Hong Kong - Its past, the current and future - where is it heading?

It does seem to have all the inevitability of a classic Greek tragedy. The Chinese are going to come down hard.Especially after the Airport shenanigans. I dont know if the protesters are hoping someone will come to their aid. But no one will. Could the whole thing now be orchestrated by China. As an excuse to finally get a grip on the place?

It does seem to have all the inevitability of a classic Greek tragedy. The Chinese are going to come down hard.Especially after the Airport shenanigans. I dont know if the protesters are hoping someone will come to their aid. But no one will. Could the whole thing now be orchestrated by China. As an excuse to finally get a grip on the place?

The escalation to petrol bombs bodes particularly unwell for the protesters.
They are providing Beijing with TV report media gold.

Keep reading the term ‘radicals’ being used by State media.

What’s the message pBeijing is sending out?

I'd expect that next we'll see the authorities shut down the mobile network, to prevent these idiots communicating.
Then either a mass kicking for the protesters, live on TV to discourage others, or a few hundred doors kicked in at zero dark thirty?
Either way, I foresee any demonstrators that are nicked spending time on the mainland being re-educated, the very thing they're protesting against.

gaijin

War Hero
From protest to mugged by the mob. There appears no coherent organisation other than rioting being organised via social media. There is no single point of conflict resolution, that being left to discussion between individual protesters, as to whether to let captives go with paramedics or to hold them hostage. There is no evidence so far that the captive is an undercover policeman. There was some talk of him being China friendly press. Again, no evidence other than a t-shirt.

The irony is that the protesters want democracy but some are acting like thugs. "If you believe in fools the mob rules." They have damaged any credibility they had today.
That is, increasingly, the view on the ground. Sympathy is waning - as I predicted*

*Fortune telling and future predictions available between the hours of 9am and 5pm - Bitcoin accepted.

I agree with several posters (can't tick you all), that the Chinese government is orchestrating things in little ways and allowing hot heads a bit of rope, to move things along to a point where china can move in with a veneer of cover... How this plays in Taiwan and the theory that they should sell out freedom for the security of a two china model should be a wake up call for the Taiwanese political establishment.

Oh boy...knowing how busy HK airport is...and strategic it is...they are definitely inviting the Chinese mil soon..

Probably should. Especially if they want to go...

Maybe some already know they don't want to be British?

Maybe it's time to add another state?
Just as well there is no handy bit of desert for parachuting crates of weapons into (like Syria, allegedly).

I wonder if the PLA will use 'war of the flea' tactics, and occupy the countryside first.

The protestors are not playing their hand at all well. It has got to the stage where it is unclear to the rest of the world what their aims and objectives are. I strongly suspect that they themselves have very little idea.

If they continue to push and push, the mainland PRC runs out of options. When they do, it will get very messy indeed and the outcome will be a Hong Kong that is more firmly in the control of the PRC than ever before. The central government will tell the whole world that they gave the protestors every chance, but, ultimately, the rule of law had to be upheld. They will also be able to claim, with no little justification, that the 'one country, two systems' policy is unworkable.

gaijin

War Hero
The protestors are not playing their hand at all well. It has got to the stage where it is unclear to the rest of the world what their aims and objectives are. I strongly suspect that they themselves have very little idea.

If they continue to push and push, the mainland PRC runs out of options. When they do, it will get very messy indeed and the outcome will be a Hong Kong that is more firmly in the control of the PRC than ever before. The central government will tell the whole world that they gave the protestors every chance, but, ultimately, the rule of law had to be upheld. They will also be able to claim, with no little justification, that the 'one country, two systems' policy is unworkable.
That is very much the irony of the situation, The problem is that they are kids, with no leadership, no experience and no strategic view. It is the lack of these qualities that makes PRC intervention more likely (although it is still unlikely at this stage). It is also their lack of focus, and increasing lack of self-control, that is losing them public support.

Watching a bit of mainland Chinese English news this morning, much use of the trigger words ‘social harmony‘ & ‘disorder’..... seems to be building a case for the need to take action for the greater public good.

Did no one think when giving HK back that China one day would police it they way they wanted to?
Perhaps giving it back was our problem, now why start complaining about it?

Perhaps the Chinese should start questioning Boris & Brexit?

Did no one think when giving HK back that China one day would police it they way they wanted to?
Since it was written into the handover agreement that one day they would, it shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone.

Perhaps giving it back was our problem, now why start complaining about it?
The British are quite good at patting themselves on the back, particularly when it comes to diplomacy. The reality, especially during the retreat from empire, was that it was often handled very badly, India being a case in point.

In the case of Hong Kong, the starting point was that we had no real historic justification for being there. Our presence in HK was based upon a moribund treaty hatched up while China was under duress, in order that we might continue poisoning very profitably the Chinese population with opium.

Latterly, reality sank in and we realised that we no longer had the means or the capability to defend the colony from mainland China, nor from anybody else (the Japanese taught us that).

We conducted the withdrawal negotiations as if we fully expected the PRC to be jolly good chaps and to play by the rules of cricket - at least for the following fifty years.

We had absolutely no means of ensuring that the treaty was adhered to once the PRC had control.

Nothing very much about which to beat our breasts in pride or to mark up as a resounding success, although I daresay Chris Patten is still dining out on it.

Latest Threads