Homeless former Gunner in London - your assistance please!

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by dropshortjock, Jun 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All,

Apologies if this is the wrong please to post this - and Mod's, please advise me if I should be approaching this in a different way.

4-6 weeks ago, I bumped into a chap in Sloane Square who said that he was a Commando Gunner who had left and fallen on hard times. I had a brew with him and he mentioned that, after 4 months on the streets, he had been offered a room in a flat and could start thinking about looking for work.

I then bumped into him again yesterday evening. To cut a long story short, he was screwed on the flat and was only there for around 3 days before being moved out and back onto the streets. In the time that I last saw him, his health has gone downhill and he is now looking a bit 'ragged', for want of a better word. Veterans Agency are, I understand, looking to house him from next week, and I have also emailed Stoll, the Royal Artillery Association & the Royal Marines Association to enquire about housing, healthcare and work. I have his service details and he was checked out by the Veterans Association around 6-8 weeks ago.

He is also a NVQL3 plaster and has been storing his tools and kit with the VA until such times that he can get back into work.

If there is anyone in the Sloane Sq/Chelsea.Victoria area, of anyone of any cap badge or Regiment that might be able to check up on him, get him a few brews or provide any sort of assistance until he is housed (or provide any more assistance on getting him housed or into work), that would be great.

I appreciate that I am not asking for anything specific here, but was keen to spread the word in the hope that he can get back on his feet again asap.

If anyone is interested, please PM me and I can provide further details.

Many thanks

2. Have you tried the RBL? I was under the impression that they have a "tried & tested" path for this kind of thing.
  3. I've looked at their website - the emails appear to be based around disability & pension claims but will drop them a line.
  4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

He needs Veterans Aid
    Veterans Aid ~ Caring for Veterans in crisis...Now!

and or SSAFA London Homeless Division