Homecoming parade for Iraq troops

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ukdaytona, Dec 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hundreds of soldiers will be given a heroes' welcome as they march through Cardiff city centre to mark their return home from Iraq.
    About 450 soldiers from the 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh will take part in the parade before a medal presentation at the Millennium Stadium.

The homecoming parade celebrates the end of their tour of duty in Iraq.

Three soldiers from the regiment who lost their lives will also be remembered at the ceremony on Tuesday.

The public are being encouraged to attend the event, which is being funded by the Welsh Assembly Government.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7137006.stm

2. Also : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/7137924.stm

More than 500 officers and soldiers from the 4th Battalion The Rifles are to march through Salisbury.
    The soldiers, who are based at Bulford Camp, Wiltshire, were invited to the city by the Mayor following their return from Iraq in November.

They had been on deployment for six months and lost five men during their tour of duty.

The soldiers are due to march from the Cathedral Close to the Guildhall from 1125 GMT.

Brigadier James Bashall said the march would mean a great deal to the soldiers to see that they were valued by the nation and appreciated.

"For people to turn out and cheer and clap would mean a huge amount for them," he said.

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Outstanding news. I hope the lads are suitably well applauded by the people of those towns. I KNOW that, despite the antics of this gobment, our armed forces are just as much in the hearts and minds of our communities now as any time in the past.

4. Cut n paste please chaps no BBC here or at least post dates

5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

York to

HUNDREDS of medical troops returning from peace support operations in Iraq will be marching through York city centre tomorrow.

A 300-strong group of officers and soldiers from the UK Medical Group, of 34 Field Hospital, based in Strensall, near York, will parade from Museum Gardens at 2pm.

They will march along Coney Street and finish at All Saints' Church, Pavement.

advertisement
    As they pass the Mansion House, a salute will be taken by the Lord Mayor of York, Coun Irene Waudby, the Sheriff of York, Councillor Keith Hyman, and military dignitaries.

6. IN FULL (Sorry its late, only just seen your request)

Homecoming parade for Iraq troops

A convoy of Royal Welsh vehicles leave their Basra base
    Hundreds of soldiers will be given a heroes' welcome as they march through Cardiff city centre to mark their return home from Iraq.
    About 450 soldiers from the 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh will take part in the parade before a medal presentation at the Millennium Stadium.

The homecoming parade celebrates the end of their tour of duty in Iraq.

Three soldiers from the regiment who lost their lives will also be remembered at the ceremony on Tuesday.

The public are being encouraged to attend the event, which is being funded by the Welsh Assembly Government.

The soldiers, led by the Lucknow Band of the Prince of Wales Division and a Warrior armoured tracked vehicle, will march from Cardiff Castle at 1000 GMT, along St Mary Street to the Millennium Stadium for 1100 GMT.

People are putting their lives on the line to protect us and our freedom and I think it's important for people to come along and show their support

Ospreys rugby star Ian Evans, whose sister served in Iraq

In front of their families, friends and members of the public, they will be presented with their Iraq medals before enjoying a lunch party on the pitch.

Commanding officer Lt Colonel James Swift said: "We are very lucky to be able to mark our return to Wales in such style and pay a fitting tribute to our fallen comrades."

Three members of the battalion who lost their lives in Iraq - Cpl Paul Joszko, L/Cpl Ryan Francis and Pte Craig Barber - will be honoured at the ceremony.

Two other soldiers who died in Iraq while attached to the Royal Welsh from The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland - Pte Jamie Kerr and Pte Scott Kennedy - will also be remembered.

Ospreys rugby player Ian Evans, whose sister Lisa has recently returned home from Iraq, welcomed the parade.

"People are putting their lives on the line to protect us and our freedom and I think it's important for people to come along and show their support to the armed forces and the people still serving out there," he said.

The parade comes after Gen Sir Richard Dannatt, the head of the Army, said in September he was concerned that the work carried out by troops was not being acknowledged.

The 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh, which is based in Lucknow Barracks, Tidworth, in Wiltshire, recruits from the whole of Wales.

Anyone who wants to attend the event should enter the stadium at Gate 2 for the parade and medal ceremony at 1100 GMT.

7. Looks like a clear day for it, hopefully a good turnout.

8. Croeso! a gorffwysed mewn heddwch ein pump arwrol dynion.

9. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I was surprised by the Beeb radio saying the parade was for the 2nd Bn Welsh Guards!
    Can't they get anything right?

10. I marched in that parade today!

As a REME attached soldier in one of the companies of the welsh.
    To hear the crowd bought a lump to the throat.
    To have a stranger walk up to me and give their thanks, brought a lump to my throat.
    At the end of the day with the Welsh I stood, everyman I knew was in my brotherhood.

Pass the 30 mill socket and ratchet and you're done............

11. Have been that 'stranger' in the past e.g. with old timers wearing certain berets, and wasn't sure if a simple 'thanks for what you did' was appropriate.

Good to know.....

12. It was exactly the right sentiment, no flowery rhetoric needed, a short honest sentiment speaks more than any long winded speech

13. i'm from salisbury and i'm currently applying for the army. so on monday i was pleading with my boss to let me support the homecoming march the following day, however i left work on mon with not much hope, and very angry infact, with seemingly lack of support you all deserve.

i then arrive on the tues morning and there was an e-mail circled round the office that stated 'due to the persist annoyance and passion of one of your colleges, you will all have time off to support the 4th rifles at 11:30', result.

so the half office were there on the streets cheering you guys on. you all have done and are doing a great job and i just wish it was more widely regonized.

on tues morning it dawned on me of how much i am proud to be british, proud to be from salisbury, because i thought as a city we showed a good amount of support which you guys richly deserve and i was proud most of all of the british army.

unfortunatly i'm currently waiting for a knee op that has put my selection process on hold, however seeing you all march, through my city on tues morning has fuelled the fire in my belly even more to join the best army in the world.

well done all of you!

14. i was in there aswell

i know what you mean.. i had shivers down my spine marching through.