Hong Kong - Its past, the current and future - where is it heading?

Beijing attempting to tighten the screws further with staff at Cathay Pacific the latest target,

I am beginning to feel the end game here will be a full-on invasion and crackdown by the Chinese military and the end of the Hong Kong SAR and both Hong Kong and possibly nearby Macau being absorbed into the PRC proper.

Should this happen, the worldwide implications could be very severe.
Agree with the first part but thing the world implications won't . Big blip on the markets , few months maybe years and trot on.

Much like the Iran/UK stand off. Iran knows the UK is a paper tiger. And no direct UK action unless the USA asks us to.

With current tensions in both Hong Kong and in Kashmir, not forgetting North Korea, is the PLA able to fight on two or three fronts at once?
Why would Kashmir effect China? Unless India and Pakistan decide to go for the shiny sand option and drop a few Nucs on each other .

NK , China could just stop all support. Again, is little rocket man mad enough to start nuc war with them, ?

Why would Kashmir effect China? Unless India and Pakistan decide to go for the shiny sand option and drop a few Nucs on each other .

NK , China could just stop all support. Again, is little rocket man mad enough to start nuc war with them, ?
China owns a large chunk of Kashmir. Even without use of nukes, having tens of thousands of angry jihadis on your doorstep must require some precautions?
India probably isn't bonkers enough to take on China, but Pakistan is chock full of bonkers people.

riksavage

Old-Salt
Forget the politics, HK has one of my fav street food scenes...along with Singapore..
Honkers beats Singa any day of the week. The weather is better in the winter and the people are friendlier.
Having lived in both cities for twelve years, I’d beg to differ. HK people are known for their shouty rudeness. Go spend some time in Yuen Long.

Sadly HK is going down the tube. The one thing that stuck me the most on my last visit was the large number of black drug dealers operating in LKF and Wanchai openly selling hard drugs. Mainly Nigerians. You always got Nigerian Toms flip-flopping between KL and HK, but never male drug dealers on the scale you see today. Before the handover Nigerians in HK were as rare as hens teeth.

Last edited:
Having lived in both cities for twelve years, I’d beg to differ. HK people are known for their shouty rudeness. Go spend some time in Yuen Long.

Sadly HK is going down the tube. The one thing that stuck me the most on my last visit was the large number of black drug dealers operating in LKF and Wanchai, openly selling hard drugs. Mainly Nigerians. You always got Nigerian Toms flip-flopping between KL and HK, but never male drug dealers on the scale you see today. Before the handover Nigerians in HK were as rare as hens teeth.
Nigerian drug dealers also infest Bangkok. It is time the powers that be in both cities cracked down on them and rounded them up.

One thing the PRC will not tolerate should direct PRC rule be imposed on HK in the future. The Chinese execute drug-dealers.

gaijin

War Hero

Sadly HK is going down the tube. The one thing that stuck me the most on my last visit was the large number of black drug dealers operating in LKF and Wanchai openly selling hard drugs. Mainly Nigerians. You always got Nigerian Toms flip-flopping between KL and HK, but never male drug dealers on the scale you see today. Before the handover Nigerians in HK were as rare as hens teeth.
The dealers all disappeared some time ago. They were 'encouraged' out by local business interests who used both official and non-official channels to do so.

One thing the PRC will not tolerate should direct PRC rule be imposed on HK in the future.
That'll come as a surprise to neighbours of 'Chocolate City' in Guangzhou.

Incidentally, a significant portion of Africans in Guangdong chose to renew their visas by a quick trip to HK and back rather than do it in situ. It seems the HK authorities were much more lenient with things like habitual overstaying and inadequate proof of maintenance funds - provided the registered address wasn't in HK.

That'll come as a surprise to neighbours of 'Chocolate City' in Guangzhou.

Incidentally, a significant portion of Africans in Guangdong chose to renew their visas by a quick trip to HK and back rather than do it in situ. It seems the HK authorities were much more lenient with things like habitual overstaying and inadequate proof of maintenance funds - provided the registered address wasn't in HK.
There's a good few drug trafficers from the Philippines who have been executed in the PRC. I can't see why those from Africa should be allowed to get away with their crimes.

Incidentally there's a Soi Africa in Bangkok off Sukhumvit Road around the Soi 2 area west of the Nana red-light area. A right den of criminality.

There's a good few drug trafficers from the Philippines who have been executed in the PRC. I can't see why those from Africa should be allowed to get away with their crimes.
Yet the fact is they have.

More Africans have fallen off buildings trying to evade visa inspections than have been executed for drug trafficking.

Beijing attempting to tighten the screws further with staff at Cathay Pacific the latest target,

I am beginning to feel the end game here will be a full-on invasion and crackdown by the Chinese military and the end of the Hong Kong SAR and both Hong Kong and possibly nearby Macau being absorbed into the PRC proper.

Should this happen, the worldwide implications could be very severe.

Some token harrumphs in the West, then back to normal

Some token harrumphs in the West, then back to normal
the fallout from HK disappearing as a separate entity will, most likely be limited to the financial markets. This could have a serious fall-out on the economies of major western countries and deepen the coming recession.

riksavage

Old-Salt
Nigerian drug dealers also infest Bangkok. It is time the powers that be in both cities cracked down on them and rounded them up.

One thing the PRC will not tolerate should direct PRC rule be imposed on HK in the future. The Chinese execute drug-dealers.
The dealers all disappeared some time ago. They were 'encouraged' out by local business interests who used both official and non-official channels to do so.
Not in LKF, I was there two weeks ago. In the old days we’d have them in Central nick for a interview without coffee, a quick brief on the reason why their ethnicity was a problem.

Nigerians also run a lot of bars in Tokyo. Apparently because Japan buys oil from Nigeria visa access was made easier. Also, you get quite a few Iranians working in bars in Tokyo, they speak fluent Farsi and Japanese (zip English).

the fallout from HK disappearing as a separate entity will, most likely be limited to the financial markets. This could have a serious fall-out on the economies of major western countries and deepen the coming recession.
The financial markets will only react if HK ceases to exist as a reliably profitable jurisdiction.

If the SAR government succeeds in controlling the protests, it'll be business as usual; if the PRC intervenes but restricts itself to jumping up and down on the protesters in tackety boots, it'll be business as usual; if the PRC fully absorbs the HKSAR but leaves the reliable profitability intact, it'll be business as usual.

Financial markets generally don't think democracy is an important factor in their calculations.

There's a federal MP here (AU) who's raised a ruckus by promulgating a finding that China might just be a bit intrusive and a bit grasping in their aspirations. Furthermore they may not be as benign as they appear at first glance. Much ballhoo from their Embassy here, who is evidently mortified that anyone should think ill of their intentions. Interesting timing, given the HK/South China Sea/Huawei/social manipulation of overseas Chinese etc.
MP Andrew Hastie questions China's intent. And then some.

Latest Threads