Homecoming Parades for Service Personnel

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ukdaytona, Sep 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst this has been covered in many of the media, the Telegraph seems to be a dog with a bone holding surveys etc....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/26/narmy126.xml#form

The above link has many contributions from individuals but I have picked 4 below. Anyone fancy a trip to Derby after reading these???

I didn't ask them to join the armed forces, they chose to. I didn't ask them to go and risk their lives by invading either Iraq or Afganistan, the political liars running this sham of a country chose that. I didn't ask the armed forces to waste millions of pounds of tax payers money, that was the politicans again. And I won't welcome them back again. If they don't like it, go and get proper jobs.
    Posted by Chris, Derby on September 26, 2007 12:16 PM

After 6 months of living in some s***hole, risking my neck to protect some worthless locals who have no desire but to kill me, to then have to dress up and parade through town to be abused by the scum (homegrown and imported) who live in this country would, frankly, be nothing less than unwelcome, If the council wants to do something for me they can ensure the aforementioned scum don't mug my wife in my absence. By the way, Micheal Nightingale, 10:01, can you explain just how exactly you think our troops are "responsible for the deaths of thousands?" Idiot.
    Posted by GP on September 26, 2007 12:12 PM

Excuse me, I do not expect to have to take part in some home coming parade to celebrate our troops brave illegal invasions for oil, to secure the safety of Israel, and to expand our military bases in regions of political significance. I never wanted our troops to go out in the first place and would never support a home coming. The troops do not have my support and they are certain not out in these various silly and horrendously expensive missions in my name. We are being lied to about troop deaths too. The US only report deaths of those who die there and then. Any soldier who makes it as far as a helicopter and beyond and then dies does not have their death counted. The US in particular has probably suffered around 73,000 fatalities. Sorry - but this whole idea of parades is just further propaganda and helps further the national delusions that these are somehow valiant crusades when they are clearly not. We could have had Bin Laden captured in October 2001, but the British generals were told to let him go. He has since probably died but we get these fake videos of him produced just to fool the masses into thinking there is somehow a valid reason for being out there.

Sorry - none of this is in my name so count me out when you refer to "The British People"
    Posted by Simon Robinson on September 26, 2007 12:08 PM

Some of the disgusting attitudes shown by those contributing negative comments in this column show their tiny mindedness in respect of the UK's military obligations throughout the world. It is ONLY a strong and active military that guarantees our freedom.
    If their is one thing we need to learn from the United States, it is that patriotism, national pride, and support of those who serve, should be foremost in peoples minds in times of war and conflict abroad.
    Posted by J Leslie Crawford on September 26, 2007 11:53 AM

2. This from Boris Johnson.....

It's embarrassment, isn't it? That's the only explanation. It's good old-fashioned British horror of anything that might provoke any kind of controversy, any public display of untoward emotion.

That's why the local authorities of this country have displayed such glacial indifference to the 13,000 servicemen returning this autumn – hundreds of them grievously injured – from the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/09/27/do2701.xml

Wonder if (when he becomes London Mayor) he will allow welcome home parades???

3. i'd like to meet that Chris from Derby one night down a dark alley, somewhere where noone can hear his screams for mercy.

4. One comment on there highlights my major gripe of the anti war protest prior to TELIC

'Not in my name' I'm not doing it in your name you civvy chav f*ckwit, I do my job for my mates, family and Unit of whoms boots are not worthy to lick so f*cking do one you f*cking waste of space! :evil:

Okay, i'm done now 8)

5. its sad, very sad

they seem to miss the point
    the point is not whether these baffoons agree politically with anything,
    it is whether or not our boys deserve a wee bit of respect when they come home.

It just seems that people are too caught up in themselves to care.
    But point out the failings, and seek blood, when reality strikes home ala 7/7.

6. Fair play to Rushmoor Borough Council here in Aldershot, they've placed quite a few banners and signs on the main roads around the Garrison saying 'Aldershot welcomes home the Grenadier Guards'. I know it's not a lot but it's a damn sight more than a lot of Bns have been getting on their return home to whatever Garrison they've returned to.

I may be wrong though but I've not seen it anywhere else so far.

7. Terrible thing to say but I sometimes think the only way to educate these fucktards is to allow the Red Forces to kill a couple of hundred civvies. I know it's a bit extreme but blood on the streets will make people realise what is or isn't being done in their name.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I thought the normal reaction was Oh Feck we thought you had gone for good!

9. On the upside, some of my local press (Ipswich, Clacton and (as you may expect!) Colchester) have carried prominent and positive articles on this subject.

The Poachers have 2 Freedom parades on their return, 1 in Norwich and 1 in Bury St Edmunds, though these have been in the diary for some time.

It'll be interesting to see what the nature of their reception is-Norwich has a strong Liberal/Green Party clique on the City Council.

10. Funnily enough I saw the CO of the Grens this morning in Aldershot, recognised him from the programme thats recently been on ITV, should have shook his hand and welcomed him back really. Don't suppose many other people in the Wellington Centre recognised him though.

11. Truly sickening and disgusting views being aired there by some people who should hang their heads in shame :x :roll:

I'd like to meet that cowardly kn*b "Chris from Deby" too- all brave hiding behind his anonyminity, he epitomises the "me, me, me" attitude that is sadly prevalent in our society nowadays :x :x

I've got friends being treated in Selly Oak from injuries sustained in Helmand and comments like that make my blood boil!!!! :x :roll:

12. Why do the people still blame soldiers for the actions of politicians? It's been said before (but I'll say it again anyway) it's like blaming the police for crime.

Only Arrse keeps me sane.

13. Rodger that 13th Duke!

After you have finished with the Derby based scum I would also like to be involved in his re education and new found love of HM forces.

I would however like to add that those "rent a mob" types such as Scum of Derby are not representative - there are plenty that do care and are supportive, we found that out on OP NIMBY. It's just that the "rent a mob" types have to rant to justify their existance. One day they will realise that we serve in Iraq and the Stan to preserve that right.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

But Chris from derby isnt slating the troops, he is slating the Politicians, He said that you have wasted money as an army because the crooked politicians sent you!
    The reason he is free to say this is because of hard working people like you who in the past and hopefully in the future will stand up and be counted!
    Personally I dont think either war should have been waged in my name as UK taxpayer PLC but That Does Not Stop Me Supporting You and those that will follow!

15. Yes he is:

I didn't ask them to join the armed forces, they chose to. I didn't ask them to go and risk their lives by invading either Iraq or Afganistan, the political liars running this sham of a country chose that. I didn't ask the armed forces to waste millions of pounds of tax payers money, that was the politicans again. And I won't welcome them back again. If they don't like it, go and get proper jobs.
    Posted by Chris, Derby on September 26, 2007 12:16 PM