Hong Kong Coppers Stick Together

I've always thought Hong Kong to be a fairly un-corrupt place, but this case makes me wonder

Trial awaits for cyclist ex-officer's car struck
Briton hurt when former assistant commissioner ran into bike will face careless cycling charge
Lana Lam
Updated on Jun 10, 2012
A top cycling activist who was hit by a car driven by a former assistant police commissioner will appear in Kwun Tong Court tomorrow to face charges of careless cycling and not having a bike bell.

The incident happened shortly before 7pm on August 31 last year in front of the Cheung Kong Center in Central, near where Garden Road meets the Queensway.

It is understood that former assistant commissioner of police Spencer Foo Tsun-kong was driving the car when it collided with Martin Turner's bicycle while Turner was on his bike and waiting at a set of traffic lights in front of Foo's car.

Turner, 50, was knocked to the ground and taken to Queen Mary Hospital where he was treated for bruises, cuts and tendon damage.

His bike was crushed under Foo's vehicle.

Turner, a marketing consultant, is the chairman of the Cycling Alliance - a position he has held since 2006. He has been at the forefront of several campaigns lobbying the government to improve its policies on cycling as a means of transport rather than simply a recreational activity.

Originally from Britain, Turner has lived in Hong Kong since 1984 and has been cycling on the city's roads for about a decade. He also organises the annual Ride of Silence held every May to commemorate cyclists who have died on the roads.

Turner has trained police on cycling safety issues.

Foo joined the force in 1967 when he was 20 and retired in 2005 after 37 years of service. His last position was as director of personnel and training. He worked in a range of posts, including crime investigation and training, and was also assistant commissioner of operations. His decorations include the Queen's Police Medal and the bronze Bauhinia Star for distinguished service.

Tim Parker from law firm Vidler & Co is representing Turner, while senior counsel Christopher Grounds will act for the prosecution.

lana.lam@scmp.com
Not having a bike bell? FFS...

Update:

Cyclist claims former policeman assaulted him[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]

[/TR]
[TR]

[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Stuart Lau
Updated on Jun 12, 2012
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] A cycling activist facing a careless-riding charge after being hit by the car of a former senior policeman alleged yesterday that he was physically assaulted after the accident.The allegation came on the first day of the trial. Martin Turner, 50, has pleaded not guilty to careless riding but guilty to a charge of riding without a bell. The charges arose from an accident in Central on August 31 involving Turner's bicycle and a car driven by Spencer Foo Tsun-kong, a former senior assistant police commissioner who runs a security firm.
Foo's rank was one of the top seven in the police.
Turner, a marketing consultant who has chaired the Cycling Alliance since 2006, told the court that he suspected Foo had deliberately run into his cycle. The force of the impact pitched him onto the road and injured his arm and leg.
But Foo said the rider, whom he had overtaken once, had suddenly swerved in front of his car, resulting in a "very, very minor collision".
Turner told Special Magistrate Lau Suk-han in Kwun Tong Court that Foo had been "fully aware I was there", because they had exchanged eye contact as he overtook Foo's car on Queensway, near the Bank of China tower, immediately after a traffic light turned green.
After the collision, Foo had approached him and "at one point, he raised one of his forearms against my neck ... It was a very, very firm contact". Foo, who gave evidence first, had earlier rejected suggestions by defence counsel Timothy Parker that he had threatened or assaulted Turner.
In his evidence Turner said: "[Foo] was just standing there. He made me feel uncomfortable by giving me a very clear impression that he was only thinking in his mind what to do next. [Foo] was not reacting in a way a driver [who has hit someone] would react."
Turner said he was very familiar with roads on Hong Kong Island, having cycled on them for more than a decade.
Describing the accident, Foo, who quit the police in 2005, said: "All I noticed was a bike that suddenly appeared in front of my car."
He said he had already overtaken the bicycle once, after seeing Turner "riding in a zigzag manner". He rejected a suggestion from Parker that this was a new allegation although he had not mentioned it in previous statements to the police.
Foo said that when he went to check on the fallen Turner soon afterwards the cyclist had already got back on his feet. "He shouted at me saying that I hit his bicycle … and that he would sue me."
Foo's daughter, Betty Foo Pui, who was in the front passenger seat, said the way Turner had fallen seemed strange. "It was like slow motion," she said.
She also said Turner had yelled at her immediately before the accident, apparently upset about the previous overtaking. "He pointed his finger at me … and his mouth was open." She said she did not hear what he said.
The case was adjourned to Friday, when prosecutor Christopher Grounds will cross-examine Turner.
stuart.lau@scmp.com
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Hong Kong News Headlines | Hong Kong's premier newspaper online | SCMP.com

