea.
HK was supposed to be the poster child for Taiwan’s reunification with the PRC. That’s now in the shredder.

Let’s see how long the violence and vandalism will be tolerated for. HK has a history of riots going back to 1967 and the Cultural Revolution.

Hong Kong 1967 leftist riots - Wikipedia

Lead by the:
Hong Kong and Kowloon Committee for Anti-Hong Kong British Persecution Struggle (communists)

Last edited:

oppoStu

War Hero
Parliament chamber just been overrun by Honk Kong protestors after storming the main government building - BBC breaking news.

**** about to hit the fan.

riksavage

Old-Salt
Parliament chamber just been overrun by Honk Kong protestors after storming the main government building - BBC breaking news.

If you look at how the RHKP responded in 1967 (under British rule), the current HKP have been pretty tame. Then again a different time, shooting rioters and cracking heads was the norm in the 60’s.

If you look at how the RHKP responded in 1967 (under British rule), the current HKP have been pretty tame. Then again a different time, then, shooting rioters and cracking heads was the rule of the day.
The Chinese have toned down a bit after Tiananmen square..

endure

GCM
"“This is a complete trap, I’m sorry that people played into it,” pro dem lawmaker Fernando Cheung says inside the chamber. Says police could have easily cleared protesters earlier but allowed this to happen. "

riksavage

Old-Salt
"“This is a complete trap, I’m sorry that people played into it,” pro dem lawmaker Fernando Cheung says inside the chamber. Says police could have easily cleared protesters earlier but allowed this to happen. "
I think the pro-Beijing lot are hoping the images of protesters vandalizing Government buildings will sway public opinion. Eventually they'll use such images to justify releasing the Kraken.

Apparently the ’Kraken’ release point is pretty close according to my contacts back in the Farce.

singha61

Old-Salt

Watching live coverage on Euro new's YouTube channel, HK protesters inside HK
Legislative Council
building
Euronews English Live - YouTube

I think the pro-Beijing lot are hoping the images of protesters vandalizing Government buildings will sway public opinion. Eventually they'll use such images to justify releasing the Kraken.

Apparently the ’Kraken’ release point is pretty close according to my contacts back in the Farce.
Hmm, 'appropriate force' offers a lot of nasty possibilities.

'Hong Kong police gave an ultimatum to protesters who seized the city’s Parliament late on Monday (July 1), warning that they would soon move to clear the building and would use “appropriate force”.'

Hong Kong police warn protesters to clear Parliament or expect ‘appropriate force’

riksavage

Old-Salt
Hmm, 'appropriate force' offers a lot of nasty possibilities.

'Hong Kong police gave an ultimatum to protesters who seized the city’s Parliament late on Monday (July 1), warning that they would soon move to clear the building and would use “appropriate force”.'

Hong Kong police warn protesters to clear Parliament or expect ‘appropriate force’
HKP are extremely well resourced and equipped, they’ve got lots of toys to play with when it comes to ‘appropriate force’.

The group occupying Parliament is pretty small, when action comes it will be pretty swift. The HKP will probably hang-back until the early hours hoping fatigue has an impact on the occupiers resolve.

Last edited:

Latest Threads