Honest John / Lance- Anywhere to see one?

A question regarding the Honest John and/or Lance missiles.

My father was in 50 missile many years ago, is there anywhere in the UK with either the Honest John or Lance on display etc for my parents to visit?

The picture below is of my mother back in the day.

I think there's a Lance at Larkhill, but that's not really for public display so to speak

Firepower Museum probably your best bet

Cheers to everyone, and the Larkhill Lance is pretty interesting as I can arrange to get them in at some point. Woolwich is on their list as places to go, but they never realised that one was there!

Can confirm both Honest John and Lance are at the Fire Power Museum.
Worth a visit!!

Ah takes me back to the good old days :D . remember that last firing in the heb's. was a wet and windy affair. Not long after that the lance and 50 msle regt were no more :(

Saw Honest John fired at Larkhill around '71 I seem to recall it was the last one to be fired in mainland England?

VMechA said:
Saw Honest John fired at Larkhill around '71 I seem to recall it was the last one to be fired in mainland England?
Posssible, I was at AAC Harrogate in '71, but did see one fired in Germany about 5 or 6 years later.

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
Fugly said:
There is a Lance parked up as a gate guard in Arborfield. (Near Reading)
In addition to this, the REME Museum isn't a bad visit either - not worth making a long trip for, but if you're in the area, why not.

still21inmymind said:
VMechA said:
Posssible, I was at AAC Harrogate in '71, but did see one fired in Germany about 5 or 6 years later.
I was there too - you must remember me? I was the one in the khaki suit with the shiny buttons

still21inmymind said:
VMechA said:
I remember that, it was reported on BFBS Radio and was probably 1976/77 and they were the last to be fired in Germany. The countdown sequence was 6,4,3,2,1 they didn't use 5 in case someone misheard it as the word "Fire"
I saw some live firings at Hohne in either 1971 or 1972, we were taken from Soltau school to watch. They were frighteningly loud when they took off.

Honest John is in the Field of Fire at Firepower, the Lance in in the Cold War Gallery that isn't currently open to the public, but you may be able to arrange a special visit if you contact the museum in advance.

VMechA said:
I was there and saw it too- and have some photos we took of it in the air somewhere. Cost £5,000 each missile I seem to remember they announced over the tannoy- a lot of money back then- am I remembering that figure right?

tommikka said:
A question regarding the Honest John and/or Lance missiles.

My father was in 50 missile many years ago, is there anywhere in the UK with either the Honest John or Lance on display etc for my parents to visit?

The picture below is of my mother back in the day.
I imagine the truck was a write off after launch!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Royal Signals 6
django_strikes Gunners 11
M Aviation 19