Bloody cyclists. Does he think that he's Hong Kong's answer to Katie Melua?

They don't have bike lanes in Central in Hong Kong for a reason! What a cock this turner chap seems to be!

The Hong Kong Police are reasonably fair minded, as good as, or better than, most. I have always found them extremely helpful and fair minded. If you bugger them about, however, then you deserve what you get.

It looks like this Turner chap is trying to make a point, and not very well. He is guilty, after all, no bell for ****'s sake!

There are very, very few people who cycle in this area, and the locals that do use the tram lane.

The RHKP was known as the best police that money could buy. Before I joined of course.

Cyclist's can be very aggressive. They are not motor cars, yet they often act like they own the road. A few months ago, my car actually stopped working as I was driving along. As I used the falling momentum to get to the side of the road out of the way of the traffic, a cyclist overtook me banging his fist on the car windows because we had dared to get in his way.

If my knee's weren't so fucked, I would have chased the bastard. I understand how vulnerable someone on a bike can be but many of them have an almost childish attitude and have no consideration for other road users at all.

Would the HK Department of Justice be interested in hiring a UK jury? Just to ensure that there's no suggestion of racism influencing the verdict, you understand...

Everybody was Kong Foo cycling...

...Rick Shaw?

I had dim sum at the Police club in Hong Kong after watching the noon day gun cermony once - so I think I would know better than most that Spence Foo is clearly in the right and that Turner maliciously reversed his suped up Grifter with stunt nuts and handle bar triple gear change grip under the poor mans car and never even rung his bell......

He should be tied to a North Korean space rocket and fired into the sea............
Was she cheap?

A few years back, I was stopped by the HK police for driving one of these:

in a pedestrianised area of Cheung Chau. After a stern bollocking, I was made to carry it back to the road. As justice goes, it seemed fair enough.

I bumped into a couple of HK OB chums this evening, and even they said that the 'riding without a bell' charge was an own goal. The cyclist chappie may well have form for previous bike vs. car argy-bargies, but the ex-cop is apparently 6 feet + and chunky (unusual for a HK Chinese cop) and it' s not beyond the realms of possibility that he did get his fore-arm across the cyclists throat.

******* good job they are cracking down on scum riding bikes without bells. I mean their worse than paedo child murderers aren't they?

I mean what if a violent drug dealing triad gang or snakehead member was knocked by someone on a bell-less bike? That would be terrible.

How come they were not disbanded when we gave honkers back to the chinese?
The 'Hong Kong Special Administrative Region' gets to run all of its own internal affairs in the pre-handover style for 50 years after the handover - Basic Law, policing, judiciary, the HK Executive, the whole kith and caboodle. 'One country, two systems'.

The RHKP was known as the best police that money could buy. Before I joined of course.
I have an idea that not many have appreciated the fine point of your comment.

In the ‘70s/’80s a certain number left in a hurry because of exactly that; some of them reappeared in the ME

One of my old mans mates went out there when the ICAC was formed. Some of the stories were pretty outragous. He came back in the 80s and a few months after he got back his boss was killed by a car-bomb.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wm1965 The Intelligence Cell 47
JoeCivvie Old & Bold 0
Skunkmiester Travel 6