Homeschooling for normal kids - Right or wrong

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by MSSC, Jul 3, 2007.

1. its Bad, get back to mainstream you skivers

2. Great, homeschooling really brings out the best in kids

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon all,

Here's a poll question: Is home schooling a good or bad option for 'normal' kids.

Obviously, to define normal I mean, my kids and I have no religious creationism vs evolutionism issues. I just think schooling unless you are at a grammar or one of the lucky decent schools (or paying for a decent one) to be crap. In addition, there is so little value placed on GCSE and A Levels (I got two F's when A levels actually meant something!) that I can't help but feel that a decent home curriculum cannot help but be better.

Has anyone any experience or thoughts on the subject?

To define my thoughts in context, I should add that I got sod all from school but seemed to have done OK and I don't see much that I learned at school of any use now though I recognise that some of it was 'character forming' is some way or another.
  2. I don't think children would miss out educationally (as long as it's done right) in being schooled from home.

I have serious reservations about what sort of effect it would have on their social skills though. I've met a couple of really strange kids who were home schooled. They talked just like their parents, couldn't communicate with kids their own age at all and had no interest in going outside and getting mucky with other children.

My kids love going to school because they're with their peers constantly and after the first week of the school holidays they want to get back! Mind you, that could be my crap parenting!
  3. There is no normal for children. It is like living with a bunch of drunk midgets most of the time.

Bear in mind that if you undertake to home-school your children, you are issuing an open invitation to the "authorities" to pay extreme close attention to them and get right inside your home.
  4. I home schooled my last child for two years before he left high school. He was bored to tears at school and was getting no-where. He enjoyed home schooling and is better read than a lot of his peers. We had to register with the education department as he had already been in the school system and give them an idea of what we were going to cover work wise. Once I got the rubber stamp then we heard nothing else from them. If you don't ever register a child for school then certainly here in Scotland you don't have to tell anyone about your home schooling.

One thing I would say is to make sure you register to have the exams at a local school and do it in plenty of time as we didn't and he missed out in that respect although we covered the curriculum - we used online resources and past paper books to make sure we were covering the right areas.

5. Definitely a bad option. If inclusive education has taught us one thing, it's that home-schooled pupils miss out on the balloons and icecream handed out to the class so they don't feel left out when the mong gets them. Think of the money you'll save!

Seriously, though, kids need to knock around with their peers to develop their social skills and the healthy fear of being filled in that underpins good manners and a sense of community.
  6. I so enjoyed the social aspects of my school days (not that I did much school work!) I learned about all sorts of things - girls, working for a wage, sport, drinking, the list goes on. How does a home educated child get all of this? Even if s/he has friends in the local area, s/he will miss out on the common, shared experiences that are the social "glue" of peer groups.

In addition, how do you ensure that your teaching is relevant to modern curriculums and exams? For all that they are sh1te nowadays, try going to a potential employer and saying "no I don't have the relevant qualifications, but don't worry 'cos my parents taught me all I need to know!"

Which also raises the question of preconceptions. No matter how good your teaching, how will it look on their CV? If they don't even get to interview, then it doesn't matter how brilliant they are.

7. There are a lot of misconceptions about the legality of home education. It is much simpler for parents if their child has never been enrolled in a school as opposed to withdrawing them from a school. Even schools & local authorities seem to think that regular checks or tests are needed but that is not true, see below & link.

All quotes from:

"Local Authorities have no automatic right of access to parents' homes."

"Although parents are not legally required to inform their local authority when they decide to educate their children at home, it is helpful if they do this." (Helpful to whom? Probably not the parents or child.)

"It is for parents to decide how they deliver home education. They are not required to follow the National Curriculum nor to keep to school hours."

8. I think home schooling is excellent for some kids, especially if they have very intelligent parents like Steven Hawkins.
    Although PE could be a bit of a problem.
  9. I certainly see nothing wron in principle with home schooling, though I think it can be a real load for the parents, but that is their choice. There ar I believe several organisations that provide support especially for dealing with the LEA, and with planning courses etc. As for exams I think in todays world you will have to plan for then and ensure the little blighters do well, so much these days sees these bits of paper as the entry level to further steps.

The big proble I see is replaciing the social interaction that children get at school, of course that is not impossible but depending on where you live it can be a challenge, especially when the kids are younger. There is also the aspect of physical activity, and choice in physical activity, keeping fit is part of the equation but so also is the child finding their own way in this so variety here should also be given.

One of the potential pitfalls is that officialdom really only considers the academic achievement bit, home educators will show that this can be easily achieved but at 16 or 18 will the child be able to go out into the world and survive socially, will they be able to chat up the opposite sex, and do what they need to do together sensibly and safely, and the grounding for that starts when they are 5 not 15.
  10. PE is not such a problem. A local girl is home-schooled and every Wednesday afternoon she and her parents nip off for either a bracing country walk or sailing. You could miss out on team sports but then again that has become a bit of a lottery in the state sector too. As a result Saturday and Sunday morning team-sport clubs are thriving.
  11. With the breadth of extra-curricular activities available these days, even home-schooled children have plenty of opportunities to interact with their peers.
  12. Had quite a few home-school kids tip up in my classes in university. Hard working bunch for the most part, pretty bright... but definitely weird.

Might have been a bit of aculture shock for them though, to say the least- 18 years at home with mum and dad 24/7 to moving away to a big city and 35,000 classmates. Normally, by the end of 4 years they'll have adapted.
  13. I've met a few people who were home-schooled. Fcuking wierdos, the lot of them. But at least they aren't as fcuked up as their parents.

Parents who go down the home-schooling route tend to be from the extremes of the political spectrum - either so pinko they're knitting their own sandals out of tofu, or slightly to the right of Peter Hitchens. Neither position is one I'd recommend. And it also strikes me that the parents in my experience are egotists who are willing to bet their childrens' future that they can do a better job than the school.

Do the sensible thing, pack the little buggers off to school where they may quite possibly not do well, but at least will learn how to interact with the rest of society, and make friends of their own age. As opposed to being stoned on sight by the local comp kids because they trot out whatever little bon mots you've taught them as if it's on stone tablets. And don't knit their uniform out of tofu.
  14. In the vast majority of cases pupils will get the social interactions they need and the appropriate level of schooling in the education system.
    EVERY kid should also be "homeschooled", in that there should be positive encouragement, negative discouragement and help offered for completion of homework or anything else that may engage the brain.
    Some pupils that are homeschooled are homeschooled because they're a nightmare - their social interactions are zero. Unfortunately taking them away from that social situation can just make them worse. From a teacher's perspective? One less kid to worry about when they've got their back turned :p
  15. I personally think that home schooling is bad option for children , I think children miss out on social skills which are very important later in life .