Home secretary Jacqui Smith scared of walking London alone

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by armchair_jihad, Jan 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in full

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article3216678.ece

2. Was'nt this the same cupid stunt who claimed, after the scum who kicked a man to death had been sentanced, that "We don't live in a broken society"?

Hypocritical, cowardly lying cnut. Where's a suicide bomber when you really need one? :x

3. When back in UK I do not go out boozing of a night for I know the sort of scum that exsist in my home town.
    john

4. I wonder who's going to be the first to admit that all these cctv schemes up and down the country do nothing to prevent crime. They are the biggest bloody con-trick this country has seen in years. Stick up a camera and reduce the police presence..... Then crimes happen...... Then the Police claim the cameras are an aid in crime detection, not prevention, and happily use them to make their detection figures look good.
    It's bollocks, and the whole country is giving up their civil liberties in the vain hope that it will help.

5. Well then Jacqui, I suggest you put the shocking hours in and sort it out, instead of (or possibly as well as) flashing your mamms at the despatch box!

6. Here's a thought - she's Home Secretary, 'New' Labour have been in power for ten years..........WHY DON'T THEY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT?

7. [quote="Chuffit]I wonder who's going to be the first to admit that all these cctv schemes up and down the country do nothing to prevent crime. They are the biggest bloody con-trick this country has seen in years. Stick up a camera and reduce the police presence..... Then crimes happen...... Then the Police claim the cameras are an aid in crime detection, not prevention, and happily use them to make their detection figures look good.
    It's balls, and the whole country is giving up their civil liberties in the vain hope that it will help.[/quote]

Err.... :D

CCTV cameras don't deter drunken yobs, admits police chief

8. Err.... :D

CCTV cameras don't deter drunken yobs, admits police chief[/quote]

Drunken yobs is only a small part of it though. The last two studies commissioned by the Home Office show clearly that CCTV does feck-all in every single area except in car parks against car-crime, and even that could be done better by having better lighting.
    That article you quote says, at the end, this..... A recent Home Office study round that 80 per cent of images from CCTV cameras were of such poor quality they were worthless as evidence.

To combat the problem, Mr Gerrard said he would like all camera owners and operators to be required by law to produce high quality images using a standardised system so the police could use them effectively in court.
    The problem isn't just poor quality pictures that are not much help in detection, it's that the camera schemes don't prevent crime occurring in the first place.
    CCTV is constantly referred to by the police as an 'extra tool in the toolbox of crime-prevention'. Aye, it's that all right, it's that pair of circlip pliers you bought and never used because you handed the repair on to someone else.

9. msr

msr LE

They have been trying to, but it was all in vain as their ideas are wrong.

msr

10. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7198508.stm

Smith admits London street fear

Ms Smith says she did walk around her Redditch constituency
    Home Secretary Jacqui Smith has admitted she would not feel safe walking around London after dark.
    Ms Smith told the Sunday Times that she would not be comfortable alone at night in deprived parts of the capital, as well as more affluent areas.

Asked if she would feel safe walking alone in the Hackney neighbourhood, Ms Smith replied: "Well, no, but I don't think I'd have ever have done."

Labour says crime is down compared to the Tories' time in power in the 1990s.

'Fortunate'

In the interview with the Sunday Times, Ms Smith was asked why she would not feel safe on Hackney's streets at night.

She replied: "Well, I just don't think that's a thing that people do, is it, really?"

I don't get the opportunity to get out on my own now but I certainly have done in the recent past

Jacqui Smith
    Home Secretary

She was also questioned about how she would feel if she was walking through the more affluent area of Kensington and Chelsea after dark.

"Well, I wouldn't walk around at midnight and I'm fortunate that I don't have to do that," she said.

Ms Smith told the newspaper she used to walk around Redditch, her constituency in Worcestershire, but added that she no longer got the chance because she was protected by police bodyguards.

"I don't get the opportunity to get out on my own now but I certainly have done in the recent past," she said.

'Kebab purchase'

Following the interview, the newspaper claimed it was contacted by one of the home secretary's aides who said that Ms Smith's remarks had not come out as she had intended.
    The aide added that Ms Smith had recently "bought a kebab in Peckham" - an area of south London considered one of the most deprived.

Challenged about the comments on BBC One's the Andrew Marr show, she said: "You don't walk in areas you don't know, in any circumstances."

But she said people were "much less likely to be a victim of crime" since Labour came to power.

Figures released by the Metropolitan Police in October last year showed overall crime in London had dropped 6.1% between April and September 2007, but that gun crime had risen by nearly 10%.

Ms Smith told the newspaper the government had a "big job" to persuade people that towns and cities had not become more dangerous.

"I understand that whilst it's a fact that crime is falling, what you want to know is what's happening on your street; what the police officers in your area are doing and who they are," she said.

"That's one thing we'll provide to people. Serious violence is something we need to address"

did she buy the kebab or did her police officers? :wink:

11. Isn't this a bit of a non story.Would anyone have felt safe walking the streets of some parts of London EVER

12. Is it not the case that no Liarbour politician is safe walking around on their own?

13. Interesting - I am not convinced that they have been trying to, because their ideology simply does not allow them to address the problems. It is not that they have failed to hit on the right idea yet, it is that they are 'institutionally' incapable of taking the necessary measures. 'New' Labour is almost entirely staffed by student radicals who have failed to grow up - they have not yet overcome their innate hatred of the instruments of authority (the Police, the Armed Forces, the Prison Service) that they developed in the Student Union.

They also have a classically naive belief in the inherent 'goodness' of everybody and the mistaken belief that the only reason people go bad is because society has failed them. That is, of course, b*ll*cks. This has finally manifested itself in their slavish incorporation of a one-sided Human Rights Act (rights without responsibilities - something that the various 'New' labour apologists on this site appear to believe is entirely reasonable for some barking-mad reason) which has finally hamstrung the State in its prime responsibility to safeguard the rights of those who are prepared to honour their responsibilities.

14. Buying Kebabs, Hash Head munchies?

15. It's hardly a non-story; God help us, but this silly tart actually has a great deal of power. She is a member of the Cabinate and, as such, is partly responsible for the sh1thole certain parts of our country have turned into.

Personally, I'd remove ALL police protection from EVERY member of parliament. That should concentrate their minds on sorting out the mess they have made. :x