home security camera package

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by flynavy, Jan 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone reccommend a decent ip camera system or video camera system for the home. Also one that can be viewed online/ notifies you when it detects movement etc
  2. Try Maplins, lots of different models available, speak to the 'Older Staff/Geeks' on the Information Desk for more advice and not the 'Spotty Yoff' on the tills.

Once you have decide what fits your needs and before you buy it, buy the Maplin catalouge as it has discount vouchers in the back, (or nick the vouchers out of the shops display copy).

They also do a special offer leaflet which sometimes includes camera systems etc.

YALE Alarms also do cctv.

Another place to purchase is COSTCO's but price check before hand and remember that VAT has to be added to COSTCO prices but the tickets normally show both prices.

A number of the more professional security companies do cctv which connects stright to a control room once activated. The Corps Of Commissionaires being one such company.
  3. Been done before. Ive got a DCS 5230 that does all this. I am just worried who else is watching these days...
  4. Either the current or last issue of PC Pro did a review of susch systems. Very interesting and should be useful to you.
  5. many thanks, will have a look at some of the suggestions
  6. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

The BQ ones are very low resolution cameras, which doesn't matter if the target is very very close. I had one of these fitted for a while, but in all honesty about as much use as tit on a builders hat.

You pay for what you get, go for cheap cameras if its a toy or a gimmick.

I opted to get a better system, going from 2 to 4 cameras, a network DVR and an ability to remove the images from the recorder afterwards in order that footage can be used as evidence in event of a break in.

I can know log into my cameras from Spain when on Holiday via IPAD and IPHONE, have decent sized monitors in bedroom, office and kitchen and can survey my kingdom from the comfort of the trumping pot.

As much as Aunty Stella is an utter melty headed fridge licker, this is his domain, and in fairness to the fat brummie **** he's dug out blind on my system, drop him a PM promise him a pie and am sure he will offer you sound advice and where to get the kit from.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. tescos are selling one for 50 quid, and you can link to your iphone or android and view it
  8. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Like I say, you pay for what you get.

IF you need a camera to watch someone break into your house, get yourself along to Tesco, BQ or Aldi and grab a basic home cam kit. If you want a system that will record, allow retrieval of footage (Admittable in court) then don't bother and get the right kit for the job.

Don't get one of those dog bonk systems that interrupts your TV each time someone farts on the driveway or a cat bimbles accross your fence. A decent system isn't extortionate giving you effective 24 hour night and day via IR coverage.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I bought a CCTV & recorder set from these guys in Croydon:

Home > Y3K (Europe) Limited

They have a customer counter. Very helpful and informative service. They do a wide variety of "packages" to suit all budgets and circumstances, and even customise these where necessary. Their showroom had about 50 different cameras on display last time I was there - very interesting to see exactly what you get for your money in terms of resolution, etc.