Homebrew Thread

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by fltpilot, Apr 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As others have said lets have a Homebrew Thread, so here it is!!

Used to do homebrew about 15yrs ago but not since.
    Do Boots still do brew kits?

If not where's the best place to buy from, either in Surrey/Sussex or SW London or Online?
  2. Boots? No. Larger Tesco, some Wilkinsons. Local Craft-brewing shops, and, of course, the Interwebnetwork.
  3. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Is a (sotto voce) shed warm enough for brewing
  4. If it's warm enough for drinking in, it's warming enough for brewing in.
  5. Wilkinsons do a decent wine kit, 30 bottles kit ready to drink in 7 days if desperate.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Less than two hours old and we're looking at splitting into sub-threads already.
  7. If you haven't been near home brewing for a good few years then you are in for a very pleasant surprise - it's all come on in leaps and bounds and the days of getting hallucagenically pissed on some ghastly overly sweet liquid and then scouring like a newborn lamb for three days are over.The new brew kits are absolutely spot on and, of course, Google and Ebay are your friends.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Start with good quality kits like Brupaks or Woodfordes. These need very little in the way of equipment, a FV and a keg (or bottles), a bit of syphon tube, a hydrometer. About 50p a pint.

Move on to extract brewing. A bit more kit. A bit cheaper.

Move to the dark side and all grain brewing. More kit, but about 22p a pint and better than most beers sold commercially.

Look at a well-established site like jimsbeerkit for guidance.

Would be nice to have an in-house thread, too.

PS brewing since 1974, no beard, no sandals, still a 32" waist, last marathon a disappointingly pedestrian 3:09, a personal worst out of 28.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. My Uncle George's Parsnip wine was fantastic. My eldest brother used to make rosehip, potato, elderberry and blackberry wines.
  10. Great thread! Well worth watching for the tips :)
    I've been using this recipe for years and make some shockingly strong ginger beer!
  11. OMG dont talk about home brew......I did a few kits of home brew in the early 90's...first couple were average...however the last one i did was wild.... my brother and his partner at the time and my BF had three bottles of the stuff one night..was ok.. nothing great but drinkable....after enjoying the chat for a couple of hours and two of the bottles downed, i decided to go to the loo...i stood up and my legs were pissed could not walk to save my life....as the others laughed their heads off...I crawled to the loo and back again...at this point was called a light weight..much to my humour everyone else had pissed legs, after the third bottle and time to go home, which was a mile away, and an easy walk but not after this brew it was decided just to sleep where we had been sitting..after that i decided not to bother with it...but good luck with yours
  12. Gets a big thumbs-up from me, too. Hoping to move up from kits to all-grain in the near future as space allows. 48 bottles of Pils at home waiting patiently for me.

Brewed off and on for about 30 years, pipe, slippers, cardigan. Too fat to fly, too old to give a ****.
  13. Brotherton Lad

Just because you can brew highly sugared falling down water doesn't mean you have to. 4 to 5% abv is fine for most purposes.
  14. Brotherton Lad

You measure original gravity and final gravity using a hydrometer (or refractometer, if you're flash). Kits are designed to produce standard strength beers. For some reason, some people add extra sugar or extract for added oblivion.

I put this up last year, it's all grain brewing. For kit brewing you need a cooker, some big pans, a FV, a keg or bottles and some bits and bobs:

Real Ale for Real Men? | Page 11 | Army Rumour Service

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  15. squeekingsapper

squeekingsapper LE Reviewer

Agreed that's a really nice looking pint there.

Daft question, but how do you get a head on it like that?. I have only had a couple of goes at home brew and although it wasn't too bad, I have never been able to produce anything with a head on it. After reading this thread, I am going to get myself another pack and get some more going for this summer.