Homeless ex service personal

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by DieHard, Sep 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

A fair while ago i started a thread called homeless ex squaddies, well now i am fit enough to carry on i thought i would give you all a quick update of whats going on and ask for volunteers to help in any way they can.
    On friday 21 december through to the 22 december i have planned a sleep out on the streets of London to help raise awareness of the plight of ex service men and women who are homeless and to try and kick start all the political parties into doing something about it.
    A lot of you may not be aware that ex HM Forces are actively discriminated against when trying to get social housing from local authoraties on the basis that they have not lived in the area so why should they help, also on the assumption that they have not contributed to the community.
    Also not taken into account is the high number of cases of mental health issues from ptsd to mild depression, suffered by the ex serviceman/women, in a high proportion of cases it is why some are homeless and not able to adapt into the routine that is normal for civilians
    At the moment myself and five kids will be collecting in the west end for ssaffa to try and raise some money, we will also be giving away our sleeping bags and spare winter clothing, i have a friend with a burger van who will give out hot drinks and soup to the homeless free, we pay but the money goes into the bucket at the end.
    This is not a political event its just us helping to highlight the way these guys are treated, of course any publicity would help and i will be letting ITN,SKY and the BBC whats happening.
    There are a lot of things to be sorted out such as liasing with the met police and local council.
    Everyone is welcome and if you have spare winter clothing and doss bags then they would be more than welcome because it will be making an immediate impact for the homeless. If you want to attend either by sleeping out,collecting or just for moral support then please pm me or add a post to this thread, that way i can let the met know of our numbers.
    If there is anyone out there who can design and print some leaflets that would be appreciated and i will be asking the forces charities if they could supply helpline numbers on cards that we could hand out, as for myself i could do with a bit of help too so once again if interested pm me.
    I will now keep you informed on this thread that way i cant get the numbers mixed up from before, I hope we get a good turn out and hope to meet a lot of you there.
  2. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

just a quick one my Mrs spoke to shelter today to find out what proportion of the people they help are ex services. They will let up know sometime this week and are also interested in what we are trying to do
  3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

You may want to chat with these people mate.

But for gods sake don't read the bottom half of the page its ripped straight off of our colonial cousins!
  4. I have old doss bag with the gortext cover All in good nick and some warm (civi) clothing you can have.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PM sent forgot to mention Westminster CC were actively discouraging soup runs on the lead up to the olympics and trying to discourage rough sleepers, so don't expect much help from them
  6. I won't pretend to know a whole lot about this organisation, but I believe you may benefit from talking with Veterans Aid. Whilst attending AOSB Briefing the CSgt was collecting (quite literally on a daily basis from the same people at the bar) for this organisation and on the final night he explained the purpose and process that VA follow.

IIRC the quoted figures were 12% of homeless individuals are ex-servicemen. VA (from what we were told) guarantees that it will not keep an ex-forces individual on the streets, if they are made aware of them. Whilst they have relatively limited self-owned accommodation, they have agreements with various B&B's and hotels to temporarily house individuals until a room is available. This allows the individuals to get a fixed address and VA can then claim from the government to fund the food and living costs of supporting the individual until they are back on their feet. The CSgt actually found out about VA when he discovered that his Son had been secretly living on the streets, afraid to tell him that he'd struggled to cope after being made redundant.

They may be able to offer you some help with your planned actions or perhaps provide you with some contacts who can - VA

Good luck.
  7. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for all the info given and I will be contacting all charities for help and advice and replying to your pm,s soon. As for it being a contradiction of being non political, perhaps I should rephrase it as I want the political parties to notice that other people are doing what they should be doing.
    Westminster council can be difficult but that's where the charities come in by making more professional and I think an invite to the mayor of London to visit as a guest might help, this invite is not going to be in his official role but as a freeman. As I have said thanks for the offers so far and I will get back to you very soon
  8. Not only would that be great publicity but Boris could also be a fantastic source of free entertainment.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Just so you know - The ruling on homelessness states that if a person have lived in a borough for 6 months or greater, then that Local authority has a duty (where they have a duty) to re-house them. Soldiers don't discrminated against for this, what it means is that when you leave the forces, the local authority in which you lived BEFORE you joined has the duty. Soldiers are also classed as "priority need" for the first year after they leave the forces, meaning they HAVE to be put in a hostel etc and supported in to housing. Once a year has passed, they will be classed (By law) as a Non-priority. This means they (local authorities) have a duty to help, but not house. As for Mental health, a priority person with mental health problems must have long and enduring problems. In my knowledge, you'd need to be sectioned a couple of times to fall in the area.
  10. I'd be wary of believing th 12% of homeless are ex servicemen line.

Maybe 12% claim they're exforces but I suspect the amount of those with actual military service is much lower.

Sent from the thunder box on ARRSE app
    • Like Like x 2
  11. I've got an old sleeping bag? Probably some other stuff to donate? PM me pal.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Hi. If that is your understanding of "the ruling on homelessness", is that how the revised rules are CURRENTLY being interpreted in your local area? I accept the rules can be quite complex.

One obvious difficulty is that some ex-service may have no real remaining connection with the area where they joined from.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE
  13. Yes - It's supposed to be set by the Govt. For example, there's a lad who we helped about a year ago. A while later he moved in with a girl in the next county / local authority, he lived with her for 11 months, then comes back to us saying he's homeless. He was told that he needed to go back to the local authority he'd just come from, as they had the duty. I can understand the Westminster council might have a slightly different ruling, due to the amount of rough sleepers that end up in their area as they cover the West end, but they would have to have something else in place. You can set to local authorities up against each other, failing that its Shelter, local authorities shit themselves when Shelter get on the blower over housing.

I do understand that many soldiers don't always have a connection to their home town when leaving, even more so after 22 years, bu that is the ruling. Maybe its made so that local authorities with Garrison towns don't become flooded with the amount of homeless when soldeirs leave, there's always soldiers posted abroad to take in to account.

The main issue is that if you are a single person (Male / female / asylum seeker) the council has no duty to put you in to a hostel or re-house you. They have to help you, that's it.

And to be honest, I'm a bit with Crow Bag - I've worked with around 300-400 homeless over the last few years and maybe only 15-20 of them were ex forces, sadly all but one were alcoholics and the one was an ex alcoholic.
  14. I'd agree but that's the only figure I was quoted and I'd rather not make my own assumptions on an area I'm clueless on.

The problem that was highlighted by the CSgt at Briefing was that the majority of those who are genuinely ex-forces have a sense of pride that prevents them from asking for help and that most were only discovered on the streets by family at a later date. I don't know how true this is but I can see the logic behind it.
  15. You'd be surprised at how many folk are living in hostels, yet won't go to a "Soup kitchen" to eat, when they have no food or money. I think even in the world of being homeless, there's still a degree of social status that they see in that community.