Hong Kong - Its past, the current and future - where is it heading?

riksavage

Old-Salt
I am surprised to see that there are still British officers working for the Hong Kong Police, I had assumed they all were retired off yonks ago.

Fury over leading role of senior British police officers in Hong Kong
There was zero pressure to leave following the handover. I left just prior to the handover, my choice. Eight years service, time to move on. Fortunately, I had six months paid leave plus my final gratuity, so no pressure. I went on to do a short post-Grad in Aussie.

The three expats who keep appearing in the press where at the Police Training School (PTS) just after me. My passing out parade was in January 1989. Retirement age is 55, so expat numbers are shrinking fast. The very last expat is the Son of the officer who recruited me back in 1988. If you transfer across to ICAC you can serve until 60.

Last edited:
It looks like Cathay Pacific Airways is bowing to pressure from Beijing, and staff sackings have commenced,

That sucks...that's like the NFL which had created this stupid policy where when the anthem was being played, you couldn't kneel down in protest against racial crimes committed by the police..they withdrew it a few months later as there was so much backlash and everyone started doing it.

CP is one of my fav airlines BTW..

There are reports on French media of PLA armoured vehicles massing on the HK border.

Any locals got any info?

Those would be the PAP?
Aren't they Beijing’s paramilitary internal security people who break up protests and the force widely expected to be sent in if Beijing decides to break heads?
PAP have quite a wide remit, including disaster relief, border control, bodyguarding dignitaries and securing overseas missions and embassies, as well as acting as a federal police force and keeping internal security. The PRC fire brigade is a branch of the PAP, too.

After a series of high-profile blunders by local SWAT teams, they were also given responsibility for overseeing all public order ops in the PRC (minus HK and Macao SARs). They're pretty good and have brought a much-needed professionalism to the job.

They've taken a hard stance in XInjiang and operate more like light infantry there.

PAP have quite a wide remit, including disaster relief, border control, bodyguarding dignitaries and securing overseas missions and embassies, as well as acting as a federal police force and keeping internal security. The PRC fire brigade is a branch of the PAP, too.

After a series of high-profile blunders by local SWAT teams, they were also given responsibility for overseeing all public order ops in the PRC (minus HK and Macao SARs). They're pretty good and have brought a much-needed professionalism to the job.

They've taken a hard stance in XInjiang and operate more like light infantry there.

Police with flamethrowers!

riksavage

Old-Salt
The PRC crisis communications department are increasingly using the word ‘terrorist’ when referencing protest action. This alters the narrative and I’m sure will be used to justify a steady increase in use of force options. PRC commentators linking phrases like ‘show no mercy to terrorist agitators’ doesn’t bode well.
I read, water cannon is the next toy to come out the the Golf bag.

Blogg

LE
There are reports on French media of PLA armoured vehicles massing on the HK border.

Any locals got any info?
No sign of armour.

Just rather a lot.

This lot are merely "preparing for a drill". In Southern China. Around abouts Shenzen.

Last edited:

gaijin

War Hero
Lets put this to bed right now

These videos were NOT filmed in Hong Kong. They are popping up in feeds here - mostly Michael Yon's from some of his ultra-conservative nut-nut followers who are convinced the that 'Chicoms' are coming for them as soon as they have subdued Hong Kong.

These are NOT from Hong Kong

EDIT:

Just seen above that these are, purportedly, Southern China (could well be Guangzhou from the pics and there is a large garrison there where vehicle movements are a common sight on the streets) so apologies for ranting at you. Honestly though these videos, and scare stories, do more harm than good.

Last edited:
Lest put this to bed right now

These videos were NOT filmed in Hong Kong. They are popping up in feeds here - mostly Michael Yon's from some of his ultra-conservative nut-nut followers who are convinced the that 'Chicoms' are coming for them as soon as they have subdued Hong Kong.

These are NOT from Hong Kong

EDIT:

Just seen above that these are, purportedly, Southern China (could well be Guangzhou from the pics and there is a large garrison there where vehicle movements are a common sight on the streets) so apologies for ranting at you. Honestly though these videos, and scare stories, do more harm than good.
And are a rehash of articles previously published on 6 Aug.

riksavage

Old-Salt
Rumour has it the protesters have grabbed an undercover mainland cop at the airport and are holding him against his will. Light touch paper and stand back, or fake news? The conspiracy theorists are having a field day.

I have videos of brawling on the floor of the airport terminal (can't upload for some reason). A complete breakdown in law n order.

Last edited:
One policeman appears to have been getting a bit of a kicking - he managed to draw his pistol but refrained from shooting any of his attackers.
The more I see of this, the more I sympathise with the police. I think the protestors are going to give Beijing the excuse to march in.

One policeman appears to have been getting a bit of a kicking - he managed to draw his pistol but refrained from shooting any of his attackers.
The more I see of this, the more I sympathise with the police. I think the protestors are going to give Beijing the excuse to march in.
I hope they don't push it too much...because they will get a massive bloody nose if they get too much, from Beijing.....there's only so much CN will tolerate...

CNN are showing someone who was plasticuffed and getting a shoeing on the floor. He's now getting first aid.
The police need to get in there and smash some heads in.

From protest to mugged by the mob. There appears no coherent organisation other than rioting being organised via social media. There is no single point of conflict resolution, that being left to discussion between individual protesters, as to whether to let captives go with paramedics or to hold them hostage. There is no evidence so far that the captive is an undercover policeman. There was some talk of him being China friendly press. Again, no evidence other than a t-shirt.

The irony is that the protesters want democracy but some are acting like thugs. "If you believe in fools the mob rules." They have damaged any credibility they had today.

4(T)

LE
From protest to mugged by the mob. There appears no coherent organisation other than rioting being organised via social media. There is no single point of conflict resolution, that being left to discussion between individual protesters, as to whether to let captives go with paramedics or to hold them hostage. There is no evidence so far that the captive is an undercover policeman. There was some talk of him being China friendly press. Again, no evidence other than a t-shirt.

The irony is that the protesters want democracy but some are acting like thugs. "If you believe in fools the mob rules." They have damaged any credibility they had today.

To be fair, most of them probably realise by now that they'll most likely be facing a future in the Gulag. Despair seeks its outlet in strife.

Latest Threads