Homeland Defence Force, what is?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by PartTimePongo, Jun 26, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just got a big stack o' bumpf last night, concerning the HDF, and volunteering and suchlike. Has anyone else (outside my unit, SupershotSingingGirlie) had one of these?

Any comments or obbo's on the paper?  ???

2. I got one, filled it out yes to every question as yes I would be willing(Born voluteer) but on the back page gave a warning that unless they invest in better training the first deployment of HDF would be a monumental fiasco.
    I expect it got to some bigwigs desk and accidentally fell in the fu(kin bin because is was rather stern!
    So I'll repeat my comments here cause this can't be lost or mislaid. Start giving us a decent ammount of man training days or else I for one am going to fu(k off.
    And to those who sit there and tut and say I have a bad attitude, I never used too! It has taken 8 years of consistently reducing the standard of training to get like this so shove your head up your high horses arrse.
    To coin a phase PAY PEANUTS GET MONKEYS just look at the House of Commons....I rest my case!!

P.S. Did you notice it says "the next phase of SDR" does that mean we are going to right royally fu(ked again??
    P.P.S. Excuse my language....sore subject!

3. Hang on Vermin,got it onme desk,let me make a brew,then attack this in depth :D

4. IT DONT MATTER HOW HMG DRESS IT UP, FTRS, MOBALIZATION, HOMELAND DEFENCE FORCE, IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO NOT ENOUGH TROOPS TO COVER ALL COMMITMENTS. YES THE TA HAS A ROLE IT ALWAYS HAS HAD, A READY RESERVE OF MEN FOR A NATIONAL EMERGENCY. IF HMG WANT TO MAKE USE OF THE TA THEN THEY SHOULD SPEND MONEY ON TRAINING. HOW MANY UNITS ARE PROPED UP BY SNCOS OR OLDER NCOS WHILE THE YONGER END OF THE UNIT ARE INADIQUATLY TRAINED.

DOES THIS REMIND ANYONE OF THE FRAISE ''TWO UP BAGS OF SMOKE WE'LL BE OK''

5. So I'm off to an SDR Homeland Defence TA Consulation meeting this weekend. Apparently the aim is to canvas the views of TA personnel (all ranks although it appears to be all officers going) in respect of HD. The unofficial view within my Regt is that this is a bit like shutting the stable door once the equine has departed.

I have a mountain of documentation to go through prior to the meeting (what a great Fri night) so I'm not yet totally sure of the scope and outcome.

For those that are interested I shall post again once I have returned.

6. So what's the gen Jelly_Baby?

PtP

7. I did get the impression that the views of the TA were being considered and listened to.

There was no new information given that hadn’t already been distributed.

The main points raised:
    ·      Generally a well received idea.
    ·      Would raise the profile of the TA.
    ·      A lot of work needs to be done with employers so that they understand the role and commitment. (But this is something that applies to the TA anyway irrespective of HD).
    ·      The value that NELC adds to anything is questionable.
    ·      2+5 extra MTDs is not enough.
    ·      Clarification on what additional equipment would be available required.
    ·      More information required on the definitions and scope for any call-in (floods, industrial accidents, terrorist attacks).
    ·      The communication system (Mould replacement) needs to be sorted. (If the blue light services can’t agree on a common communication system what hope is there when the MOD shoves its oar in).
    ·      The Reaction Force needs to be based on current unit formations.
    ·      If each Reaction Force of 500 is required how many TA personnel are needed on paper (suggest c.1500)?

Overall the consensus was that it is a good idea but like all these things the devil is in the details. If His Tonyness and Co. doesn’t get the employers on side then woe betide the first time that this is called in to play.

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I seem to have responded to this earlier in another thread - just losing it, I suppose.  To repeat myself a bit, from the fastnesses of the Mystery of Defence, I can safely (and entirely unofficially) say that this appears to be exactly the mimimum neccesary to keep the press and public quiet.  At absolute minimum cost, of course.  Also, 500 Pers per Bde is pretty much everyone, certainly down here in the 2Bde area (SE England).  Finally, think of a KP Guard - but without guns.  If anyone thinks that any Chief Constable will allow armed soldiers on the street in Britain then think again, they wouldn't even if Osama himself landed at Gatwick.

9. ACF my tip

10. this appears to be exactly the mimimum neccesary to keep the press and public quiet.  At absolute minimum cost, of course.

If I read your last correctly Old Snowy, it appears as if the TA are about to get shafted again in the next SDR?

"Yes we are cutting our reserves, but what is left, will be leaner, meaner, better trained and funded, for the very responsible job of ensuring Britain's defence from aggressors"

F**k me, now where did i hear that before?

I utterly agree with your point, letting armed squaddies on to the street, would be an admission from a Chief Constable, that he is not in control of his grid, and a fast track to retirement.

Oh well, when's the next SDR announcement?

PtP

11. Expand the regulars then, at least they are ready for everything

12. How do you propose to do that Wynn?
    I believe that is the problem, that has perplexed the minds of men far in advance of my pay scale, for a very long time.

Short of paying them a lot more, than they can earn in civvy street, making their terms of service shorter, and ensuring they leave the army with a skill that an employer would want to snap up, I don't see how.

Unless you're suggesting conscription?

13. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

I think Wynne riases a good point, The US national guard units have been all over US airports since 9/11 and I asked a mate of mine who even tho he is ex BRIT REG is a member of his local unit and does considerably more than his bit, just how is it done over there.
    There is a more patriotic air in the US but you can't get people to do reserve time without pay, there is a federal law which states the companies must continue to pay NG when they are called up(my mate 7 days per month) but not if they volunteer for posts(FTRS?) in return for this comopanies get generous tax breaks, it follows that companies like tax breaks+like reservist/ng staff. How about that then, Or expand the regulars!

14. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I am still dubious.  Straw poll in our Unit made it plain that most would volunteer if jobs were secure, but the whole point of this idea is that they are at short notice to move.  In other words, no compulsory call-out, so no cover under the RFA.

Still, wait 'til the Spending Review is completed.  I bet that nice Mr Brown will give us blooming great piles of cash to pay for all this...

15. I undestand that the idea is that TA personnel would indicate their willingness (and availability) to be 'volunteered' for upto 36hours. After that call-up would be done as per RFA.

This still doesn't address the main issue of employers releasing their staff irresepctive of RFA. I wonder how many court cases/industrial tribunals the MOD would be prepared to fight in the case of employees returning from a call-up only to fing their jobs (or equivalent position) no longer exist. The interest of employers in the Armed Forces either at home or abroad is, I would suggest, at an all time low.

The Gov needs to get a grip if they mean to do this seriously. But there, I suspect, may be the crux of the matter.