Homeowner sued after woman delivering junk mail claims she i

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Poppy, Feb 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23440697-details/Homeowner+sued+after+woman+delivering+junk+mail+claims+she+injured+her+hand+in+letterbox/article.do

Junk mail rarely brings you something you want, but for one homeowner it has led to a lawsuit landing on his doormat.

Paul O'Brien is being sued by a woman who says she trapped her hand in his letterbox while posting mail.

Joy Goodman, a cake decorator in her late 40s, is seeking damages for personal injury and loss of earnings.

She claims the top of her right index finger was severed by his letterbox and she can no longer do her intricate job.
    Mr O'Brien, 44, from Morley, Leeds, vowed to fight the claim, branding it "a joke".

The self-employed engineer said: "When I received a solicitor's letter I thought someone was having a laugh.

"I actually told them they had sent it early - April Fool's Day is still six weeks away.

"I just cannot believe someone who came on to my property uninvited, to put junk mail through my door that I didn't want, can now sue me because she hurt herself.

"I do not even know what the woman posted to me. I never read my junk mail.

"When I get junk mail I usually just scoop it all up and throw it in the bin."

The divorced father of two was out when Mrs Goodman claims she was hurt at the door of his four-bedroom detached new-build house.

She returned two days later and, finding him out, spoke to a neighbour and left contact details for him to get in touch with her.

The next he heard from her was when he received a letter from her solicitors saying she was claiming damages.

It read: "We understand that the circumstances of the accident are that our client was delivering a leaflet to your house when your letterbox snapped back on to her right index finger.

"As a result of this, our client suffered from personal injury and loss."

The letter did not state how much compensation she was pursuing, and asked only for his acknowledgement.
    Mr O'Brien said: "It said they could claim against my house insurance. But if they pay out, my premiums will go up.

"Either way it will be me who ends up footing the bill. I am going to tell them to challenge it.

"I didn't invite this person on to my property and there is nothing wrong with the letterbox - I haven't altered it or done anything to it.

"It's just like every other letterbox on this estate. It's the one that came with the house. I asked the Royal Mail if they had had any problems with it.

"They said they hadn't and that in any case their staff are trained to make sure they don't get hurt while delivering.

"It seems like we're becoming more and more like America. Everyone wants compensation."

Mr O'Brien now has a poster in his window that reads: "No salespersons, No junk mail."

Mrs Goodman declined to comment, saying only: "It is in the hands of my solicitors."

A neighbour of Mr O'Brien said: "This is absolutely crazy. I might put a sign up too. That could have happened to any one of us."

Absolutely ridiculous!!!!! you couldn't make up such a stupid story :evil:

2. ffs im leaving, this place gets worst each day!

Stupid bitch, if she hadnt put her hand in the letter box....her own fault for being a retard!

3. DID HE NOT NOTICE THE FINGER LYING ON THE MATT!!!????!

4. Ridiculous but even more so when I first read it; I thought she was also claiming for loss of earrings. Yet another case of an idiot finding someone else to blame for their own mistake then suing them.

5. Welcome to the United States of Britain :roll:

I see the guy is a self employed engineer, so I reckon he should put in a counter claim for loss of earnings whilst dealing with this bollöcks and when a court (hopefully) sees sense, it´ll be the stupid and obviously clumsy cow who has to fork out........

Does this story warrant a "I´m outraged" ?? :wink:

6. This whole issue of not making people responsible for their own actions is ridiculous. Standing on a train platform the other day when an announcement was made saying "Would customers be aware that the platform becomes slippery when wet" No sh*t sherlock, I think I can work that one out myself. If people are stupid enough to stand that close to the platform edge, that when they slip over, they'll fall in front of a moving train, then so be it.

They will only do it once. :lol:

One less stupid person in the gene pool..................human race becomes more intelligent:D

7. Probably only partially severed. This kind of thing make me wonder if Darwin's idea of the survival of the fittest was actually tounge in cheek.

8. If she is a cake decorator and her hands are so important to her then why did she not insure them?
    Could Mr O'Brien not sue her for trespassing on his property?
    You have to be pretty stupid to leave your hands in a letterbox after posting something in it. Ever heard of a postie or paperboy/girl that this has happened to? No.
    Looks like she eats most of the cakes that she decorates.

9. Counter sue for trespass and inflicting hazardous substances (blood and tissue) to your property. Then give her a fcuking huge kicking in court when you see the fat lump (of which she will be)

10. Sign being made for my house:

HOMEOWNER NOTICE

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU ENTER THIS PROPERTY AT YOUR OWN RISK

DELIVERY OF OFFICIAL MAIL AND PARCLES WELCOME

OFFICIAL VISITORS WELCOME

JUNK MAIL DELIVERIES WILL BE TREATED AS TRESPASS AND LEGAL ACTION WILL BE TAKEN

THE HOMEOWNER ACCEPTS NO LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURY OR ACCIDENT OCCURING ON THE PROPERTY

ANY UNLAWFUL VISITORS WILL BE EJECTED WITH REASONABLE FORCE AND LEGAL ACTION WILL BE TAKEN

SECURITY DEVICES INSTALLED WITHIN THIS PROPERTY ARE DESIGNED TO INFLICT HARM

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Should do the trick . . . :)

11. Have done something similar with a London council that had tried to issue me with a parking ticket even though I was not in that part of London on the day in question. After spending a lot of time and effort proving that they were in error I received a standard letter from them stating that "on this occassion we are waiving the charge". Bo**ocks says I, I was not guilty of any offence therefore you don't waive the charge, you say sorry we made a mistake there is no case to answer. I therefore invoiced them for my time and effort involved with fighting the charge. Still waiting for a result and will keep you posted.

12. Sadly you can only sue for trespass if someone refuses to leave your property. That's the legal basis all those bloody ramblers use to enable them to walk over vast tracts of Lord "Whatshisname's" land. He catches them on it and tells them to get off in jerky movements, so they continue walking with the argument that they are already leaving and it doesn't matter which direction they head as they'll end up at the boundary eventually. Smartarrses.
    Finger end off eh?
    That's gonna smart a bit as they take ages to heal 'cos you keep trying to use the damaged finger. :lol:

13. That reminds me of the tale of a shopkeeper in Halifax (I think) who was fed up with constant break-ins. He was told to take a sign down which said "Danger, this shop is rigged at night with shotguns and tripwires". :twisted:
    Of course there were no shotguns or trip wires but they made him take the sign down anyway. Gits. No farking sense of humour at all.

14. If the end of her finger fell through the letter box can he not do her for trespass as the finger has not left his property despite him requesting that it does so?

15. Tell me about it. I sliced the top of mine off at work the other day, with a potato peeler of all bloody things, claret everywhere.

But yeah, stupid doris... I hope she gets fcuked off at the high port...