HOMELESSNESS & ex Servicemen

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mike_2817, Mar 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.soldiermagazine.co.uk/mag/feature2.htm

From this Months Soldier Magazine

Lest we Forget - 'The Living'

2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The majority of homeless lads on the streets I speak to are ex-services. I can normally get them on side by reminding where they came from and speaking their language. Many left the Army didnt cope to well initially and then fell on hard times. And unless you've been there I doubt it is easy getting straight again due to the drink, drugs they've dabbled with (and rely on) and criminal records they have.

I've directed a few to SSAFA/ RBL and other agencies set up for ex servicemen, but others are just to far in the pit to ever climb out of it.

Like my WW1 grandfather said "A land fit for heroes, my arse!"

3. Disgusts me that this country can so easily forget these guys who served, especially with this encumbent government :evil:

if you want to help a little bit, buy a Big issue, the guy/girl may not be an ex but they could also possibly be one

4. A few years ago I remember the SUN doing a big story on how many homeless are ex-servicemen - they quoted around 70%. Prompted by this a team from APC went around London with a lap-top containing a database of every soldier who has served since the 50's.

They asked homeless people whether they were ex-army and as per the Sun's findings apporx 70% said they were. However, when they asked for their name, rank and number and unit they either 'couldn't remember' or gave details that did not tally with the database. The teams conclussion was that about 3% of homeless in London are ex-army. The other 67% say they are because they think that they will be treated better by the public/charities if they are veterans.

Whilst I don't doubt that there are ex-army on the streets it is not as prevalent as the media may lead you to believe.

5. yer right, :lol: then lost it in a cafe :twisted:

6. I must admit when I spoke to one of the team members I thought he was very brave walking around the dodgier areas of London with a laptop! Maybe it was the usual Army issue 20 year old crap that no-one would look twice at!

7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Surely it is a tragedy for any ex-servicemen to be on the streets?

8. Surely it's a tragedy for anyone to be living on the streets?

9. The Big Issue is a scam,the person who started it up is living a life of rilly. If you want to help those that have served this country,then donate to The RBL or The ABF, these are there to help whenever posible.I have asked the RBL to start of a new Rough Sleeper Badge. This would be sold to people and all PROCEEDS would go back into homelessness issues and ACCOMMADATION.
    I'm hope the RBL take this issue up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LOYALTY is a TWO way STREET------------------------Mr Tony Blair (Labour Party)

10. The Big Issue is a scam,the person who started it up is living a life of rilly. If you want to help those that have served this country,then donate to The RBL or The ABF, these are there to help whenever posible.I have asked the RBL to start of a new Rough Sleeper Badge. This would be sold to people and all PROCEEDS would go back into homelessness issues and ACCOMMADATION.
    I'm hope the RBL take this issue up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LOYALTY is a TWO way STREET------------------------Mr Tony Blair (Labour Party)

11. Where is the evidence for this? Or are you perpetrating a scum story of the all beggers are undererving scammers??

Kings College have been given a wodge of dosh to study what happens post Op TELIC because the MOD thinks that around 25% of rough sleepers around London are ex services.

This is a figure that RBL field officers tell me fits their experience. Partially this is common sense. The army trains people to live rough.

12. Partially this is common sense. The army trains people to live rough.

This is the most pathetic statement I've ever read. All armed forces personnel work in a controled enviroment with good welfare care. The transition from Military Life to Civilian is huge,familiy members suffer as well as the main bread earner. In the 22 years I have served,I can safely say NONE of my fellow comrades have enjoyed living in the field (living rough),it's just part of military life,so we get on with it.
    The SUN newspaper did run a story on rough sleepers,It has also been reported on by the FOCUS Mag (Military Issue) in OCT,NOV Issue 2005. The government has said the figures are down due to ESAG and other charities. We serve and we get injured or killed in the name of democracy and under the flag of the United Kingdom,however when we leave the Armed Forces we are treated as third class citizens. The Homelessness Legislation states the following:

Ex- Service Personnel 15.10 Under s.199(2) and (3), serving members of the armed forces, and other persons who normally live with them as part of their household, do not establish a local connection with a district by virtue of serving, or having served there while in the forces.

This is what Housing Assocations hold against Armed Forces Personnel when they look for social housing in an area they have settled down in. The following, is an extract from the local housing assocation in MId Beds. Tell me if this is DISCRIMINATIVE.

•That they currently reside in the area in secure accommodation and have done so for not less than six months in the last twelve or three years in the last five, secure accommodating does not include, for example, Bed and Breakfast, staying temporarily with family, friends etc.

•That they have close family resident in the Mid Beds area i.e. mother, father, brother, sister, adult son or daughter whom they wish to be near and who live in Mid Beds and have done so for at least the last five years.

•That they currently have permanent full time employment in the area excluding casual work or serving in the Armed Forces.

All serving personnel and their family are itinerant due to their employment,is it correct to Discriminate against Military Families due to the fact they have served their Country?

If you would like proof of the FOCUS Mag story please send me a PM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOYALTY and RESPECT is a two way street--------------------Mr T Blair (Labour)