Homeless, Jobless and Wifeless

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Mar 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Homeless, Jobless and Wifeless
    This is how a recent commentator described the predicament of a significant number of ex-service personnel who find themselves without any affordable accommodation on leaving the services. The homeless predicament often leads onto jobless status because of their homeless status and in time the break up of their marriage.
    Many are young service personnel who have been discharged with mental and physical wounds and have not had time to get into the housing market but are discriminated against when applying for social housing. Service personnel on discharge are not given affinity points like civilians who gain these points for living in a particular area. Service personnel are allowed no points because of their itinerate life style, a life style imposed on them in the service of their country.
    The legislation is unfair and especially so with forces personnel engaged in two wars and with an ever increasing tempo of active service operations. The British Armed Forces Federation, The Royal British Legion and the Army Families Federation are all involved with this campaign to amend the current legislation so that ex-forces personnel are given the same opportunity when applying for social housing as any civilian, no more or no less. However, until the current housing legislation is changed it is patently unfair in its present form.
    We need the help of all service personnel, their family, and friends in supporting an Early Day Motion in the House of Commons in order to get the legislation changed. Please go to the Royal British Legion link at the bottom of this page, it finds your MP, writes the letter and all you have to do is send it! There is an old parliamentary saying ‘the door that squeaks gets the attention! We all need to squeak!
    We need your help, go on the link or copy this and send it to family and friends.

If you have time help with the Downing Street Petition would be appreciated.

2. This was placed on another site by another user, but explains, I believe the need to get the legislation changed especially so for the younger war wounded who really have had no chance to get enough money together for a mortgage.

I've just spent a year doing a financial planning and counselling course (in own time using own money) so I speak with a least a minimum of knowledge...

£30k for round figures...

Lets take the Skipton building society...I know this establishment and trust it...I don't agree with some of it's policies but it's a money making firm with it's own bills to pay...

They will loan you four times your pay...This IMO is too much but a bull housing market means anything less just comes no-where near you achieving bricks and mortar...

4 x 30,000 = £120000.

Lets say you've managed to save £6000 which nicely works out at 5% deposit on a £126,000 house/flat...You'll avoid stamp duty due to being below the min threshold but you'll probably incur a loan to value (LTV) penalty due to your small deposit of around £2500 or you can go for a mortgage with less competitive interest rate (they'll get it back off you in one way or another!)...this can be added to your mortgage along with probably £500-700 of arrangement fees...you'll have to find the £3-400 search fee's and the £500-700 legal fees...

Lets see how this stacks up then

mortgage size = 120000+2500+700 =£123200
    initial outlay = 6000+400+700+1260 = £8360

A repayment mortgage based on a rate of 5.5% over 25 years will be £756 a month (figures used will and can change but this is a generalisation based on median values)

Add on a grade 'B' council tax charge of £100 per month
    Water and sewage of £25 per month
    Electric of £25 per month
    Gas of £35 per month
    telephone of £20 per month
    Buildings and contents £30 per month

756 + 100 + 25 + 25 + 35 + 20 + 30 = £991

I'm going to say that a Cpl techie clears £1650 a month (readjust this figure for your selves or if its totally out)

1650 - 991 = £659

That's just the basics for just shy of a grand...There's no beer, food (notice my priorities there ), broadband, car running costs, treats for the kids, clothes, school trips, Christmas pressies and costs etc etc etc...

SO...The very long winded point I am making to the 'person' who I think was drinking and typing is that a person on 30 k could afford a house if he was single and had the ability to save £8360 or was married and his wife worked or if not then they intend to live the life of a monk...

HOWEVER...Where the fook are you going to find a house (outside of perhaps Lincoln) for £126,000 in the UK that you would actually want to live in?????
  3. I live in a village just outside Lincoln and I can assure you that it will be a real struggle to find anything , other than a hovel in a rough area for anything like that sum. Make it about £150,000 to £160,00 and you might be in the right ball park. Apart from that I agree totally with your views
  4. Armed Forces personnel should be defined as key workers for affordable housing purposes. They could buy during the last year of service if leaving for example, or earlier to maintain a residence other than a FQ. This has the added attraction of encouraging a highly employable labour market to settle/remain in an area.

Affordable housing is a local/national government requirement and helps housebuilders get planning permission. In Scotland, for example, 25% of housing is to be "affordable" which includes renting and buying. Local authorities negotiate the precise provision with the developer, although the housing could typically be a block of flats in a corner of the development rather than a mix of sizes and types.

War wounded who are discharged should be given a sum equivalent to a house purchase as the bare minimum their country owes them. :pissedoff:
  5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Skynet - a good rundown.

The days of the traditional repayment mortgage being a reasonable proposition for most are near gone, IMHO. I was taught to save before I buy and never take credit - a practise I still try to adhere to. I know a mortgage is a little different but it doesn't help that most people these days seem happy to accept a level of debt that would give me the heebie-jeebies.

Saying that, if you can't buy a place to live without giving up your soul to the bank as well as your wallet, what are you to do?

All I see ahead are longer term mortgages (30-50yrs), more and more interest only deals, more money for the banks and in the long run, more people putting less money towards other essentials - like pensions. We will start catching the backlash in 20-30 years and it won't be nice.

I pity those that haven't got on the property ladder in the last few years.
  6. Of course if you are a young war wounded with a disability which reduces your earnings potential its even more difficult to get onto the housing ladder. Even more reason that service personnel should not be discriminated against when applying for social housing.
  7. in_the_cheapseats

Agreed - society must take more responsibility.
  8. in_the_cheapseats

Money paid in rent is money wasted - simple fact. I'd always prefer to own.
  9. I keep on squeaking-yet if a soldier returns from ops exhausted then he needs time to understand 'why' he got there and then he needs time to find his feet again. At the early stages he needs help and intervention. He also needs compassion and understanding.

Basically he will need financial support-emotional support and a gentle process of re-adjustment. Not casting out to fend for himself after giving his all. 'Squeak squeak'.
  10. I agree we need all these but what we don't need is discrimination against those who are returning from the wars. Well done EAGLE1 your comments and help with this campaign are appreciated.
  11. We should see an improvement in the EDM and petition figures tomorrow.
  12. The current figures for the Downing Street petition are 2952 so with a bit of luck we should break the 3000 barrier tomorrow.
  13. Some cnuts need to get a grip.

While i have total sympathy with people who have fallen on hards times out of their control, i couldn't give a toss about those who cannot look after their finances and plan for the future.

In no way should the government be responsible for providing soldiers with cheap housing once they have left the service. There are some tw*ts out there who expect their hands to be held all the way through life.

However i do agree that soldiers should be entitled to the same as civilian counterparts when i comes to council housing - this is not about being special as a soldier it is about fairness as a human and citizen of the UK.