Homes for ex-servicemen. Hopefully.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PE4rocks, Apr 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hope this goes ahead. It is certainly a step in the correct direction if it does.

Shropshire Star.

2. That'll paper over the cracks to the fact there is a massive shortage of ALL housing.

3. Why? What makes ex-service people so special?

4. Fixed it for you

• Like Like x 1
  5. Special forces mate, obviously. 40% of people who say they were in the army but have forgotten thier number were in the SAS, stands to reason.

6. Ask Shropshire Council.

7. I wish that transition housing was an occurrence that happened as a default rather than a favour. I am due to leave in 2 years and have started housing now. It is really stressfull, I am not after a stately pile just somewhere to live. The market has a lot of over valued housing at the moment. Shared housing seems to good to be true, also there is a lot of cheap housing in over 50 estates. For the past 6 months I have seen the same houses come up again and again in the over 50 estates. This is making me angry. I also have to look for a bungalow or flat on a ground floor, as my knee was shattered. I am close to being Pap 10, so the stress is building even further.

A lot of the houses in my hometown have been bought up by property developers, and rent is ludricously high. Even worst after speaking to the council to be registered for a council house I have NOT got enough points to get seen straight away. I was even told that I was making my self homeless at the end of the 22 yr service. Trying to explain that my contract has run out is nigh on impossible.

So hopefully other councils follow suit and sort out this housing farce.

8. It's not like you've had twenty years to prepare...

9. You don't need a ground floor flat or bungalow. Houses can easily be adapted to any disability you have. Have you spoken to JSHAO?

10. So what (apart from propping up a bar for the last 20 yrs) have you been doing with your wages?

11. Didnt know that JSHAO can help out this early, as for the cheeky comment about 20 yrs to prepare, fair one, I was planning on using my gratuity on a deposit and my pension as mortgage payment, looking at costings, I will not be able to afford that.

Cheers Dingerr, its stairs that I have a problem with, getting up is easy its the crunching on the way down. Do not want a lift and I am stubborn fcker I want to be as active as possible and a bungalow would keep the strain down. Its good that they can adapt housing.

thanks guys,

DTC

12. You may have to start of in a house with a stair lift, with a view to getting a bungalow once you are settled and in a better position.

I bought my house through David Wilson homes, they did a squaddy discount (5% I think) and gave some extras (flooring mostly). The good thing was we bought from plan and had the adaptions done as it was built, saving us a fortune and covered by their warranty.

If you're considering a mortgage, you need to get one now whilst you are employed. Look around for new developments across the country (if you don't mind where you live) there's some kind of obligation to build so much affordable housing on each development.

13. All new builds have to have basic accessibility built in now, flush thresholds on doors, bigger doors, stairs designed for ease of fitting stairlifts etc, unlike my previous early 80's gaff were the stairs had so my architecturally 'clever' twists and turns, it would have made the stairlift look like a ride at Alton Towers.

Couple of things to bear in mind though…

Bungalows are quite a bit dearer for the same amount of floor area compared to regular houses.
    Moving from a 3 bed semi only got me a 2 bed bungalow, and they take more heating as every rooms an outside one with an outside roof.

Affordable housing on new build estates? Check that the local Housing Association/Council is not buying some of them up. My local HA did just that on an estate near me and moved a load of their more 'exotic' tenants into them, leaving the owner-occupiers living on a dump estate.

Also, don't be scared to ask Social Services for adaptations help and funding, they're pretty good at squaring things away. Things like ramps, rails, parking bays, stairlifts, adapted kitchens, adapted bathrooms, wetrooms, modified beds and settees, (surprising what a difference raising the settee just 6" makes when you have buggered knees), etc.
    A lot of people think they only help people in social housing, nope, they're just as helpful to owner-occupiers.

• Like Like x 1