Homecare insurance

I've just had my British Gas Homecare quote for renewal arrive with a cheeky 40% jump in premium.

Plenty of other suppliers out there of course but will they come up with the goods when the boiler packs up on a cold January night?

Any recommendations to avoid or approvals.

Many thanks.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
British Gas are in fact French owned, we gave up with them as every time they visited the engineer told us spares are no longer available for the boiler, rather odd as being a German boiler spares are readily obtainable
find a good local plumber and heating engineer, and stick some money in a fund
we had some major part of our boiler replaced last year about 700 pounds but the plumber said that will give it ten more years
Modern Condensing boilers however have a relatively short life, and the gas board charges for installing a new one are way over the top, lots of little extras added in
cancel the premium then try for a new quote ?
or save some dosh and buy a new boiler
learn how to expel air from a radiator and to fill the loop up
not much else to worry about
yearly service from a local plumber at a fixed price should sort most things out

British Gas are in fact French owned, we gave up with them as every time they visited the engineer told us spares are no longer available for the boiler, rather odd as being a German boiler spares are readily obtainable
find a good local plumber and heating engineer, and stick some money in a fund
we had some major part of our boiler replaced last year about 700 pounds but the plumber said that will give it ten more years
Modern Condensing boilers however have a relatively short life, and the gas board charges for installing a new one are way over the top, lots of little extras added in
cancel the premium then try for a new quote ?
or save some dosh and buy a new boiler
learn how to expel air from a radiator and to fill the loop up
not much else to worry about
yearly service from a local plumber at a fixed price should sort most things out

Plus 1 for that.

. . . even down to my local Gas Safe engineer/plumber popping around after his normal day to purge and refill the loop after a general water shut down.

This artisan gets all my plumbing work and is keen (obvs) to maintain his local customer base.

. . . oh, and the 'work' above was at no charge as a goodwill gesture.

Tuffty

War Hero
Just changed mine to 24/7 Home Rescue they offer all the same benefits as Home Serve but are 1/2 the price

I've just had my British Gas Homecare quote for renewal arrive with a cheeky 40% jump in premium.

Plenty of other suppliers out there of course but will they come up with the goods when the boiler packs up on a cold January night?

Any recommendations to avoid or approvals.

Many thanks.
We have British Gas. Initially, we took out the introductory offer (good price plus cash back) in my name and then, at the end of year one, we got the dopey renewal quote.

Phoned British Gas and told them not to auto-renew, far too dear so going elsewhere and no, I wasn’t interested in seeing what they could do to get the price down. You had the chance to quote me a fair price, bye bye.

Last day of cover, we took out an introductory offer with British Gas in the wife’s name. More or less the same deal as year one’s offer. Next renewal we will do the same as it seems British Gas maintain their customer database by name rather than by address.

If it doesn’t work next time, nothing lost - we just go elsewhere.

Latest Threads