Home test available within days

4(T)

LE
I bet it's these guys

Reading the blurb, I wonder how accurate it is?

E.g. I've just had a "normal" cold; I don't see how this test could differentiate between "normal" viral infections and the coronavirus. In fact, aren't most colds a variant of coronavirus anyway?

endure

GCM

endure

GCM

E.g. I've just had a "normal" cold; I don't see how this test could differentiate between "normal" viral infections and the coronavirus. In fact, aren't most colds a variant of coronavirus anyway?

The tests look for antibodies that are specific to COVID-19

I would hope and expect that the testing that they are carrying out will prove it one way or another.

All you need is a thermometer.....
Not necessarily so when you consider that many people are asymptomatic meaning they show no symptoms of having the virus. The could have contracted the virus and not have had a high temperature.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was wondering how the government has managed to order "millions" that will be available "in days". Which manufacturer in UK has that volume production capability?
I'm sure it could be just a tweak to the test process inside a diabetes self-tester. Same little prick (fnar), different test going on inside.

I don't see why Accu-Chek et al couldn't have been encouraged to prepare to modify their kits and the test developers work so that the test and the hardware can mate.

But I am not a test hardware designer.

That's what I'm hoping for. I've stayed isolated even thought I feel fine now and have done since Saturday. Pointless taking any risks.
Glad you're getting over it. Keep well.

And knowing you don't have it today doesn't mean that you're not going to get it tomorrow, or next week, or next month.
But catching it early is better than catching it later.

I might be missing something here but there were suggestions in the article that those people who have been infected could be allowed to ignore the restrictions on movement etc.

I thought the whole point of everyone staying indoors as much as reasonable was to prevent the transmission to the vulnerable? If we're going to say "everyone stay home unless you've had COVID-19 in which case do what you want" then we might as well have kept the schools open, albeit with alterations for staffing, and let anyone willing to run the risk of getting infected crack on as normal.

Is it just a journo inventing things?

And what are the chances of anyone being able to get hold of one of these tests within the next, say, 3 months.

I mean apart from no chance at all.
Given they're going to be available via Amazon, a pretty good chance.

Dr Death

War Hero
Re, general public . I do hope that the fcukwits that decide they want to panic buy- stock up, are arrested and charged with gross moronic idiocy, and jailed, and any shops that decide to hike up the price, are done for profiteering.
IF sold in supermarkets & pharmacies Mrs Average will buy at least 10 so she can test the brats when ever they say mummy I don't feel well, or have eaten too much as she has filled the freezer so full she gets her portly husband to squash the lid down.

YOU should have to show ID, go on a database and 1 or 2 per person only to be used in an emergency.

endure

GCM
Catching it and recovering from it is just a natural form of vaccination so presumably once you've recovered you're no longer infectious.

Not for the first time, Grauniad wrong. CMO has firmly squashed the idea any test is going to be rolled out via Amazon etc. Prioritisation of health workers first, then gradual roll-out. IF the test passes trials.

They don't seem to know if that's definitely the case. I hope it is or it's a right bugger
It almost certainly will be. What isn't known is how rapidly this version of the virus mutates and if the mutations are enough to allow it to bypass immunity from a previous infection.

Your immune system will recognise the virus as being the same as before and rapidly destroy that virus without you realising. However, if the virus mutates enough that the proteins on the outside are different then your body won't recognise it as it will 'look' different.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not for the first time, Grauniad wrong. CMO has firmly squashed the idea any test is going to be rolled out via Amazon etc. Prioritisation of health workers first, then gradual roll-out. IF the test passes trials.
My understanding is that since Amazon have a vast and skilled distribution service, they have agreed to ship the kits to whomever.

Given they're going to be available via Amazon, a pretty good chance.
Well you say that but how many mongs will buy a dozen or more, on the grounds that if they only buy one and it shows they haven't caught it yet, they will need to stockpile a good number so they can test themselves every few days?

Not that anyone would be so selfish as to hoard stuff of course, I mean it hasn't happened at all so far. Errm, has it?

Latest Threads