Homeless ex Para ? or Walt ?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Goatman, Jul 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

The Guardian did a piece on homeless ex Service people back in May and this guy's profile was part of it.

http://society.guardian.co.uk/homelessness/story/0,8150,1475533,00.html

Booty's post in the PTSD sticky on Charities & Welfare refers.

I don't mean to be arrsefaced about this.... but any Para who served in Iraq recognise this guy ? They can't have taken too many cas like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------

DAMIEN MASON, 22.
    "I was in the Parachute Regiment in Iraq when I was shot. A bullet took my right temple lobe away, and I've got shrapnel in my back. I went to a military rehabilitation centre. We did physiotherapy, group therapy, and occupational therapy. You had counselling sessions, but it was not like a civvy street counselling walk-in centre. They kept going on about anger all the time. 'Are you angry?' they kept asking. I was like: 'No, I don't want to see you any more.' At the end of the day, of course, I was angry and I felt they were trying to wind me up all the time. I got a bottle of whisky and a handwritten note from Prince Charles. No one from the government contacted me. I don't receive much counselling now. I've been to one or two sessions on the NHS, but they can't really see where I'm coming from. They don't get many people go there with gunshot wounds."

--------------------------------------

The reason I ask is because I'm slightly involved with the Ex Services Mental Welfare Society (Combat Stress) and if this guy is gen then he sounds absolutely as if he should be put in touch with their regional office.

Thanks all,

G'Man

2. I'd give him the Combat Stress details, then he can contact them if he wishes and if he's ex Mil.

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

yeah, fair point.....but if he's ex Airborne isn't this what the Regimental Association is all about anyway ? Surely any ex Para who'd been invalided out could look to them for help ?

( or is this a naive and simplistic view of Regimental associations.....)

4. Sometimes it can be hard to go to your Regi Assoc for help, it can be hard and a bit of a loss of face to admit you can't sort your own problems.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. If he isn't ex-para but say's he is, telling airborne associations about him may not be the most helpful thing to do! :D

6. very true. Sad fact is that many guys regardless of cap badge still have pride and feel that to ask for help would be a sign of weakness.
    This guy is gen. for more int go here

http://www.stuartgriffiths.net

7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I can promise you that this guy's injuries and service are genuine. Happy to PM if anyone is interested, but would rather not open post.

8. First reaction to any of these lads should be sympathy and a good scrub as to how they can be helped. Not sure accusing these fellers of being walts is massively heplful - at the end of the day they're on the streets because their lives have fallen apart.

Visited Belvedere House a few times in my last job...heartbreaking. A sympathetic ear from their erstwhire brothers in arms is the least we can all do.

9. Personaly I dont thin k we should be pissing about with live 8 until our own admin is sorted out

Dave

10. I agree with you devlishdave.

ex squaddy on streets = no -one cares

asylum seeker = free flat and benefits

What a load of shoite.

11. Not sure about that one but:

KEITH TYRER, 30 something.
    "I was born in Chelmsford, Essex. I joined the Royal Artillery. I trained at Colchester and Aldershot in 1992, and left the forces in 1996 because I was medically discharged. I really felt gutted about that. I saw action at the back end of the Gulf war in 1992, and I served in Bosnia and Kosovo, where I was shot. After discharge I travelled around and ended up on the streets. I had little money from ex-forces charities, such as SSAFA Forces Help. I ain't into settling down just yet."

UK plc didn't set up shop in Kosovo 'til '99 (unless I'm being really daft).

Walt or UCK mercenary?

Thoughts?

12. Not sure about that one but:

"I was born in Chelmsford, Essex. I joined the Royal Artillery. I trained at Colchester and Aldershot in 1992, and left the forces in 1996 because I was medically discharged. I really felt gutted about that. I saw action at the back end of the Gulf war in 1992, and I served in Bosnia and Kosovo, where I was shot. After discharge I travelled around and ended up on the streets. I had little money from ex-forces charities, such as SSAFA Forces Help. I ain't into settling down just yet."

Walt or UCK mercenary?

Thoughts?

13. Not sure about that one but:

Walt or UCK mercenary?

Thoughts?

14. Don't know about them, but good to see Griff (the bloke who did the article) again, I joined up with him in JPC in 1988.

15. He was one of the QRF guys who was shot in the chinnook as it flew in to help the para patrol at Majar-al-Kabir.