Homebrew Thread

Mead it is, for me. Just need some more kit. I've never used an airlock on my barrels, trusting to pressure differentials - but on a gallon jar I think I'll need one. Nor have I everr been too much bothered with specific gravities, which have been spotterish to me (basic arrogance shining through here).

We'll see - lots of videos and written instruction later - if it's better than my pilsner I'll be content.

If you are producing at 98%ABV your are vacuum distilling. Producing grain neutral, most produce at between 94 and 95%ABV due to alcohol being azeotropic at this strength. ;)
I spent a year as an Excise officer at a well-known gin distillery: the goal for their neutral spirit was 96.4%.

dontenn

War Hero
If you are producing at 98%ABV your are vacuum distilling. Producing grain neutral, most produce at between 94 and 95%ABV due to alcohol being azeotropic at this strength. ;)
I misread my still details. Its 93% i did not intend to bullshit.

I'm bottling a Festival Landlord kit this afternoon. Been clearing in the barrel at 8C for three weeks. I'll secondary prime, leave for a couple of hours then bottle. Most of it is going in a box and away for later in the autumn. I've got another Best Bitter kit to go on after that.

I spent a year as an Excise officer at a well-known gin distillery: the goal for their neutral spirit was 96.4%.
96.4% ABV is azeotropic at average humidity. As I said, you can pull at higher percentages, but as soon as it is exposed to the atmosphere the alcohol will absorb moisture. Anything over 94% ABV is a reasonably good GNS and certainly good enough for gin which will be watered down to 40% ABV before being re-distilled with botanicals.

As a matter of interest dontenn, did you build your toy or buy it? There are some cracking reflux still designs out there for those that make small quantities and they are all easy builds.

dontenn

War Hero
I bought it ready to use

Turbo 500 Still

Turbo 500 Still

The ultimate still in home distilling, the Turbo 500 is a must for anyone who wants to produce large quantities of extremely clean, pure alcohol. The Turbo 500 allows you to collect an astonishing 95% of the possible alcohol from the wash. This comes out at an amazing 93% alcohol purity which beats every other still on the market.
High-quality alcohol made with the Turbo 500 can be used to make high quality, commercial-grade, clear spirits such as Gin, White Rum and Vodka as well as any of the other spirits and liqueurs in the Still Spirits Flavouring range.
Designed and assembled in New Zealand, the world's most advanced fractionating column for home use. It includes Stainless Steel Construction, faucet adaptor for ease of water flow adjustment, 25 L boiler with a 2000W (1600W for US/CA Units) integrated element, boil dry reset, thermal cut out fuse and waste discharge tap.
NOTE: The T500 Boiler and Condenser are sold separately. Condensers come in both stainless steel and copper

I wouldn't have thought distillation under vacuum would make much difference to the ethanol-water azeotrope?

The 'textbook' answers to 100% ethanol are usually passing the azeotropic distillate over a water absorbing substance or redistilling with a more hygroscopic substance like sulfuric acid added to the distillate. Not that there's much point outside of lab use as you pointed out as dry ethanol will start pulling water out of the atmosphere once opened anyway.

To be honest, making GNS or SNS 94% ABV is as good as you need and certainly much better than some commercial distillation.
Interesting that you went commercial dontenn, for many hobbyists, half the fun is making the equipment that they use.

Latest Threads