Homecoming Marches, Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Fallschirmjager, Jul 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are your views on homecoming marches?

We didn't have one after Herrick 4 thank god, though a Company has been dicked to march through Colchester soon with other elements of 16AA Bde after Herrick 8 (though 8 months later!).
    Myself, I think it's a little cheesy. It's like 'Look at us! Look what we've done in Afghan!'. I just feel we've done what we get paid to do over there and that's it. I don't want recognition and neither does anyone I talk to. I could understand a one off war like the Falklands having a parade but they didn't have them after NI tours in the seventies.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. I'm not against them, I just feel we're doing no more then what we're paid to do.

2. A pain in the arse for all involved - but probably worth several new recruits and a bit of local goodwill.

At least the lads seem to be marching in combats and aren't wasting days bulling up their boots and pressing NO2s.

I can think of a few bloody minded cnuts in the CoC who would have had lads bulling up ammo boots on the flight home and pressing kit in an airport hanger for the sake of a parade throught the local town centre....

Hopefully that kind of mindset doesn't exist anymore.

3. I think we couldn't have them after NI for the same reasons that squaddies couldn't leave camp in uniform in those days, because you could be dicked by the provos & potentially become a target. Imagine announcing a whole coy could be marching throgh a town, Provo Paradise methinks.

Whilst there's a slight bit of cheese about it, I think it's good in that as a kid in the 80's I never saw a soldier once, my idea of a soldier was the blokes in war movies, but todays children get to see what we look like. It will give the next generation a more supportive view of the armed forces IMO cos they'll see where like thier dad/uncle/brother & not some septic in a movie saving the world in a one man show.

I'm in favour of the marches, the giving of op medals on parade for me is another subject! Throw it over the clerks desk at me & say "sign here" please.

4. For local TA units they give a bit of pride back and raise the profile. For some serving soldiers its also saying "see we are still here", and yes its the job we do, but I feel we need all the publicity and support we can get. It even shows to those who are not "in favour" of us, what we do and that we will not hide away from them.

5. I believe they are worth it for two very good reasons, firstly they allow the civvies to say "Thank you" and secondly (But more importantly) seeing the public support the military is like a dagger through the heart of cyclops and his corrupt IRA loving, marxist cronies.

6. All in favour of them.
    In days long gone by the public used to see local Regiments/ Battlions regularly, in the modern age the army is a little less visible on the high street.
    The vast majority of the public in this country has great pride in and respect for the UK's armed forces. Raising the local high street profile of the Army can only be a good thing. Can't hurt recruitment either.

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well said.

Personally, I'd be very happy to be able to stand at the side of the road giving a loud round of applause as they march past. I'd consider it the very least I could do to show my appreciation of their sacrifice.

I beleive that there's a hell of a lot of civvies and ex-serving people who'd like the opportunity to do the same.

How often is public support questioned on ARRSE? Well, there's one clear way to demonstrate it.

8. I would imagine the PR value to MOD is priceless at the moment. It also sticks a couple of fingers up to the Taliban, in that we are not going over there then skulking back home.

As I said its a valuble PR tool, and I'm sure as much overseas coverage is garnered as possible.

Though I am not trying to insult any of our forces that have taken part in them, but in todays world, there is always the ulterior motive to think of.

9. From a civvy point of view, as has been said oop theer ^^ its nice to have the chance to show appreciation and pride. surely anything which raises the profile and pride especially in the local regiments can't be bad....although i can see how it'd be a bit of a pain for the marchees! Don't they get free beer or something to sweeten the pill?

10. Nothing, but the attacks on British cities & towns streets were much prevolant during the years of the IRA being active (uses the word "active" loosely).

11. Because anyone with a daysack (even one not smelling vaguely of chapati flour and hair bleach) would stand out like a particularly distinctive thing in Dayglo at that sort of gathering, and would probably find life very nasty, brutish and short.

12. Nothing stops these balloonheads going into a squaddie bar and doing the same.
    To not have a parade because the army is worried about some knobber isn't a good enough excuse.

13. we had a homecoming parade after POTL. The march through colly on Friday is a freedom of the city parade

14. Good.

Yes it's a bit of PR and probably helps recruitment, and a bit of a positive spin instead of all the bad news about deaths and injuries, but it probably also really helps the families and relatives of those serving and shows the guys coming home that they do have recognition of what they have to do.

I don't think you can compare to NI that was politically a different situation and more sensitive, not the full out war that's being raged in Afghanistan.

I'd happily turn up at a parade - I'd like to (as an amateur photographer I'd love to get some images of the parades) but no, they never seem to be announced in advance so I guess its families or members of the public who just happen to be there that see them. Maybe its a security issue but if you are going to have a parade I reckon let the public know about it, do it on a weekend and let the wider public have the opportunity to show their support.

RIP all the lads who fell recently

15. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I think you only have to look at the size of the crowds who turn out, usually on a working day, to watch the parades and show their appreciation.

I know that most would prefer to be in the pub sinking a few beers, but these are, again usually, normal working days when the guys coukld be doing anything from training to area clean.

I defy any squaddie not to put the shoulders back, head up, when they hear the pipes and they know it is for them.