Hong Kong - Its past, the current and future - where is it heading?

In Hong Kong shops are being rated by activists as "yellow", "blue", or "green" depending on whether they are perceived as being anti-Beijing, pro-Beijing, or neutral. The activists want their supporters to shop at "yellow" shops and to boycott "blue" ones.
B.C. shop owner 'surprised' he's in guide that colour codes businesses to support Hong Kong protests

This has spread to Vancouver, where shops are also being rated as "yellow", "blue", or "green" by activists connected with Hong Kong.

On an unrelated note, one of the people in Vancouver interviewed for the story is a former Hong Kong legislative councillor who now lives in Vancouver. Going by previous news reports who interviewed other former Hong Kong councillors, there seems to be no shortage of them in Vancouver. I have to wonder just how many Hong Kong politicians have packed up and moved to Vancouver but are still keeping their hands in when it comes to Hong Kong politics.

In Hong Kong shops are being rated by activists as "yellow", "blue", or "green" depending on whether they are perceived as being anti-Beijing, pro-Beijing, or neutral. The activists want their supporters to shop at "yellow" shops and to boycott "blue" ones.
B.C. shop owner 'surprised' he's in guide that colour codes businesses to support Hong Kong protests

This has spread to Vancouver, where shops are also being rated as "yellow", "blue", or "green" by activists connected with Hong Kong.

On an unrelated note, one of the people in Vancouver interviewed for the story is a former Hong Kong legislative councillor who now lives in Vancouver. Going by previous news reports who interviewed other former Hong Kong councillors, there seems to be no shortage of them in Vancouver. I have to wonder just how many Hong Kong politicians have packed up and moved to Vancouver but are still keeping their hands in when it comes to Hong Kong politics.
BC has always been a HK/ Chinese hub spot....I maybe stating the obvious.

BC has always been a HK/ Chinese hub spot....I maybe stating the obvious.
You are indeed stating the obvious.

And the point was about how many Hong Kong politicians seem to end up in Vancouver rather than about how many Hong Kong residents in general have emigrated there.

Something from the 'other side' for a bit of balance, though why the Communist regime should worry about Christmas (capitalism and religion rolled into one) must be pretty ideologically unsound.

'Hong Kong rioters descended on the streets on Christmas Eve vandalizing traffic and public facilities, as residents and business owners endured the gloomy aura of the festival due to worsened business and security environment in the city.

'Rioters set fire at Mong Kok metro station and a nearby HSBC branch Tuesday night and clashed with police officers on the streets. The police restrained several rioters in Harbor City, a shopping mall in Tsim Sha Tsui, and a security guard was injured in the clashes with violent protesters in Mong Kok. Rioters caused traffic congestion with vehicles stranded in Tsim Sha Tsui. Police were forced to fire tear gas to disperse the rioters. A water cannon and two armored vehicles arrived in Tsim Sha Tsui at late night. Police also quickly responded to reports of the vandalization of shops in Yoho Mall II.

'Earlier in the day, police were deployed to quell untoward violence and Commissioner Chris Tang Ping-keung patrolled the streets at Tsim Sha Tsui. Residents reached by Global Times on Tuesday said that unlike previous years when they used to go out for dinner, shopping, and revel in amusement parks, no such activities were on the card this year.'

Whatever/whoever started the trouble in Hong Kong has spoilt the "one country, two systems" approach to Taiwan.

The British Foreign Office felt that the PRC had voided the agreement as far back as 2014 (*see wiki link below). If so, why would the PRC be mentioning it in negotiations with Taiwan?

Mind you, history has lots of examples where governments run contradictory policies at the same time.

* Sino-British Joint Declaration - Wikipedia

The British Foreign Office felt that the PRC had voided the agreement as far back as 2014 (*see wiki link below). If so, why would the PRC be mentioning it in negotiations with Taiwan?
A difference of opinion over which parts take precedence. Basic Law grants the central authorities overriding authority in matters of national security and territorial integrity, which in Beijing's eyes cover a lot of ground we'd not considered when drafting it.

When they were negotiating the handover, they had an eye to Taiwan the whole time so have a clear idea of what they wanted to say with it.

Michael Yon is descending further into madness. He has blocked me from responding to any of his Facebook posts but recently posted this - British police officers are his new bugbear.

Hong Kong: Excuse my vulgarity. My grandmother never would approve! A friend just sent this video to me.

This is me on Christmas Eve shouting at one of the Police Chiefs -- Bradley Wright -- to xxxx off. (And some much worse things.)

The British Commander then came over to me and put his hand on my arm saying he is just doing his job like I am doing mine. I told him to xxx off you xxxxxxx xxxx! You xxxxxxx communist traitor! (Not verbatim but pretty close.)

Bradley Wright is commander of this area and was showing he was in charge when I challenged him on the street. (Sometimes people say I am not an objective reporter, to which I say I am not a reporter and I hate communists.)
They did not arrest me.
I've done this many times to Hong Kong Police and they never arrest me for some reason -- everyone else gets beaten up.
They've hit me a few times and I have pushed back and for some reason they just never beat me up.
It is VERY important to stand up to them and contest the streets. This is not COIN. This is Insurgency.
Bradley Wright is one of the British Subjects commanding on the Hong Kong Police Force. Why does UK allow this -- unless the British subjects are spies?
The video of Bradley Wright approaching me is bottom right at 0527. While I am shouting at him, Commander Wright puts his hand on his weapon and comes at me and I hold ground and keep calling him a xxxxxxx traitor.

Sadly, for someone who has been very respected for his work in war zones, his anti-China rants and overt calls for revolution and 'insurgency' in Hong Kong are the ravings of someone who appears to be becoming, rapidly, unhinged.

Been a bit quiet recently, but potentially returning to 'old normal' for civil unrest.

'Hundreds of riot police have descended on protests in Hong Kong shopping centres as hundreds of demonstrators voiced their anger with the authorities they say are abusing social distancing laws to restrict civil liberties.

'In Moko mall in Mong Kok on Sunday, a policeman shot pepper balls at protesters and journalists who were one floor above after a water bottle was thrown towards a group of officers from that level. Police arrested at least 11 people, including a 12-year-old girl, and issued fines to dozens more for violating a social distancing order prohibiting more than eight people from gathering in a public place.'

Last edited:

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Been a bit quiet recently, but potentially return gin to 'old normal' for civil unrest.

'Hundreds of riot police have descended on protests in Hong Kong shopping centres as hundreds of demonstrators voiced their anger with the authorities they say are abusing social distancing laws to restrict civil liberties.

'In Moko mall in Mong Kok on Sunday, a policeman shot pepper balls at protesters and journalists who were one floor above after a water bottle was thrown towards a group of officers from that level. Police arrested at least 11 people, including a 12-year-old girl, and issued fines to dozens more for violating a social distancing order prohibiting more than eight people from gathering in a public place.'

Holy thread resurrection Batman, beware you may encourage a return of the Colonel who knows all!

Been a bit quiet recently, but potentially return gin to 'old normal' for civil unrest.

There have been several cases in recent days of children (they are almost all school age) meeting up at shopping malls and singing protest songs, nothing more nothing less.

There is an expectation, and a hope, that if the violence kicks off again, in the wake of economic devasation following the last round and the coronavirus, that the new chief of police and new head of the liaison office will be somewhat more hard-handed in slapping it down.

Holy thread resurrection Batman, beware you may encourage a return of the Colonel who knows all!
Five months; hardly a record.

There have been several cases in recent days of children (they are almost all school age) meeting up at shopping malls and singing protest songs, nothing more nothing less.

There is an expectation, and a hope, that if the violence kicks off again, in the wake of economic devasation following the last round and the coronavirus, that the new chief of police and new head of the liaison office will be somewhat more hard-handed in slapping it down.
Economics over ideals; no real surprise.

Economics over ideals; no real surprise.
I think the ideal is to be able to run a small business without having to fork over a 'democracy tax' to teenagers or face a mysterious fire.

I guess the police were criticised in the report for their poor truncheon technique and failure to use chemical agents more lethal than tear gas.

'Hong Kong's police watchdog has called for a review of guidelines on the use of tear gas and training for officers in public order policing, in a long-awaited report that some democracy lawmakers decried as "superficial".

'Relations between the police and public have plummeted during months of anti-government unrest, with allegations that officers used excessive force against demonstrators, and ordinary people often emerged on the sidelines of protests to hurl abuse at police.

'In its report, the Independent Police Complaints Council (IPCC) studied officers' behaviour in the months after June 2019, when sometimes violent protests brought parts of the city to a standstill and plunged it into its biggest political crisis in decades. The IPCC said while it did not tackle the individual accountability of officers, the police acted within guidelines although there was room for improvement.'

The Hong Kong section of the International Police Association produced this report detailing what the police have been up against.

Friends and neighbours of mine are Malaysian Chinese. Another couple are Singapore and Sarawak Chinese. They have no time for the demonstrators and are fully supportive of the HKPF.
I am English, living in Hong Kong and I, and very many people I know, are wholly supportive of HKPF

Friends and neighbours of mine are Malaysian Chinese. Another couple are Singapore and Sarawak Chinese. They have no time for the demonstrators and are fully supportive of the HKPF.
I was surprised at the level of violence directed at them and also at those CIVPOP who don't actively support the protesters. I knew there'd been attacks on particular individuals or businesses that didn't actively support the protesters but the scale's been largely unmentioned in the reports of the UK, US and western European media outlets I've followed.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I am English, living in Hong Kong and I, and very many people I know, are wholly supportive of HKPF
So is there someone stirring up the demonstrators?

Latest Threads